Flow rate in underfloor heating system

In summary, we are discussing an underfloor heating system in an apartment building. Each apartment has its own distribution box with a number of loops and a thermostatic mixing valve set to 35°C. The loops are intended to work with a ΔT of 5°C (35-30), and the riser pipe supply temperature is 75°C. With five loops, each providing 0.69 kW, we wonder what will happen if the flow rate is doubled to 4 l/min (0.066 l/s). The loop's ΔT will decrease as the water flows faster, but the average temperature in the system will be higher. This may require the mixing valve to use more of the 75°C water provided by the
TSN79
Consider an underfloor heating system in an apartment building. Each apartment has its own distribution box with a number of loops and a thermostatic mixing valve set to 35°C. The loops are intended to work with a ΔT of 5°C (35-30), and the riser pipe supply temperature is 75°C. Say there are five loops, each with a flow of 2 l/min (0,033 l/s). Using the equation kW = l/s ⋅ 4,18 ⋅ ΔT each loop provides about 0,69 kW. The loops rely on a separate circulator in each distribution box.

I wonder what will happen if each loop's flow rate is doubled to 4 l/min (0,066 l/s). The loop's ΔT will naturally decrease as the water flows faster, but I'm tempted to consider it simply as an exchange where ΔT is halved as the flow is doubled. Am I correct? Does that also mean that the mixing valve will need to receive the same flow of 75°C water from the riser as when the loops had 2 l/min?

Engineering news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
I wonder what will happen if each loop's flow rate is doubled to 4 l/min (0,066 l/s). The loop's ΔT will naturally decrease as the water flows faster, but I'm tempted to consider it simply as an exchange where ΔT is halved as the flow is doubled. Am I correct?
No. The relationship between flow, delta-T and heat transfer is just that: a relationship between simultaneous quantities. It is not a description/model of what actually causes the heat transfer.

What causes the heat transfer is the temperature difference between water and pipe, pipe and floor and floor and air. Modeling that is somewhat difficult, but at least we can answer the conceptual question easily: Since increasing the flow while keeping the supply temperature constant decreases the delta-T, the average temperature in your system is now higher...

Likes CWatters
russ_watters said:
Since increasing the flow while keeping the supply temperature constant decreases the delta-T, the average temperature in your system is now higher...
Thank you. Regarding the last question - since the return temperature will now be higher, the floor surface will be somewhat warmer. And if that increases the temperature difference between floor and air, then more heat will be transferred. Does that indicate that the mixing valve will need to use a bit more of the 75°C water provided by the riser?

TSN79 said:
Thank you. Regarding the last question - since the return temperature will now be higher, the floor surface will be somewhat warmer. And if that increases the temperature difference between floor and air, then more heat will be transferred. Does that indicate that the mixing valve will need to use a bit more of the 75°C water provided by the riser?
Yes according to conservation of energy. If more power goes into the room then the boiler/furnace must supply more power to the heating system.

However... Most systems have room stats. If these keep the room temperature reasonably constant then the losses through the walls and windows will be constant so the long term energy use will be constant. So it might use more 75C water when the stats are calling for heat but they will call for heat for less of the time.

TSN79 said:
The setup isn't clear to me(a diagram would help...), but if this is a true primary secondary arrangement the two flow rates are totally independent of each other. If this "mixing valve" is really a flow control valve, it controls the flow. If the valve position doesn't change but the secondary flow rises, the mixing situation may reduce the supply temperature making the assumption i made in my previous post false. I can't be sure without seeing a diagram of the piping arrangement.

What is flow rate in an underfloor heating system?

Flow rate refers to the volume of water that is circulated through the underfloor heating system in a given period of time. It is measured in liters per hour (L/h) or gallons per minute (GPM) and is an important factor in the efficiency and effectiveness of the system.

Why is flow rate important in underfloor heating systems?

The flow rate directly affects the rate at which heat is distributed throughout the room. If the flow rate is too low, the room may not reach the desired temperature and the system may be inefficient. If the flow rate is too high, it can put unnecessary strain on the system and lead to higher energy costs.

How is flow rate determined in underfloor heating systems?

The flow rate can be calculated by dividing the heat output of the system by the temperature difference between the supply and return water. This calculation takes into account factors such as pipe diameter, length, and type of flooring. It is important to consult a professional to determine the appropriate flow rate for your specific underfloor heating system.

Can the flow rate be adjusted in an underfloor heating system?

Yes, the flow rate can be adjusted by adjusting the flow rate valve or pump speed. This can be done manually or through the use of a thermostat or control system. It is important to make sure the flow rate is within the recommended range for optimal performance of the system.

What are the potential consequences of an incorrect flow rate in an underfloor heating system?

If the flow rate is too low, the room may not reach the desired temperature and the system may be inefficient. If the flow rate is too high, it can put unnecessary strain on the system and lead to higher energy costs. Additionally, an incorrect flow rate can cause uneven heating in the room and potentially damage the system over time.