Fluid dynamics, Pipe Flow, Hagen Poiseuille, Darcy's equation

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum average velocity and pressure drop in a water injection line made from smooth capillary tubing with an inside diameter of 0.25 mm and a length of 0.75 m, assuming laminar flow up to a Reynolds number of 2000. The equation u=-1/4μ*(dP/dx)(R^2-r^2) is relevant, and the viscosity of water can be assumed to be approximately 1 centipoise at room temperature. The maximum average velocity is 8 m/s and the pressure drop required is 3 072 MPa. However, there is no way to circumvent needing to know the viscosity of water in order to solve this problem.
sandpants

Homework Statement

A water injection line is made from smooth capillary tubing with inside
diameter D = 25.0 mm . If the length of the pipe is 0.75 m and assuming
laminar flow is present up to Re = 2000, find

(i) the maximum average velocity at which the flow is laminar
(ii) the pressure drop required to deliver this maximum velocity.

[Answer: (i) u = 8 m/s; (ii) ∆p = 3 072 MPa ]

Homework Equations

Everything related to laminar flows in pipes used the hagen poiseuille equation and Darcy's equations.

u=-1/4μ*(dP/dx)(R^2-r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Just some random substitutions, like setting -(dP/dx)=Δp/L and then equating that to Darcy's 4f/d*ρU^2/2

But the issue is the viscosity. I can't get rid of it, and I can't find it. Though I can understand why it is not given, as it would make things way too easy.

Anything about viscosity?

Physics news on Phys.org
sandpants said:

Homework Statement

A water injection line is made from smooth capillary tubing with inside
diameter D = 25.0 mm . If the length of the pipe is 0.75 m and assuming
laminar flow is present up to Re = 2000, find

(i) the maximum average velocity at which the flow is laminar
(ii) the pressure drop required to deliver this maximum velocity.

[Answer: (i) u = 8 m/s; (ii) ∆p = 3 072 MPa ]

Homework Equations

Everything related to laminar flows in pipes used the hagen poiseuille equation and Darcy's equations.

u=-1/4μ*(dP/dx)(R^2-r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Just some random substitutions, like setting -(dP/dx)=Δp/L and then equating that to Darcy's 4f/d*ρU^2/2

But the issue is the viscosity. I can't get rid of it, and I can't find it. Though I can understand why it is not given, as it would make things way too easy.

Anything about viscosity?

Look up the viscosity of water at room temperature. At 20C, it's about 1 centipoise.

Are you sure about that diameter? 25 mm sounds like an awfully big capillary. Did you mean 25μm?

If you know the viscosity, the density, the diameter, and the Reynolds number, you have enough info to calculate the average velocity.

The equation you wrote is not the Hagen Poiseuille equation. That equation expresses the pressure drop in terms of either the volumetric throughput rate, or equivalently, the average velocity. What is that equation?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Look up the viscosity of water at room temperature. At 20C, it's about 1 centipoise.

Are you sure about that diameter? 25 mm sounds like an awfully big capillary. Did you mean 25μm?

If you know the viscosity, the density, the diameter, and the Reynolds number, you have enough info to calculate the average velocity.

The equation you wrote is not the Hagen Poiseuille equation. That equation expresses the pressure drop in terms of either the volumetric throughput rate, or equivalently, the average velocity. What is that equation?

Chet

You are right about the diameter. Its 0.25mm.

Non the less, if viscosity was given it would be awfully easy to get the velocity. Another thing is, no temperature is given, which it is a bit iffy to make an assumption about what viscosity to use. Is there no way to get it out of there?

sandpants said:
You are right about the diameter. Its 0.25mm.

Non the less, if viscosity was given it would be awfully easy to get the velocity. Another thing is, no temperature is given, which it is a bit iffy to make an assumption about what viscosity to use. Is there no way to get it out of there?

What's the context of this exercise? What values for the viscosity of water have you been given in your notes/textbook? In short, is there anything which suggests that you should do otherwise than assume a temperature of 20 degrees? Working backwards from the given answer suggests that you are supposed to make that assumption, so there must be something in the context to tell you that or the exercise is poorly designed.

Likes 1 person
You know that, in the real world, you are not going to be spoon fed all the data. If you knew that the problem statement was missing the viscosity, you should have looked it up. After all, the problem statement did say room temperature. Would it have mattered much to the answer if you had used 22C or 23C? All you needed to do was to google viscosity of water. PAsmith confirmed that this would have been the right thing to do.

Chet

Likes 1 person
I assumed that there must be a way to circumvent viscosity because the emphasis of the topic was the equation u=-1/4μ*(dP/dx)*(R^2-r^2) (for laminar flows). Knowing viscosity means you can find the velocity through reynolds number Re=ρud/μ which is kinda trivial. Only thing that's left is finding the pressure difference which is not difficult either.

All that was given was what I wrote. Something like that can pop up on the exam and I don't get to check water viscosity on the internet.

It does work out in the end, yeah. I'm asking for clarity though, is there no way to circumvent needing viscosity there?

Definitely not.

Chet

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids (liquids and gases) move and behave under different conditions, such as changes in pressure and temperature. It is a branch of physics that helps us understand the properties of fluids and how they interact with their surroundings.

2. What is pipe flow?

Pipe flow refers to the movement of a fluid through a closed system of pipes, such as water moving through a plumbing system. It is an important aspect of fluid dynamics and is used in various industries, including water supply, oil and gas transportation, and chemical processing.

3. What is the Hagen Poiseuille equation?

The Hagen Poiseuille equation is a mathematical formula that describes the flow of a Newtonian fluid (a fluid that follows Newton's laws of motion) through a circular pipe. It takes into account factors such as fluid viscosity, pipe length and diameter, and pressure gradient to calculate the flow rate of the fluid.

4. What is Darcy's equation?

Darcy's equation is another mathematical formula used to calculate fluid flow, specifically in porous media such as soil or rock. It takes into account factors such as fluid viscosity, permeability of the medium, and pressure gradient to determine the flow rate of the fluid.

5. How are Hagen Poiseuille and Darcy's equations related?

Both Hagen Poiseuille and Darcy's equations are used to calculate fluid flow, but they are applied to different types of systems. Hagen Poiseuille is used for flow through pipes, while Darcy's equation is used for flow through porous media. However, both equations are based on similar principles and can be derived from the same fundamental equations of fluid mechanics.