Fluid dynamics question (Poiseuille)

In summary: But the pressure difference is zero, so the net force must also be zero.Thanks in advance.Hi, Andrew. Welcome to PF!In summary, the simplified model of blood flow through the human body assumes that the flow is proportional to the pressure differential between any two points in the system. This equation can be used to calculate the average velocity through a blood vessel. The force on the walls of a vessel is determined by the pressure difference and the cross-sectional area.
Andrew Jacobson
Hi, I'm attempting to do a question involving blood flowing through a blood vessel and I'm incredibly stuck and would appreciate some help. The question is as follows:
'A simplified model of blood flow through the human body makes the approximation that the flow I is proportional to the pressure differential ΔP between any two points of the system ΔP∝I.
Take a length of vessel L with diameter d and viscosity η and let v(r) be the velocity as measured by r from the central axis. Assuming that the blood flow is laminar we can then model:
v(r)=ΔP((d2/4)-r2)/4ηL
The viscous force Fv acts on any cylindrical element due to the slow moving blood outside the element. The magnitude is given by:
Fv=-ηAdv/dr where A=2πrL.'
'(a) Sketch v(r) and then calculate the average velocity through the vessel'
I sketched it as a negative x^2 graph except it doesn't go below the x axis. For the average velocity I integrated to find the area under the curve and then divided by the range. This gave me (ΔPd2)/(24ηL)
'(b) calculate the flow through the vessel'
I said that the flow = ∫v(r)2πrdr between d/2 and 0 and get the answer (ΔPπd4)/128ηL
'(c) Calculate the force on the walls of the vessel'
Here I was a little less sure. I worked out dv/dr to be -(ΔPr)/(2ηL) and then substituted it into the given equation to get F=ΔPπr2 and then subbed in r=d/2 (because it's the force at the wall) to get F=(ΔPπd2/4
'(d) What is the net force on the vessel? Show this is consistent with your answer to (c)'
Here is where I'm completely stuck. I've tried making ΔP=dF/dA and solving differentially but I'm extremely confused. If somebody could help with this part (and correct me if I've gone wrong beforehand) then it'd be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Andrew. Welcome to PF!

Your work looks excellent. In part (d) I guess they want an alternate way to get the force on the vessel that's different than the method of part (c).

Suppose you consider the entire volume of fluid in the vessel of length L. What external forces act on this volume of fluid?

TSny said:
Hi,external w. Welcome to PF!

Your work looks excellent. In part (d) I guess they want an alternate way to get the force on the vessel that's different than the method of part (c).

Suppose you consider the entire volume of fluid in the vessel of length L. What external forces act on this volume of fluid?
Thank you for the quick reply! Uhm... would the external forces be the ones from the walls acting on the blood thus making the net force 0?

The total force from the cylindrical wall of the vessel would be one of the forces on the on the cylindrical section of blood of length L. But there is also a force on each circular end of the cylindrical section of blood.

Andrew Jacobson said:
Hi, I'm attempting to do a question involving blood flowing through a blood vessel and I'm incredibly stuck and would appreciate some help. The question is as follows:
'A simplified model of blood flow through the human body makes the approximation that the flow I is proportional to the pressure differential ΔP between any two points of the system ΔP∝I.
Take a length of vessel L with diameter d and viscosity η and let v(r) be the velocity as measured by r from the central axis. Assuming that the blood flow is laminar we can then model:
v(r)=ΔP((d2/4)-r2)/4ηL
The viscous force Fv acts on any cylindrical element due to the slow moving blood outside the element. The magnitude is given by:
Fv=-ηAdv/dr where A=2πrL.'
'(a) Sketch v(r) and then calculate the average velocity through the vessel'
I sketched it as a negative x^2 graph except it doesn't go below the x axis. For the average velocity I integrated to find the area under the curve and then divided by the range. This gave me (ΔPd2)/(24ηL)

The average velocity is usually calculated as the volumetric throughput rate (the flow through the vessel) divided by the cross sectional area of the tube.
'(b) calculate the flow through the vessel'
I said that the flow = ∫v(r)2πrdr between d/2 and 0 and get the answer (ΔPπd4)/128ηL
'(c) Calculate the force on the walls of the vessel'
Here I was a little less sure. I worked out dv/dr to be -(ΔPr)/(2ηL) and then substituted it into the given equation to get F=ΔPπr2 and then subbed in r=d/2 (because it's the force at the wall) to get F=(ΔPπd2/4
This just shows that the shear force at the wall is equal to the pressure difference times the cross sectional area; thus the net force on the fluid is zero.
'(d) What is the net force on the vessel? Show this is consistent with your answer to (c)'
This is a little confusing. The net force on the vessel is equal to the shear force on the wall. The pressure forces are not acting on the vessel axially.

Chestermiller said:
This is a little confusing. The net force on the vessel is equal to the shear force on the wall. The pressure forces are not acting on the vessel axially.
My interpretation of part (d) is to find the shear force on the vessel "indirectly" by using the fact that the net force on the fluid is zero and Newton's third law. But I could be mistaken.

Related to Fluid dynamics question (Poiseuille)

1. What is Poiseuille's law?

Poiseuille's law, also known as the Hagen-Poiseuille law, describes the relationship between the flow rate of a fluid through a pipe and the factors that affect it, such as the diameter and length of the pipe and the viscosity of the fluid. It states that the flow rate is directly proportional to the pressure difference and the fourth power of the pipe's radius, and inversely proportional to the length of the pipe and the viscosity of the fluid.

2. What is the significance of Poiseuille's law?

Poiseuille's law is significant because it provides a quantitative understanding of how different factors affect the flow of a fluid through a pipe. This helps scientists and engineers design and optimize systems that involve fluid flow, such as pipelines, blood vessels, and ventilation systems.

3. What is the unit of measurement for viscosity?

The unit of measurement for viscosity is the poise (P), named after Jean Louis Marie Poiseuille. It is defined as the force required to move a surface of one square centimeter past another surface at a velocity of one centimeter per second, with a fluid layer of one centimeter in between. The SI unit for viscosity is the Pascal-second (Pa·s), but the poise is more commonly used in fluid dynamics.

4. How does temperature affect viscosity?

Temperature has a significant effect on viscosity. In general, as temperature increases, the viscosity of a fluid decreases. This is because at higher temperatures, molecules in the fluid have more kinetic energy, leading to weaker intermolecular forces and easier flow. However, the relationship between temperature and viscosity varies for different fluids and can also depend on other factors, such as pressure and shear rate.

5. What is the difference between laminar and turbulent flow?

Laminar flow is characterized by smooth, orderly movement of fluid particles in parallel layers, with minimal mixing between layers. It occurs at low flow rates and is described by Poiseuille's law. In contrast, turbulent flow is chaotic and unpredictable, with fluid particles moving in irregular patterns and mixing vigorously. It occurs at high flow rates and is described by different models, such as the Reynolds number and the Navier-Stokes equations.