Fluid Dynamics - Water Storage Tank

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about calculating the size and location of water thrust force on a fresh water storage tank, drawing a side view of the tank, and determining the required resisting force at the clasp to keep the panel shut. The conversation also includes a link to attached workings and a question about the measurement of ##\bar h## and the calculation of the clasp force.
AutumnBeds
Hi All,

Looking for some help (any is greatly appreciated). I've been tasked with the below, and am unable to find a worked example to cross check my work against.

If anyone with a greater knowledge than me could have a look at the below and advise if I'm right the right track.

Thanks

1. Homework Statement

A fresh water storage tank in a factory is shown in the figure above. Its top side is denoted as C, the narrow side as B and the long side as A. In order to allow regular maintenance and cleaning side A is hinged at its bottom edge and secured using a heavy-duty clasp at its top edge. L = 1.25m, H = 0.6m & W = 0.5m

Side a has a length of 1.25m and height 0.6m

When the tank is totally full of water:

a) Calculate the size and location of the water thrust force on side A

b) Draw a side on view of side A (looking along arrow D) and show the size of the two forces acting on the tank side and how high they are located from the bottom of the tank

c) Calculate the required resisting force at the clasp to keep the panel shut.

Homework Equations

See attached workings

http://imgur.com/a/b2QbQ

The Attempt at a Solution

See attached workings

http://imgur.com/a/b2QbQ

Physics news on Phys.org
It is unclear whether you are measuring ##\bar h## from the top or from the bottom.

I do not understand your calculation of the clasp force. How does a square root come into it?

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, move and behave under different conditions. It involves the analysis of the forces and motions of fluids, and how these can be predicted and controlled.

2. What is a water storage tank?

A water storage tank is a large container used to store and hold water for future use. It can be made of various materials, such as plastic, concrete, or metal, and can range in size from small household tanks to large industrial tanks.

3. How does fluid dynamics relate to water storage tanks?

Fluid dynamics is important in the design and function of water storage tanks. It helps to determine factors such as the flow rate of water into and out of the tank, the pressure exerted on the tank walls, and the stability of the tank under different conditions.

4. What are some factors that can affect the dynamics of water in a storage tank?

There are several factors that can affect the dynamics of water in a storage tank. These include the shape and size of the tank, the level of water in the tank, the temperature of the water, and the presence of any obstacles or barriers within the tank.

5. How can fluid dynamics be used to improve the efficiency of water storage tanks?

By understanding the principles of fluid dynamics, engineers can design water storage tanks that are more efficient and effective. This can involve optimizing the tank's shape and size, as well as implementing strategies to improve the flow and distribution of water within the tank.