Finding power as a function of time in transferring water

In summary, we have found that the power of the external agent required to transfer all the water from a cylindrical tank to another container at a constant rate can be expressed as P(t) = (M/T)g(h+Ht/T), and the total work done in this process is Wtot = Mg(h+HT/2). This solution was derived using the work-energy theorem and taking into account the uniform rate of water transfer.
Kanda ryu

Homework Statement

A completely filled cylindrical tank of height H contains water of mass M. At a height h above the top of the tank there is another wide container. The entire water from the tank is to be transferred into the container in time T such that level of water in tank decreases at a uniform rate. How will the power of the external agent vary with time.

Homework Equations

Change in kinetic energy = sum of work done by external forces

The Attempt at a Solution

As its given uniform rate, change in kinetic energy would be zero so I used work energy theorem.
W(ext force) = change in gravitational potential energy
= mgh'
I thought of taking water of mass dm at a height x below surface of water. So h'=(h+x).I am sort of confused how to proceed here to get power as a function of time. dW/dt would give power but how to proceed on RHS.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

You're thinking along the right lines.
Can you express dm in terms of M, T, and dt? (Hint: use the fact that water is leaving the cylindrical tank at a uniform rate.)

Likes berkeman
Density = M/A H (A is base area of cylinder
So M/AH = dm/A dx
So dm = Mdx/H
As water is decreasing at a uniform rate, Adx/dt = constant
dW/dt =(Mdx/Hdt)h'g
Even if I write Adx/dt = H/T, I don't get the answer as a function of time.

Kanda ryu said:
Density = M/A H (A is base area of cylinder
So M/AH = dm/A dx
So dm = Mdx/H
As water is decreasing at a uniform rate, Adx/dt = constant
dW/dt =(Mdx/Hdt)h'g
OK
Even if I write Adx/dt = H/T, I don't get the answer as a function of time.
This equation is not quite correct. Note the overall units on each side don't match. Once you fix that, you will have an expression for dx/dt in terms of H and T. Can you use that to find x as a function of time?

Yeah sorry I meant to type Adx/dt = AH/T
dx/dt = H/T
If I integrate dx from 0 to x and dt from 0 to t, I get
x= H t /T
dW/dT = M(dx/dt)g (h+x)
P= M H/T g (h+ Ht/T)
The answer is a function of a general time 't' so maybe this should be correct, thanks a lot for your support sir.
Am I allowed to confirm my final answer from physicsforum helpers as I currently do not have the means to access the correct answer.
Again thanks,
Cheers

Correction :
P(t)= MH/TH g(h+Ht/T)
= (M/T)g(h+Ht/T)

Kanda ryu said:
Correction :
P(t)= MH/TH g(h+Ht/T)
= (M/T)g(h+Ht/T)
That looks right to me. You can see if the answer makes sense by using P(t) to find the total work done during the time interval from t = 0 to t = T. Do you get what you expect?

Yes putting t=0,T/2 and T gives favourable results.

Did you use your result for the power P(t) to derive an expression for the total work Wtot done in emptying the cylindrical tank?

Yes, on integrating P(t)dt taking limits 0 to T, I got
Wtot= Mg(h+HT/2)

Mg(h+H/2)*
Which is like all the water is concentrated at the center of cylinder (by height) and finding work done to carry that to a height h. I hope this is correct

Kanda ryu said:
Mg(h+H/2)*
Which is like all the water is concentrated at the center of cylinder (by height) and finding work done to carry that to a height h. I hope this is correct
Yes, that looks very good.

1. What is the purpose of finding power as a function of time in transferring water?

The purpose of finding power as a function of time in transferring water is to determine the rate at which energy is being transferred during the process. This information can be useful in designing and optimizing water transfer systems.

2. How is power calculated in the context of transferring water?

Power is calculated by dividing the amount of work done (energy transferred) by the time it takes to do that work. In the case of transferring water, power can be calculated by measuring the amount of water transferred (in liters or gallons) and the time it takes to transfer that amount (in seconds or minutes).

3. What factors affect the power of transferring water?

The power of transferring water can be affected by several factors, such as the volume of water being transferred, the distance it needs to be transferred, the type of pump or mechanism used, and any friction or resistance in the system.

4. How is power as a function of time graphically represented in transferring water?

Power as a function of time can be graphically represented by plotting power (in watts) on the y-axis and time (in seconds or minutes) on the x-axis. This will result in a curve that shows the rate at which power is being transferred over time.

5. How can the information on power as a function of time be used in the real world?

The information on power as a function of time can be used in various applications, such as designing more efficient water transfer systems, determining the appropriate size and type of pump to use, and identifying any potential issues or inefficiencies in the system. It can also be used to calculate the cost of transferring water and to monitor and optimize energy usage.