Fluid flow through branched nozzles

In summary, the aim of the conversation was to determine if the flow rate and velocity in three nozzles in a rectangular duct would stay constant or change in an incompressible fluid flow. The equation for flow rate (Q) was given as Q = V x A, and it was stated that the sum of the flow rates within the nozzles should equal the initial flow rate. However, it was unclear if the total flow rate would split into three equal sub flow rates or if it would remain the same. It was also mentioned that the velocity would behave similarly to the flow rate, but the question of whether or not it would need to be divided into three equal sub velocities was raised. It was suggested to mentally divide the incoming
Marki john

Homework Statement

I wanted to know if the flow rate and velocity would stay constant or change in nozzles 1,2 and 3 in a incompressible fluid flow through a rectangular duct. (Illustrated image in attachment).

Aim is to have the same amount of fluid flowing out of each of the nozzles.

Homework Equations

Flow Rate (Q) = Velocity (V) x Area (A)

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I know the sum of the flow rates within the nozzles equals the initial flow rate;

Qin = Q1 + Q2 + Q3
I am not fully sure about this.

Flow rate is dependent on velocity of the fluid flowing and the cross-sectional area. Therefore, when flow rate changes velocity would also change and vice versa.

Would the velocity be the same as the flow rate?
Vin = V1 + V2 + V3

Or velocity stays constant throughout?

I just need for this to be clarified or corrected so I am fully sure.

Attachments

• Flow.png
    Flow.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 489
Physics news on Phys.org
Marki john said:

Homework Statement

I wanted to know if the flow rate and velocity would stay constant or change in nozzles 1,2 and 3 in a incompressible fluid flow through a rectangular duct. (Illustrated image in attachment).
Aim is to have the same amount of fluid flowing out of each of the nozzles.

Homework Equations

Flow Rate (Q) = Velocity (V) x Area (A)

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I know the sum of the flow rates within the nozzles equals the initial flow rate;
Qin = Q1 + Q2 + Q3
I am not fully sure about this.
Why not? Total in = total out.
Flow rate is dependent on velocity of the fluid flowing and the cross-sectional area. Therefore, when flow rate changes velocity would also change and vice versa.
Would the velocity be the same as the flow rate?
? Velocity and flow rate have different dimensions so this question makes no sense.

Mentally divide the incoming flow into three equal subflows, one going to each nozzle, and apply Bernoulli to each subflow.

rude man said:
Why not? Total in = total out.? Velocity and flow rate have different dimensions so this question makes no sense.

Mentally divide the incoming flow into three equal subflows, one going to each nozzle, and apply Bernoulli to each subflow.

Assume there are no pressure loss in both minor and major losses and perfect ideal world conditions. According to continuity law the total in must equal total out which you are correct but I am not sure about whether the total in stays the same even in the 3 nozzles or the total in splits into 3 flow rates for each nozzles?

so Qin = Q1 = Q2 =Q3 or Qin = Q1 + Q2 + Q3 >> Qin = 3(Qnozzles)

Also what I mean about the velocity is that does it behave similar to flow rate e.g. would the velocity in need to be divided into 3 equal sub velocities or it stays the same?

Hope you could help with this. Thank you

Marki john said:
Assume there are no pressure loss in both minor and major losses and perfect ideal world conditions. According to continuity law the total in must equal total out which you are correct but I am not sure about whether the total in stays the same even in the 3 nozzles or the total in splits into 3 flow rates for each nozzles?
so Qin = Q1 = Q2 =Q3 or Qin = Q1 + Q2 + Q3 >> Qin = 3(Qnozzles)
If Qin = Q1 = Q2 =Q3 were correct then you would get out 3 times the fluid you put in! A neat trick ...
Also what I mean about the velocity is that does it behave similar to flow rate e.g. would the velocity in need to be divided into 3 equal sub velocities or it stays the same?
To answer this do what i suggested - mentally split the incoming flow Qin into 3 (not necessarily equal) streams, then apply Bernoulli to each stream. You need to do this yourself.

upload_2017-10-29_17-40-50.png

This apparently trivial problem is actually unsolvable using simplistic 1D analysis methods . You can get an answer using Bernoulli but it is unlikely to be the correct answer .

Can you tell us what project you are actually working on ? If we knew the details I'm sure we could help you design a suitable system which not only did what you wanted but was also easier to analyse .

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-29_17-40-50.png
    upload_2017-10-29_17-40-50.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 972
rude man said:
If Qin = Q1 = Q2 =Q3 were correct then you would get out 3 times the fluid you put in! A neat trick ... To answer this do what i suggested - mentally split the incoming flow Qin into 3 (not necessarily equal) streams, then apply Bernoulli to each stream. You need to do this yourself.

Yes you are right it would be 3 times more than the total in and splitting the total in into 3 would make more sense. I am fully sure now thanks to you. Thank you!

Nidum said:
View attachment 213982

This apparently trivial problem is actually unsolvable using simplistic 1D analysis methods . You can get an answer using Bernoulli but it is unlikely to be the correct answer .

Can you tell us what project you are actually working on ? If we knew the details I'm sure we could help you design a suitable system which not only did what you wanted but was also easier to analyse .

All I want is for the 3 nozzles to have the same amount of fluid flowing out of it and determine suitable size/area of each nozzles. So now that the total flow rate in can be split into 3 sub flow rates and applying Bernoulli to find out each nozzle velocities which then can be used to determine the suitable nozzle size/area from;
Flow rate = Velocity x Area >> Area = Flow rate / Velocity

Hope this makes sense and it is the correct method. Also why will the answer be unlikely correct when using Bernoulli?

Marki john said:
All I want is for the 3 nozzles to have the same amount of fluid flowing out of it and determine suitable size/area of each nozzles. So now that the total flow rate in can be split into 3 sub flow rates and applying Bernoulli to find out each nozzle velocities which then can be used to determine the suitable nozzle size/area from;
Flow rate = Velocity x Area >> Area = Flow rate / Velocity

Hope this makes sense and it is the correct method. Also why will the answer be unlikely correct when using Bernoulli?
You have to decide what output velocity you want, then you can compute the nozzle area. Or vice-versa.
All you need is the continuity equation: Qin = ΣQi, i = 1 to 3. You don't need Bernoulli to solve your problem after all (you would if you also wanted to know p1.)

Your problem states "Assume there are no pressure loss in both minor and major losses and perfect ideal world conditions." So there is no friction anywhere and so the three nozzles are totally equal in Q and V (assuming equal nozzle areas).

rude man said:
You have to decide what output velocity you want, then you can compute the nozzle area. Or vice-versa.
All you need is the continuity equation: Qin = ΣQi, i = 1 to 3. You don't need Bernoulli to solve your problem after all (you would if you also wanted to know p1.)

Your problem states "Assume there are no pressure loss in both minor and major losses and perfect ideal world conditions." So there is no friction anywhere and so the three nozzles are totally equal in Q and V (assuming equal nozzle areas).

Yes correct, Bernoulli will be used to solve the problem and Q and V and area in all 3 nozzles will be equal. Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

Why are you saying that there are no pressure changes? This is a typical flow distribution header, and the fluid velocity down the main channel is decreasing, so the fluid pressure down the main channel must be increasing (toward the dead end). Doesn't Bernoulli tell you this? Bernoulli might give a good approximation to this system if frictional losses are negligible.

1. What is fluid flow through branched nozzles?

Fluid flow through branched nozzles refers to the movement of a liquid or gas through a system of interconnected pipes or channels that branch off from a main nozzle. This type of flow can occur in various industrial, medical, and scientific applications.

2. What factors affect fluid flow through branched nozzles?

The flow rate, viscosity, density, and pressure of the fluid are some of the key factors that can affect fluid flow through branched nozzles. The geometry and size of the branched nozzle system can also play a significant role in determining the flow behavior.

3. What are the different types of fluid flow through branched nozzles?

There are two main types of fluid flow through branched nozzles: laminar flow and turbulent flow. Laminar flow occurs when the fluid moves in smooth, parallel layers, while turbulent flow is characterized by chaotic, irregular movement of the fluid particles.

4. How is fluid flow through branched nozzles measured?

The flow rate of fluid through branched nozzles can be measured using various techniques such as flow meters, pressure sensors, and velocity probes. These measurements can provide valuable data on the flow behavior and performance of the nozzle system.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid flow through branched nozzles?

Fluid flow through branched nozzles is commonly used in industries such as chemical processing, oil and gas, and food and beverage production. It is also utilized in medical devices, such as nebulizers and inhalers, and in scientific research for studying fluid dynamics and heat transfer.