Fluid Interface Frequency Transform

In summary, the conversation discusses using a Fourier transform to decompose a fluid interface into its fundamental frequencies and amplitudes. It is recommended to consider the goals and limitations of the data, such as the number of points in the time series and the Nyquist frequency, when using the FFT function. Steps should be taken to prevent aliasing, which can lead to errors in the results.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Fluid lies in a 2D rectangular channel and oscillates from a disturbance. I have several .csv files, each corresponding to a moment in time, where within each are two lists of numbers: the ##x## and ##y## position of a fluid interface. I'd like to decompose the interface into it's fundamental frequencies and amplitudes, like a Fourier transform. Any recommendation on where to look or broad idea what to do? Should I look for a single point on the interface or use the entire interface?

Picture attached for help seeing this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 5.52.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 5.52.39 PM.png
    17 KB · Views: 201
Engineering news on Phys.org
Whether you use the whole interface or a single point as it evolves in time depends on whether you're looking for temporal frequency or spatial wavenumber. You could, in principle, do a 2D spatiotemporal transform as well. It all depends on your goals.

Last edited:
How big are the files (how many points x) and how many time slices do you have? Excel will do this.

Thank you both! I'm actually going to use the fft function in MATLAB for each point in time. I think this should work.

It should but it's a question of what end result you are seeking and whether your data supports doing something like that. You may be limited by the number of points in your effective time series.

boneh3ad said:
It should but it's a question of what end result you are seeking and whether your data supports doing something like that. You may be limited by the number of points in your effective time series.
The first image I attached is an oscillation, and I have several several frames corresponding to different times. Knowing this, what kinds of questions do you raise as to whether or not the fft would work?

The issue is likely to be the sampling rate and amount of data for the time sequence. Also the FFT will assume fixed sampling interval.
The resolution in temporal and spatial frequencies is limited strictly by Nyquist.

joshmccraney said:
The first image I attached is an oscillation, and I have several several frames corresponding to different times. Knowing this, what kinds of questions do you raise as to whether or not the fft would work?

"Several frames" is not generally enough to form an effective time series. The frequency resolution of your Fourier transform is directly related to the number of points in time in your time series. The effective sampling rate will set the maximum frequency you can resolves, and the total length (in time) of your series will set the minimum frequency you can resolves. These will all be severely limiting issues if you don't have many points.

• Informative
Likes Klystron
Thanks!

hutchphd said:
The issue is likely to be the sampling rate and amount of data for the time sequence. Also the FFT will assume fixed sampling interval.
The resolution in temporal and spatial frequencies is limited strictly by Nyquist.
So I'm kind of confused on the Nyquist frequency. I'm sampling a signal and it looks like this:
Picture1.png

The sampling rate is 1 Hz, so every second. How would I calculate the Nyquist frequency?

joshmccraney said:
I saw this, but what's the highest waveform?

Ignore that part. Start with "The Nyquist frequency..."

It's just half the sampling rate and represents the highest resolvable frequency in a signal due to sampling. Frequencies above Nyquist will be aliases.

boneh3ad said:
Ignore that part. Start with "The Nyquist frequency..."

It's just half the sampling rate and represents the highest resolvable frequency in a signal due to sampling. Frequencies above Nyquist will be aliases.
Okay, so I'm sampling at 1 fps, so any recorded frequency above 1/2 fps is unreliable?

It's not unreliable. It's unresolvable. There is a reason that your spectrum only exists out to 0.5 Hz. What isn't as obvious is that any frequency that is higher than Nyquist is still showing up in that spectrum as an alias, meaning you could have meaningful error due to aliasing if you don't take steps to do anti-aliasing filtering.

boneh3ad said:
It's not unreliable. It's unresolvable. There is a reason that your spectrum only exists out to 0.5 Hz. What isn't as obvious is that any frequency that is higher than Nyquist is still showing up in that spectrum as an alias, meaning you could have meaningful error due to aliasing if you don't take steps to do anti-aliasing filtering.
Can you elaborate on the final sentence? There isn't a frequency showing higher than Nyquist in my plot, right?

Do a bit of background reading on aliasing. Your plot does not go past the Nyquist frequency, but aliases of higher frequencies can and do show up at lower frequencies if not addressed.

Likes member 428835

1. What is Fluid Interface Frequency Transform (FIFT)?

Fluid Interface Frequency Transform (FIFT) is a mathematical method used to analyze and transform data from complex fluid interfaces, such as those found in ocean waves or atmospheric turbulence. It involves breaking down the data into different frequency components, allowing for a more detailed understanding of the underlying dynamics.

2. How does FIFT differ from other frequency analysis methods?

FIFT differs from other frequency analysis methods in that it takes into account the non-linear and non-stationary nature of fluid interfaces. This allows for a more accurate and comprehensive analysis of the data, as opposed to traditional methods which may oversimplify the underlying dynamics.

3. What types of data can FIFT be applied to?

FIFT can be applied to a wide range of data related to fluid interfaces, including ocean waves, atmospheric turbulence, and even financial market data. Any data that exhibits non-linear and non-stationary behavior can benefit from the use of FIFT.

4. How is FIFT used in practical applications?

FIFT has a variety of practical applications, including weather forecasting, ocean wave prediction, and financial market analysis. It can also be used in engineering and design to better understand and model fluid interface behaviors, leading to more efficient and effective designs.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using FIFT?

Like any mathematical method, FIFT has its limitations. It may not be suitable for all types of data and may require a significant amount of computational power and expertise to implement. Additionally, the interpretation of FIFT results may be complex and require a deep understanding of fluid dynamics.