Fluid Mechanics: Momentum Equation Propeller Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the momentum equation to solve for the thrust in a propeller system, and the confusion around the presence of a factor of \frac{1}{2}. The speaker considers a control volume around the propeller and applies the change in momentum flux equation, but this method does not match the answer that uses Bernoulli's principle. The conversation then explores the possibility of making the mass flow rate constant and the subsequent difficulty in arriving at the given mass flow rate expression. The possibility of using the average of the mass flow rates is also discussed.
Master1022
Homework Statement
Show that the thrust produced by a propeller may be expressed as: [itex] T= \frac{\rho A }{2}(2V \Delta V +(\Delta V)^2 ) [/itex] where V is the forward velocity of the propeller, [itex] \Delta V [/itex] change in the velocity of the slipstream, [itex] A [/itex] the area swept by the propeller, and [itex] \rho [/itex] is the density of the air which may be considered to remain constant.
Relevant Equations
Force = Change in Momentum Flux
For this question, this is my working. The main issue is I cannot figure out where the factor of \frac{1}{2} comes from.

So I consider a control volume right around the propeller (in the frame of reference of the propeller) and I apply [itex] R(-->) Force = Change in Momentum Flux [/itex]
[tex] F = \dot{m_{o}} V_{out} - \dot{m_{in}} V_{in} [/tex]
[tex] F = \rho A (V + \Delta V)^2 - \rho A V^2 [/tex]
[tex] F = \rho A (V^2 + 2V\Delta V + (\Delta V)^2 - V^2) [/tex]
[tex] F = \rho A (2V\Delta V + (\Delta V)^2) [/tex]

and thus by Newton's 3rd law, [itex] Thrust = -F [/itex]
thus: [tex] |T| = \rho A (2V\Delta V + (\Delta V)^2) [/tex]

However, this is not the same as the answer, which seems to use Bernoulli's principle. However, I cannot see what is wrong with this method. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
How can the mass flow rate out exceed the mass flow rate in?

haruspex said:
How can the mass flow rate out exceed the mass flow rate in?
Thank you for your response. Yes, that is something that confused me as I thought this was supposed to be a steady flow process. Hmm, perhaps that is where this method falls apart.

Is there a way to attempt this problem using the momentum equation and not just Bernoulli's equation?

Master1022 said:
Thank you for your response. Yes, that is something that confused me as I thought this was supposed to be a steady flow process. Hmm, perhaps that is where this method falls apart.

Is there a way to attempt this problem using the momentum equation and not just Bernoulli's equation?
You can try the method you had, but make the mass flow rate constant. What does that give you?

haruspex said:
You can try the method you had, but make the mass flow rate constant. What does that give you?
Thanks for responding. The next part of the question is to "Hence, show that the mass flow rate is:" [itex] \dot{m} = \frac{\rho A}{2}(V + \frac{\Delta V}{2}) [/itex]. If I take the first part to be correct, I can get here just fine. However, I don't know how to arrive here otherwise. Looking at this expression, it seems to be the average of the mass flow rates in and out. Would I be able to get to the first expression by making this assumption about the mass flow rate and then following through? I thought about potentially changing the frame of reference of the propeller to get here, but that doesn't work.

I am wondering if this is an actual method in these momentum equation questions- i.e. taking the average of the mass flow rates?

Master1022 said:
it seems to be the average of the mass flow rates in and out.
There can only be one mass flow rate, in and out. The problem is how to write it in terms of the other variables. What options do you have?

1. What is the momentum equation in fluid mechanics?

The momentum equation in fluid mechanics is a fundamental equation that describes the relationship between the forces acting on a fluid and its resulting motion. It is commonly expressed as F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the fluid, m is the mass of the fluid, and a is the acceleration of the fluid.

2. How is the momentum equation used in propeller design?

The momentum equation is used in propeller design to determine the thrust generated by the propeller. The thrust is dependent on the mass flow rate of the fluid, the velocity of the fluid, and the angle of attack of the propeller blades. By manipulating these variables, engineers can optimize the design of a propeller for maximum efficiency and performance.

3. What factors affect the momentum equation in propeller performance?

The momentum equation in propeller performance is affected by several factors including the shape and size of the propeller blades, the angle of attack, the rotational speed of the propeller, and the density and viscosity of the fluid. Changes in any of these factors can alter the resulting thrust and overall performance of the propeller.

4. How does the momentum equation relate to Newton's third law of motion?

The momentum equation in fluid mechanics is closely related to Newton's third law of motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the case of a propeller, as the blades rotate and exert a force on the fluid, the fluid exerts an equal and opposite force on the blades, resulting in the generation of thrust.

5. What are some real-world applications of the momentum equation in fluid mechanics?

The momentum equation is used in a variety of real-world applications, including the design of propellers for aircraft, ships, and submarines, as well as in the design of pumps, turbines, and other fluid machinery. It is also used in the study of aerodynamics, hydrodynamics, and other areas of science and engineering that involve the motion of fluids.