Fluid mechanics (shape of free surface)

In summary, A tube of radius 'R' and height 'H' is filled with a fluid and rotated at an angular velocity 'w'. The shape of the free surface is proven to be parabolic. The initial height of the fluid is the arithmetic mean of the maximum and minimum height, and can be calculated by integrating the equation for the shape of the free surface.
Mandeep Deka

Homework Statement

A tube of radius 'R' and height 'H' (placed vertically), is filled with a fluid till a height 'h' (<H). Now it is rotated with an angular velocity 'w' about the central axis. Prove that the shape of the free surface is parabolic.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The proof of this equation is simple, and i have derived it. Now along with this question a statement was mentioned, which i aint able to prove.

Is is said that the initial height of the fluid is the arithmetic mean of the maximum height (i.e the height of the fluid at the end of the tube) and the minimum height (i.e the height of the fluid at the center). I have tried, but failed to prove it. Is the proposition valid?
If yes, I would be grateful if someone could give me some hint as to how i prove it!

Physics news on Phys.org
You will probably want to draw the radial cross-section with the parabola and the original water level crossing it. The volume of water above the original water level at the edges should equal the volume "missing" below it in the center.

exactly, but how do i do it?
That's what i am asking, How will i calculate the volume of water above and below the original level?

well you integrate your equation for the shape of the free surface from +R/2 to -R/2 and it should give 0 if you have placed the origin of the graph at (R/2,h) in the cylinder frame

I can confirm that the proposition is valid. The reason for this is due to the principle of conservation of energy in fluid mechanics. When the tube is rotated, the fluid experiences a centrifugal force which is balanced by the pressure gradient force. This results in a parabolic shape of the free surface, with the maximum height at the end of the tube and the minimum height at the center.

To prove the statement, we can use the equation for the height of the fluid at any point along the tube:

h = H + R(1-cosθ)

Where h is the height of the fluid at a point, H is the initial height of the fluid, R is the radius of the tube, and θ is the angle of rotation.

At the end of the tube (θ = π/2), the height of the fluid is h_max = H + R. At the center (θ = 0), the height of the fluid is h_min = H. Thus, the average height is:

h_avg = (h_max + h_min)/2 = (H + R + H)/2 = (2H + R)/2 = H + R/2

This is equal to the initial height of the fluid, H. Therefore, the proposition is valid.

1. What is the shape of a free surface in fluid mechanics?

The shape of a free surface in fluid mechanics is generally curved due to the effects of gravity. This is known as a meniscus, and it is a result of the surface tension between the fluid and the surrounding air or surface. The shape of the free surface can vary depending on the properties of the fluid and the container it is in.

2. How does the shape of the free surface affect the behavior of the fluid?

The shape of the free surface can greatly affect the behavior of the fluid. For example, in a container with a narrow opening, the free surface will be higher in the center and lower at the edges, creating a convex meniscus. This can affect the flow rate and pressure of the fluid. In contrast, a concave meniscus, where the edges of the free surface are higher than the center, can indicate a cohesive force between the fluid molecules, which can affect the fluid's surface tension.

3. What factors can influence the shape of the free surface?

The shape of the free surface can be influenced by various factors, such as the type of fluid, the surface tension between the fluid and its surroundings, the force of gravity, and the shape of the container the fluid is in. These factors can also interact with each other to create complex shapes and behaviors of the free surface.

4. How is the shape of the free surface related to the concept of hydrostatic equilibrium?

The shape of the free surface is closely related to the concept of hydrostatic equilibrium, which states that the pressure within a fluid at rest is constant at any given depth. The shape of the free surface is a result of the balance between the weight of the fluid above and the pressure exerted by the surrounding air or surface. This balance is what maintains the hydrostatic equilibrium of the fluid.

5. Can the shape of the free surface change over time?

Yes, the shape of the free surface can change over time due to various factors, such as external forces or changes in the properties of the fluid. For example, if a force is applied to the free surface, it can cause ripples or waves to form. Additionally, as a fluid flows, the shape of the free surface can change due to the effects of viscosity and turbulence. Therefore, understanding the dynamics of the free surface is essential in predicting and analyzing the behavior of fluids.