Fluid mechanics sinking barrel

In summary, the question involves a cylindrical barrel sinking to the bottom of the sea at a depth of 1.61 km. The seawater is assumed to be incompressible, with a density of 1020 kg/m^3 at the bottom of the sea. The pressure inside the barrel is 1.00 atm and the total surface area is 3.50 m^2. Using the formula Ptot = P surface + ρ density of water x g x h, the total pressure is calculated to be 116 atm. However, this is not a meaningful physical quantity as the net force acting on the outside of the barrel is technically zero.
xxxzyon

Homework Statement

Suppose a cylindrical barrel falls off a ship and sinks to the bottom of the sea at a depth of 1.61 km. Assume that the seawater is incompressible, so that its density at the bottom of the sea is the same at the surface :1020 kg/m^3

If the pressure inside the barrel is 1.00 atm (it was sealed at sea level) and the total surface area of the barrel is 3.50 m^2 , find the NET INWARD FORCE acting on the surface of the barrel when it reaches the bottom of the ocean.

Homework Equations

P tot = Psurface + water x g x h
P= F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

For my attempt, I used the formula Ptot = P surface + ρ density of water x g x h.
The total pressure I got was 116 atm, then I plugged this pressure into P = F/A and got a force of 4. 67 x 10^6 N...

I am not sure what I am supposed to be doing first actually, any guidance would be helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show explicitly how you came up with the 116 atm?

Sea surface pressure will balance the pressure inside the barrel, so you can ignore this for the 'net force'.
That in turn means there's no point in converting to atms. Do it all in MKS units. (I think you'll find you've made an arithmetic error.)

That said, I really don't like this question. Force is a vector; a net force involves performing a vector sum; the net force acting on the outside of the barrel is zero. Yes, you can take the pressure and multiply by the magnitude of the surface area, but the number that results has no physical meaning. Again, area is technically a vector here, so that multiplication should be done as a vector integral ∫P.dA = P∫dA = 0.
It is just possible that this is a trick question and the required answer is zero.

1. What is fluid mechanics sinking barrel?

Fluid mechanics sinking barrel is a concept in physics that studies the behavior of fluids in a container, such as a barrel, when it is submerged in water. It involves understanding the forces acting on the barrel and the pressure distribution within the fluid.

2. How does fluid mechanics sinking barrel relate to buoyancy?

Buoyancy is one of the key factors in fluid mechanics sinking barrel. It is the upward force exerted by a fluid on a submerged object, which helps to keep the barrel afloat. The weight of the barrel and the density of the fluid determine the buoyant force.

3. What factors affect the stability of a sinking barrel?

The stability of a sinking barrel is influenced by several factors, including the weight of the barrel, the density of the fluid, the shape and size of the barrel, and the distribution of weight within the barrel. These factors determine whether the barrel will sink, float, or tilt in the fluid.

4. How can fluid mechanics sinking barrel be applied in real-life situations?

Fluid mechanics sinking barrel has many practical applications, such as in shipbuilding, designing submarines, and understanding the behavior of floating objects in water. It also helps in predicting the stability of ships and other marine vessels and designing efficient water transportation systems.

5. What are some common misconceptions about fluid mechanics sinking barrel?

One common misconception is that the weight of the object determines whether it sinks or floats. However, the density of the object and the fluid it is submerged in also play a crucial role. Another misconception is that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the object, but it is actually equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object.