Fluid Mechanics -- Volume flow rate

In summary, the flow rate of a fluid at an average velocity of 8 m/s in a pipe with a diameter of 3m can be calculated using the formula Q=v*A, where v is the velocity and A is the cross-sectional area. Another equivalent formulation is Q=v*(r2π), where r is the pipe radius. The result of 18π was obtained using this formula, representing the volume of fluid passing through the pipe per unit time.
Chris18
Hey guys. I could use some explanation since I am new to FM: So my problem is the following one: Fluid flows with an average velocity 8 m/s in a pipe with diameter 3m. What is the volume flow rate?
Now, I think the formula I got to use is Q= v.A Yet, I found my solution from a formula I found on the net where (1/4π * pipe diameter^2 * V). I got my result I need 18π but I just can't understand where I got this formula from and what does it mean! Would be grateful for any assist

Homework Equations

1/4π * 9 * 8 = 72/4.π or 18π

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chris18 said:
1/4π * pipe diameter^2 * V)

Try putting the π above the divider line instead of underneath .

What is the formula for area of a pipe of given bore diameter ?

Last edited:
Chris18 said:
Hey guys. I could use some explanation since I am new to FM: So my problem is the following one: Fluid flows with an average velocity 8 m/s in a pipe with diameter 3m. What is the volume flow rate?
Now, I think the formula I got to use is Q= v.A Yet, I found my solution from a formula I found on the net where (1/4π * pipe diameter^2 * V). I got my result I need 18π but I just can't understand where I got this formula from and what does it mean!

Q=v*A where v is fluid velocity and A is cross-sectional area.

Restating your formula, Q=v*(D2π/4) where D is diameter. An equivalent formulation is Q=v*(r2π) where r is the pipe radius. The way I think of it is,
  • "How much volume fits into a pipe one meter long?" 1 meter of length times the cross-sectional area (r2π) is, in this case, 7.068 m3.
  • "How many of these volumes pass through the pipe per unit time? In this case, it is 8 linear meters per second multiplied by the volume contained within a meter of that diameter pipe.
<< Solution deleted by Mentor >>

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is volume flow rate in fluid mechanics?

Volume flow rate, also known as volumetric flow rate, is the volume of fluid that passes through a given cross-sectional area per unit time. It is often measured in units of cubic meters per second (m3/s) or liters per second (L/s).

2. How is volume flow rate calculated?

The volume flow rate can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel by the average flow velocity of the fluid. This can be represented by the formula: Q = A * v, where Q is the volume flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area, and v is the average flow velocity.

3. What factors affect volume flow rate?

The volume flow rate is affected by the size and shape of the pipe or channel, the viscosity of the fluid, and the pressure difference driving the flow. Additionally, any obstructions or changes in the flow path can also affect the volume flow rate.

4. How is volume flow rate related to mass flow rate?

The volume flow rate is related to the mass flow rate by the density of the fluid. The mass flow rate is the amount of mass that flows through a given cross-sectional area per unit time, and it can be calculated by multiplying the volume flow rate by the density of the fluid. This can be represented by the formula: m = ρ * Q, where m is the mass flow rate, ρ is the density, and Q is the volume flow rate.

5. What are some practical applications of volume flow rate?

Volume flow rate is an important concept in many industries, including plumbing, HVAC systems, and chemical engineering. It is used to design and optimize systems for efficient fluid transportation, as well as to monitor and control the flow of fluids in various processes.