Volume flow rate and mass flow rate

In summary, the pipe has a gradually tapering section with a larger diameter at the end. The flow velocity is 1.26 m/s 3 in the larger diameter.
MNWO
Hello there, so I have answered my question from fluid systems but the answer doesn't look right ;/ and I have no idea what have I done wrong. Can you please check and correct where it's wrong ? ;) here is the question:
A pipe contains a gradually tapering section in which its diameter decreases from 410mm to 260mm. The pipe contains an incompressible fluid of density 1000kgm- 3 and runs full. If the flow velocity is 2ms in the smaller diameter, determine the velocity in the larger diameter, the volume flow rate and the mass flow rate.

My calculations:
A1=260mm=0.26m
V1=2ms
A2=410mm=0.41m
V2=?
Flow rate (Q)=A1 x V1 which is equal to A2 x V2
0.26 x 2=0.52 m/s 3 (metres per second cubed)
V2= Q/A2 = 0.52/0.41
V2=1.26 m/s 3
mass flow rate (M)= Density x Q = 1000x 0.52
M=520 kg/s

I would really aprreciate any help :)

Attachments

• fluid system.png
    fluid system.png
    676 bytes · Views: 684
Physics news on Phys.org
MNWO said:
Hello there, so I have answered my question from fluid systems but the answer doesn't look right ;/ and I have no idea what have I done wrong. Can you please check and correct where it's wrong ? ;) here is the question:
A pipe contains a gradually tapering section in which its diameter decreases from 410mm to 260mm. The pipe contains an incompressible fluid of density 1000kgm- 3 and runs full. If the flow velocity is 2ms in the smaller diameter, determine the velocity in the larger diameter, the volume flow rate and the mass flow rate.

My calculations:
A1=260mm=0.26m
V1=2ms
A2=410mm=0.41m
V2=?

Be careful here. You were given the diameters of the pipe, not the areas. How does the area of a pipe depend on its diameter?

Flow rate (Q)=A1 x V1 which is equal to A2 x V2
0.26 x 2=0.52 m/s 3 (metres per second cubed)
V2= Q/A2 = 0.52/0.41
V2=1.26 m/s 3
mass flow rate (M)= Density x Q = 1000x 0.52
M=520 kg/s

I would really aprreciate any help :)

See comment above.

Likes MNWO
SteamKing said:
Be careful here. You were given the diameters of the pipe, not the areas. How does the area of a pipe depend on its diameter?
See comment above.[/QUOT
Ah okay, i know what's wrong now. Thank you for that

1. What is volume flow rate and how is it measured?

Volume flow rate is the amount of fluid that flows through a particular area in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in cubic meters per second (m^3/s) or liters per minute (L/min). This is done by using a flow meter, which can measure the velocity of the flow and the cross-sectional area of the pipe or channel it is flowing through.

2. What is mass flow rate and how does it differ from volume flow rate?

Mass flow rate is the amount of mass that flows through a particular area in a given amount of time. It is typically measured in kilograms per second (kg/s) or grams per minute (g/min). Unlike volume flow rate, mass flow rate takes into account the density of the fluid, which means it can be used to measure the flow of both liquids and gases.

3. How are volume flow rate and mass flow rate related?

Volume flow rate and mass flow rate are directly related to each other. This means that if the volume flow rate increases, the mass flow rate will also increase. However, this relationship is dependent on the density of the fluid. For example, if the fluid being measured becomes more dense, the mass flow rate will increase even if the volume flow rate remains the same.

4. What factors can affect the volume flow rate and mass flow rate?

The volume flow rate and mass flow rate can be affected by several factors, including the velocity of the fluid, the cross-sectional area of the flow, and the density of the fluid. Changes in temperature and pressure can also impact these flow rates. Additionally, any obstructions or restrictions in the flow path can alter the flow rates.

5. How are volume flow rate and mass flow rate important in different industries?

Volume flow rate and mass flow rate are essential in various industries, including manufacturing, agriculture, and environmental monitoring. In manufacturing, these flow rates are used to ensure that the correct amount of materials is flowing through the production process. In agriculture, they are used to measure irrigation water and fertilizer flow. In environmental monitoring, they are used to track the flow of pollutants in water and air. Understanding volume flow rate and mass flow rate is crucial in many industries to maintain efficiency and ensure proper regulation of fluids.