Fluid pressure question in US units

In summary, the ocean liner Titanic lies under 12500 feet of water at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. The water pressure at the Titanic can be calculated using the formula pressure=ro*g*h, where ro is the density of water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the depth of the water. When using the US system, it is important to distinguish between the unit of mass, lbm, and the unit of force, lbf. The water pressure at the Titanic can be expressed in pounds per square foot or pounds per square inch. To convert from lbm to lbf, the gravitational constant, g_c, must be taken into account.
freshman2013

Homework Statement

The ocean liner Titanic lies under 12500 feet of water at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. (The density of water is 62.4 lb/ft{}^3.)

What is the water pressure at the Titanic? (Give your answer in both pounds per square foot and pounds per square inch.)

Homework Equations

pressure=ro*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

at first, all I did was multiply 62.4*32(g in ft/s^2)*12500. The answer was wrong and then I think I found out why. I multiplied the units (lb/ft^3)*(ft/s^2)*ft and got lb/(ft*s^2) instead of lb/ft^2. Anyone get what I'm supposed to do for this problem? I never had this problem when working with metric units since kg/(m*s^2) converts nicely to N/m^2 Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
freshman2013 said:

Homework Statement

The ocean liner Titanic lies under 12500 feet of water at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. (The density of water is 62.4 lb/ft{}^3.)

What is the water pressure at the Titanic? (Give your answer in both pounds per square foot and pounds per square inch.)

Homework Equations

pressure=ro*g*h

The Attempt at a Solution

at first, all I did was multiply 62.4*32(g in ft/s^2)*12500. The answer was wrong and then I think I found out why. I multiplied the units (lb/ft^3)*(ft/s^2)*ft and got lb/(ft*s^2) instead of lb/ft^2. Anyone get what I'm supposed to do for this problem? I never had this problem when working with metric units since kg/(m*s^2) converts nicely to N/m^2 Thanks!

In the US system, the unit of mass that applies for use in Newton's second law and for getting the gravitational force on a body is the slug. The mass in slugs is equal to the mass in lbm divided by the average gravitational acceleration at the Earth's surface 32.2. Alternately, some people express Newton's second law in a little different form:

F = ma/gc

where F is the force in lbf, m is the mass of the body in lbm, a is the acceleration in ft/sec2 and

[tex]g_c=32.2 \frac{lb_m}{lb_f}\frac{ft}{sec^2}[/tex]

The difficulty with the english system is the term pounds (lb) is used for both mass (lbm) and force (lbf); these are different entities.

1. What is fluid pressure?

Fluid pressure is the force per unit area that a fluid exerts on its surroundings. It is caused by the random motion of fluid molecules colliding with each other and with the walls of the container.

2. How is fluid pressure measured in US units?

In the US, fluid pressure is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or inches of water column (inH2O). Other common units include feet of water column (ftH2O), atmospheres (atm), and millimeters of mercury (mmHg).

3. What factors affect fluid pressure?

The three main factors that affect fluid pressure are the density of the fluid, the depth or height of the fluid column, and the acceleration due to gravity. In addition, the shape and size of the container and the presence of any external forces can also impact fluid pressure.

4. How does fluid pressure change with depth?

In a stationary fluid, the pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the fluid above pushing down. This relationship is described by the equation P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is density, g is acceleration due to gravity, and h is depth. As the depth increases, the pressure increases proportionally.

5. What are some real-world applications of fluid pressure in US units?

Fluid pressure is a crucial concept in many industries, including hydraulics, pneumatics, and oil and gas. It is also important in everyday life, such as in plumbing systems, scuba diving, and weather forecasting. Additionally, understanding fluid pressure is essential for designing and maintaining structures like dams, pipelines, and airplanes.