In summary, the paper attached models a 1D fluid piston using ALE with a fluid chamber in contact with a spring. The boundary conditions for the system involve setting the velocity of the fluid and mesh equal to the piston velocity at the right boundary, and zero velocity at the left boundary. Pressure and density are also interpolated at the right boundary using the prescribed velocity.
hoomanya
I have come across the paper attached in which a 1D fluid piston is modeled.

I have question on the boundary conditions (BCs) of the system. Essentially, the problem consists of a fluid chamber in contact with a spring (a mass -spring system). ALE is used to move the mesh. I am not certain about the BCs of the fluid. I think the fluid velocity, and the mesh velocity are both set equal to the piston velocity at the right hand side boundary and that pressure and density are interpolated. In the left, I have set velocity of fluid and mesh to zero. Am I correct so far? Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• A monolithic Fluid Structure Interaction Algorithm Applied to the Piston Problem.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 397
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct so far. The paper states that the right boundary (piston) is set to the prescribed velocity and the left boundary (wall) is set to zero velocity. Additionally, at the right boundary, pressure and density are interpolated using the prescribed velocity.

Related to Fluid solid interaction boundary condition problem

1. What is fluid solid interaction?

Fluid solid interaction is the study of the behavior and interaction between fluids (such as liquids or gases) and solid structures. This includes analyzing the effects of fluid flow on solid structures and how solid structures affect the flow of fluids.

2. What is a boundary condition in fluid solid interaction?

A boundary condition is a set of rules or equations that define the behavior of a physical system at its boundaries. In fluid solid interaction, boundary conditions are used to describe how the fluid and solid interact at their interface.

3. Why is fluid solid interaction important?

Fluid solid interaction is important in many engineering and scientific applications, such as designing aircraft and vehicles, predicting weather patterns, and understanding the behavior of natural systems like oceans and rivers. It allows us to better understand and predict the effects of fluid flow on solid structures and vice versa.

4. What are some challenges in solving fluid solid interaction boundary condition problems?

Some challenges in solving fluid solid interaction boundary condition problems include accurately modeling the complex behavior of fluids and solids, dealing with nonlinear equations, and accounting for uncertainties in the system. Additionally, the computational cost and time required for solving these problems can be significant.

5. How are fluid solid interaction boundary condition problems solved?

Fluid solid interaction boundary condition problems are typically solved using numerical methods and computer simulations. These methods involve discretizing the system into smaller elements and solving equations iteratively to approximate the behavior of the fluid and solid. The results can then be validated and refined through experimental testing.