Fluid Statistics Homework: Gauge Pressure and Vertical Distance Calculation

In summary, a u-shaped tube open to air at both ends contains mercury and a quantity of water is poured into the left arm to a height of 15 cm. The gauge pressure at the water-mercury interface is 1.47*10^3 Pa and the vertical distance from the top of the mercury in the right-hand arm to the top of the water in the left-arm is 13.9 cm.
Nhlaka

Homework Statement

A u-shaped tube open to air at both ends contains some mercury. A quantity of water is carefully poured into the left arm of the tube until the vertical height of water is 15 cm.

Homework Equations

(a)What is the gauge pressure at the water-mercury interface?[ans 1.47*10^3Pa]

(b)calculate the vertical distance h from the top of the mercury in the right-hand arm of the tube to the top of the water in the left-arm.[ans 13.9 cm]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) p=p_0 +rho*g*h
p = 0 + 13.6*10^3 *9.8*0.15
p= 1.99*10^4
(b) 13-1.47=13.5

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nhlaka said:
(a) p=p_0 +rho*g*h
p = 0 + 13.6*10^3 *9.8*0.15
p= 1.99*10^4
Check your value for the density of water.

The answers are already given in brackets so my problem is deriving them:confused:

Nhlaka said:
The answers are already given in brackets so my problem is deriving them:confused:
You gave an attempted solution and I stated why it was wrong. Did you look up the density of water?

Thanks a million really appreaciate:smile:

How do i then tickle (b) I am totally clueless on that

Nhlaka said:
How do i then tickle (b) I am totally clueless on that
Draw a picture. Hint: At the same vertical position (height), the pressure must be the same. Imagine a horizontal line that intersects the mercury/water boundary.

Thank you very much Pf mentor i got the solution to the question:smile::smile:

1. What is fluid statistics?

Fluid statistics is the study of the behavior and properties of fluids, such as liquids and gases, using statistical methods. It involves analyzing and interpreting data to better understand the behavior of fluids in various environments and conditions.

2. How is fluid statistics used in real-world applications?

Fluid statistics has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, meteorology, and environmental science. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of fluids in pipelines, weather patterns, and air and water pollution, among others.

3. What are some common statistical methods used in fluid statistics?

Some common statistical methods used in fluid statistics include regression analysis, correlation analysis, and hypothesis testing. These methods help in analyzing relationships between different variables and making predictions about fluid behavior.

4. Can fluid statistics be applied to non-Newtonian fluids?

Yes, fluid statistics can be applied to non-Newtonian fluids, which do not follow the traditional laws of fluid dynamics. However, it may require more complex statistical models and techniques to accurately analyze and interpret data for non-Newtonian fluids.

5. How does fluid statistics contribute to our understanding of fluid dynamics?

Fluid statistics provides a quantitative approach to studying fluid dynamics, allowing for more accurate predictions and a deeper understanding of fluid behavior. It also helps identify patterns and trends that may not be evident through qualitative observations alone.