Fluid - Work done to blow a soap bubble

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the work done to blow a soap bubble to a certain radius. The solution involves finding the work done for two layers of the bubble and using the Laplace pressure of 4γ/R. In addition, the ratio of natural logarithm of p' over H is used in the equation for the work done, which may seem different from the formula used for isothermal processes. However, it is explained that the formula should match and the conversation seeks further clarification on this.
huyhohoang
Member advised to use the homework template!
Hi everybody, I now encounter some problems when try to solve this:
Problem statement: Calculate the work done to blow a soap bubble to radius R. Knowing that the process is isotherm, the atmospheric pressure is H, the surface tension is γ.

Solution:
$$A = A_{1}+A_{2}$$
In which A1 is the work done to blow the bubble with 2 layers :
$$A_{1} = 2(4 \gamma πR^{2}) $$
A2 is the work done to blow the bubble to pressure p' = H + 4γ/R
$$A_{2}=p' V ln \dfrac{p'}{H}$$

The solution above is in my textbook, but I still help some questions
First, why the soap bubble has 2 layers, which leads to the Laplace pressure is 4γ/R?
Secondly, in A2 equation, why the ratio is natural logarithm is p' over H? In the isotherm, we have: $$\dfrac{V_{i}}{V_{f}}=\dfrac{p'}{H}$$
It doesn't match the formula used to calculate work done in the isotherm process.

Can anyone explain these problems in details for me?
Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
huyhohoang said:
First, why the soap bubble has 2 layers, which leads to the Laplace pressure is 4γ/R?
A soap bubble is made of a thin film of water. The film has an outer surface and an inner surface.
http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/15E.html
Secondly, in A2 equation, why the ratio is natural logarithm is p' over H? In the isotherm, we have: $$\dfrac{V_{i}}{V_{f}}=\dfrac{p'}{H}$$
It doesn't match the formula used to calculate work done in the isotherm process.
It should match. Can you state the formula that you have in mind for the work done in an isothermal process?

What is a soap bubble made of?

A soap bubble is made of a thin film of liquid, usually soap and water, that is filled with air or another gas.

How is work done to blow a soap bubble?

Work is done to blow a soap bubble when air is blown into the bubble wand, creating a pressure difference between the inside and outside of the bubble. This pressure difference causes the bubble to expand and take on a spherical shape.

Why do soap bubbles pop?

Soap bubbles pop when the surface tension holding the bubble together is broken. This can happen if the bubble is touched, if the air inside the bubble cools and contracts, or if the soap film dries out and becomes too thin to hold its shape.

What is the relationship between surface tension and soap bubbles?

Surface tension is the force that holds the soap bubble together. Soap molecules reduce the surface tension of water, allowing the bubble to hold its shape and stretch without breaking.

Can you make a square soap bubble?

No, it is not possible to make a square soap bubble. The surface tension of the soap film naturally creates a spherical shape. However, it is possible to create bubbles with different shapes by using different bubble wands or blowing through a straw into a film-covered frame.