Soap bubbles sticking to each other

In summary, when two soap bubbles of radii 3cm and 2cm come in contact and stick to each other, the radius of the common surface will be determined by the excess pressure inside the bubbles, with the equation 4T(|1/r1 - 1/r2|) = 4T/R'. However, this equation may not always give the correct answer as it does not take into account the fact that the radii of the bubbles change when they coalesce. To find the new radius, you would need to consider the total amount of air inside each bubble and how it is preserved when one side of the bubble becomes flat.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two soap bubbles of radii 3cm and 2cm come in contact and sticks to each other. Calculate the radius of curvature of common surface.

The Attempt at a Solution

Excess pressure inside soap bubble = 4T/R

Let the radius of common surface be R'

[itex]\dfrac{4T}{R'} = \dfrac{4T}{r_1} + \dfrac{4T}{r_2} [/itex]

But this equation does not gives the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I understand you notations, ... your equation must wrong, as can be seen from a simple case.
When two bubbles of same radius coalesce, the common surface that separate them is flat.
This is so because the pressure on both side will be the same.
Your equation does not predict that, as far as I understand you notations ...
What are the meaning of r1 and r2?
Are these numbers supposed to be always positive, or do they have an orientation (sign)?

The curvature of the common surface is related to the pressure difference across that surface.

maajdl said:
As far as I understand you notations, ... your equation must wrong, as can be seen from a simple case.
When two bubbles of same radius coalesce, the common surface that separate them is flat.
This is so because the pressure on both side will be the same.
Your equation does not predict that, as far as I understand you notations ...
What are the meaning of r1 and r2?
Are these numbers supposed to be always positive, or do they have an orientation (sign)?

The curvature of the common surface is related to the pressure difference across that surface.

OK. Let me make it more clear.
r1=3 r2=2

Since the radius of curvature of common surface is related to pressure difference

[itex]4T \left( | \frac{1}{r_1} - \frac{!}{r_2} | \right) = \frac{4T}{R'} [/itex]

Am I correct this time?

No that's still wrong because the radii of the bubbles change when they coalesce. The total amount of air inside each bubble is preserved and if one side of it becomes flat due to the contact with another bubble than the radius of the remainder must expand in order to preserve the air content of the bubble.

Last edited:
dauto said:
No that's still wrong because the radii of the bubbles change when they coalesce. The total amount of air inside each bubble is preserved and if one side of it becomes flat due to the contact with another bubble than the radius of the remainder must expand in order to preserve the air content of the bubble.

So how do I find the new radius?

utkarshakash said:
[itex]4T \left( | \frac{1}{r_1} - \frac{!}{r_2} | \right) = \frac{4T}{R'} [/itex]
The original equation is fine - you just have to remember that from the perspective of the common boundary one of r1 and r2 is negative. In fact, the sign of the result tells you which way the common boundary will bulge.

dauto said:
Technically, yes, but I think you're expected to ignore that here.

1. What causes soap bubbles to stick together?

Soap bubbles stick together due to the surface tension of the soapy water. This surface tension is created by the soap molecules that are attracted to each other, causing them to form a thin film around the air trapped inside the bubble. When two bubbles come in contact, their surface tension combines and causes them to stick together.

2. Why do some soap bubbles not stick together?

The ability of soap bubbles to stick together depends on the quality and amount of soap in the water. If the soap concentration is too low, the bubbles may not have enough surface tension to stick together. Additionally, external factors such as wind or uneven surfaces can also prevent bubbles from sticking together.

3. Can different types of soap affect the stickiness of bubbles?

Yes, the type of soap used can affect the stickiness of bubbles. Some soaps have a higher concentration of soap molecules, resulting in stronger surface tension and stickier bubbles. Other factors such as the PH level of the water and the temperature can also impact the stickiness of bubbles.

4. How long do bubbles typically stay stuck together?

The length of time that bubbles stay stuck together varies depending on factors such as the quality of the soap, external conditions, and the size of the bubbles. Generally, smaller bubbles will stay stuck together for a longer period than larger bubbles. Bubbles may also pop or separate due to changes in the environment.

5. Is there a scientific explanation for why bubbles stick together?

Yes, the phenomenon of bubbles sticking together can be explained by the principles of surface tension and the properties of soap molecules. When two bubbles come in contact, their surface tension combines, creating a larger surface area and causing them to stick together. This can be observed in many other substances with surface tension, such as water droplets on a surface.