Fluids Physics Question: Calculating Density and Pressure of a Physics Book"

In summary, a physics book with dimensions of 26.0 cm x 22.4 cm x 3.10 cm has a density of 1014 kg/m^3 and exerts a pressure of 30.9 Pa when lying face up on a desktop. When balanced on its spine, it exerts a pressure of 2592 Pa.
Leo34005

Homework Statement

A physics book has a height of 26.0 cm, a width of 22.4 cm, and a thickness of 3.10 cm.

(a) What is the density of the physics book if it weighs 18 N?
? kg/m3
(b) Find the pressure that the physics book exerts on a desktop when the book lies face up.
? Pa
(c) Find the pressure that the physics book exerts on the surface of a desktop when the book is balanced on its spine.
? Pa

Homework Equations

Divide the weight by gravity to get the mass.
18N/9.81 = 1.83 kg.
P = F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Convert cm to meters:
(26.0cm)/100 = 0.26
22.4/100 = 0.224
3.10/100 = 0.031
Now divide
1.83/(0.26*0.224*0.031) = 1.83/0.00180544 = 1014 kg/m^3
P = F/A
area of the book = (0.224*0.26) = 0.5824 m^2
18/0.5824 = 30.9 Pa

When balanced on its spine, its width and thickness make up the area
(0.224*0.0310) = 0.006944
18/0.006944 = 2592 Pa

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the first two right, but I would say that you should use height in the last problem instead of width.

Like i said, I believe my answer is wrong. If someone would double check it.

That's what I'm saying. Your answer is wrong because you used the wrong number in your calculations. All you need to do is use the right one.

Related to Fluids Physics Question: Calculating Density and Pressure of a Physics Book"

1. What is Fluids Physics?

Fluids physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of fluids, which includes liquids and gases. It focuses on understanding the properties and movements of fluids, as well as their interactions with other materials and forces.

2. What are the main principles of Fluids Physics?

The main principles of fluids physics include the laws of conservation of mass, momentum, and energy. These laws dictate how fluids behave and how they interact with their surroundings.

3. What are the differences between liquids and gases in Fluids Physics?

Liquids and gases are both considered fluids, but they have different properties and behaviors. Liquids are generally more dense and have a fixed volume, while gases are less dense and can expand to fill their container. Liquids also have a free surface, whereas gases do not.

4. How is pressure related to Fluids Physics?

Pressure is a crucial concept in fluids physics. It is a measure of the force exerted by a fluid on its surroundings, and it can affect the movement and behavior of fluids. Pressure is also related to other properties such as density, temperature, and volume.

5. What are some practical applications of Fluids Physics?

Fluids physics has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in designing and understanding the behavior of pumps, turbines, and other fluid systems. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as aerodynamics, meteorology, and oceanography.