Fluids; pipe flow rate problem

In summary, the pressure difference between the start and end of a 180km stainless steel natural gas pipeline is 2Mpa, with a diameter of 0.4m. The gas flow rate through the system can be calculated using the Reynolds number and friction factor, which was determined to be 16 and 0.002 respectively. By incorporating the friction factor into the equation, the final calculation for the gas flow rate is (\pi*D^4/ 128*\mu*L*f)*(P1-P2).
cd19
1. The pressure at the start of a 180km stainless steel natural gas pipeline is 4Mpa and at the end is 2Mpa. If the diameter of the pipe is 0.4m, what will be the gas flow rate through the system? (ignore losses other than friciton)
(for natural gas, [tex]\rho[/tex]= 40kg/m3, [tex]\mu[/tex]= 11x10-6 Pas

[tex]\nu[/tex]=[tex]\mu[/tex]/[tex]\rho[/tex]

Re = [tex]\mu[/tex]*D/[tex]\nu[/tex]

Q= ([tex]\pi[/tex]*D^4/ 128*[tex]\mu[/tex]*L)*(P1-P2)
3. First I found the Kinematic velocity; [tex]\nu[/tex]=11x10-6/40 = 2.75*10-7

I subbed this value into the reynolds number equation;

Re = 1x10-6*0.4/2.75*10-7 = 16

As the Re number is less than 2100 the flow is laminar and I can use the above equation, I also used the moody diagram to establish the friction factor; The pipe is stainless steel so the relative rougness was equal to .045/.4*103 this part I wasn't quite sure of but I found the friction factor value to be (.002)

Now all I have to do is sub into this equation:
Q= ([tex]\pi[/tex]*D^4/ 128*[tex]\mu[/tex]*L)*(P1-P2) correct?

But how do I incorporate the friction factor? Also Is my analysis of the problem correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your analysis is correct. You can incorporate the friction factor into the equation by multiplying it with the pipe length, i.e. L = L * f, so the equation becomes: Q= (\pi*D^4/ 128*\mu*L*f)*(P1-P2).

1. What is pipe flow rate and why is it important?

Pipe flow rate refers to the volume of fluid that flows through a pipe in a given amount of time. It is important because it determines the efficiency and effectiveness of fluid transport in various industries, such as oil and gas, water supply, and chemical processing.

2. How is pipe flow rate calculated?

Pipe flow rate can be calculated using the equation Q = A * V, where Q is the flow rate, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe, and V is the average velocity of the fluid. This equation is based on the principle of continuity, which states that the volume of fluid entering a pipe must equal the volume of fluid exiting the pipe.

3. How does the diameter of a pipe affect the flow rate?

The diameter of a pipe has a significant impact on the flow rate. In general, a larger diameter pipe will have a higher flow rate than a smaller diameter pipe, as it allows for more fluid to pass through. Additionally, a larger diameter pipe has a lower frictional resistance, resulting in a more efficient flow.

4. What factors can affect the flow rate in a pipe?

There are several factors that can affect the flow rate in a pipe, including the diameter of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, the length and roughness of the pipe, and any bends or obstructions in the pipe. Temperature and pressure can also impact the flow rate of certain fluids.

5. How can the flow rate in a pipe be increased?

The flow rate in a pipe can be increased by increasing the pressure of the fluid, using a larger diameter pipe, reducing the length and roughness of the pipe, and minimizing obstructions or bends in the pipe. Additionally, using a more viscous fluid can also increase the flow rate.