Fluids question: U Shaped Tube.

In summary, the depth of the oil column on the right side of the tube must be equal to or greater than the depth of the glycerine column on the left side of the tube.
Eilrymist

Homework Statement

(1.1.10) The diagram below shows a U-shaped tube. The fluids in the tube are glycerine (blue
shading) and mercury (gray shading). The height of the glycerine column on the left side of the
tube is h1 = 5.00 cm. The density of the mercury is 13.53 g/cm3
(a) What is h2?
(b) Oil with a density 0.800 g/cm3
is added to the right side of the tube, so that the right side of
the tube has an oil column sitting on top of the mercury. What must be the depth of this oil
column so that the top of the glycerine column on the left and the top of the oil column on the
right are at the same height? Keep four significant digits in any intermediate steps.

Homework Equations

P = ρgh + Patm
ρ(glycerine) = 1.261 g/cm3
F = (Pressure)(area)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have solved part a. I am having trouble with Part b, where there is a layer of oil on the other side. I have read the textbook, and want to use the relationship between the pressures being the same at a certain depth, like what I did in part A. What I am unsure of is how to deal with the two layers when they are in a tube because there is no "bottom" to the tube. This is my attempt at solving it:

P (a) = P (b) <- a and b are located where the bottom of the mercury layer is.

P (oil) = Patm + ρ(oil)gh2
P(a) = P(oil) + ρ(mercury) g (h1 - h2)

P(b) = Patm + ρ(glycerine) g h1

I set these equal to each other, but I believe this is incorrect and I am missing some concept here.

My answer: 7.7 cm
Professors answer: 4.82 cm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you post the diagram?

voko said:
Can you post the diagram?

thank you for your response. I would post it, but I did solve the question. It was me neglecting the units. for future questions i will make sure to post the diagrams

1. How does a U shaped tube demonstrate the properties of fluids?

The U shaped tube is a common tool used to demonstrate the properties of fluids, such as density and pressure. When a fluid is poured into one side of the tube, it will rise to the same level on the other side due to the principle of communicating vessels. This shows how fluids will always seek to find a balance in pressure and take the shape of their container.

2. Why does the fluid in a U shaped tube rise higher on one side than the other?

The height of the fluid in a U shaped tube is determined by the difference in pressure between the two sides. The side with a higher fluid level has a greater pressure, which can be caused by factors such as gravity, density, and the height of the fluid column. This demonstrates the concept of pressure and how it affects the behavior of fluids.

3. Can you use different types of fluids in a U shaped tube?

Yes, different types of fluids can be used in a U shaped tube experiment as long as they are immiscible (do not mix together). This allows for a clear distinction between the two fluids and makes it easier to observe their behavior. For example, oil and water can be used to demonstrate the difference in density between the two liquids.

4. How can you calculate the pressure of the fluid in a U shaped tube?

The pressure of a fluid in a U shaped tube can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is pressure, ρ is density, g is acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the fluid column. This equation is based on the relationship between pressure and height in a column of fluid, known as Pascal's Law.

5. What other applications does a U shaped tube have in the study of fluids?

A U shaped tube has various practical applications in the study of fluids, such as measuring blood pressure in medical settings and determining the density of liquids in laboratories. It can also be used to demonstrate Bernoulli's principle, which explains the relationship between fluid velocity and pressure. Additionally, U shaped tubes are used in hydraulic systems for transporting fluids and gases in industrial and engineering processes.