Understanding Pressure and Volume in a U-shaped Tube

In summary, an U-shaped tube has two open legs with a diameter of 2 cm^2. Mercury is poured into leg 2, and when the distance between the mercury level and the valve is 16 cm, the valve gets closed. The barometer reading is 76 cm Hg. When the sealed air reaches a length of 19 cm, the valve in leg 2 is closed. The pressure of the air trapped in the leg 1 is equal to the pressure of the air trapped in the leg 2, but the pressure of the mercury in leg 2 is higher.
Waffle24

Homework Statement

The open legs 1 and 2 of an U-shaped tube have a diameter of 2 cm^2. In leg 2, mercury is poured. When the distance is 16cm from the mercury level up to the valve K1 , then the valve gets closed. The barometer reading is 76cm Hg.

a) How big is the pressure of the sealed air?
b) Opening valve K2, then the mercury in leg 2 appears to drop faster than leg 1. Explain this.
c) When the sealed air has reached a length of 19 cm, this valve K2 is closed.
How big is the pressure of the sealed air and how much cm^3 Hg has been drained?

So I had no trouble answering question a, the answer is air pressure = sealed air.

Now comes question b. My teacher told me that the pressure in leg 1 is bigger than the pressure in leg 2, that's why the mercury in leg 2 is dropping faster, but I still fail to see how the pressure is of leg 1 is bigger than leg 2.

c) I'm kinda lost on what equation(s) I have to use to calculate the pressure and how much cm^3 Hg has been drained. It's like a few informations are missing, but then again I might be wrong and there is way out there to calculate it.

Homework Equations

So far I've got only :
- P = F/A (P = Pressure, F = Force, A = Area)

- P1 x v1 = P2 x v2 ( P= Pressure , v = Volume)

The Attempt at a Solution

N/A

Attachments

• 2018-03-06 00.45.41.jpg
    2018-03-06 00.45.41.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 427
Physics news on Phys.org
What happens to the pressure of the air in leg 1 when the mercury level drops? What about leg 2?

Well the pressure of the air in leg 1 is equal to the air pressure if both K1 and K2 are closed, so if you open up K2 the air pressure in leg 1 will be less than the air pressure in leg 2, and so will the liquid drop faster in leg 2, because the air pressure in leg 2 is bigger than the air pressure of leg 1. I guess the closed air pressure in leg 1 depends on the outside air pressure.

Last edited:
OK. Now if the air trapped in leg 1 was originally a column 16 cm long, now it is 19 cm long, what is the pressure of this trapped air?
What is the difference in the air pressures in legs 1 and 2?
What is the difference in height of the mercury columns in legs 1 and 2?
So how much mercury has been drained?

mjc123 said:
OK. Now if the air trapped in leg 1 was originally a column 16 cm long, now it is 19 cm long, what is the pressure of this trapped air?
I'm stuck at here, like is there an equation to calculate the new pressure(trapped air)?

On edit : I think I've figured it out already, since both length and the area of both column are known, we can calculate the Volume and then apply Boyle’s Law.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply.

V = 2 x 16 = 32 cm
V = 2 x 19 = 38 cm

P1 x V1 = P2 x P2

76 x 32 = P2 × 38
2432 = 38P2
P2 = 64 cmHg
Trapped air pressure = 64cmHg

Air pressure Difference between leg 1 and 2 :
76 - 64 = 12 cmHg

19 cmHg - 16 cmHg = 3 cmHg

Am I right? Though why do you need the difference in air pressure and difference in height?

If I am correct you need to calculate the volume of how much mercury has been drained right?
So wouldn't it be :
V = A × h
V = 2 × 19
V = 38 cm^3

I guess I'm missing something. D:

Last edited:
Waffle24 said:
19 cmHg - 16 cmHg = 3 cmHg
Do you think the mercury in leg 2 hasn't moved? Why? What about your answer to part b?
Now the pressure above the mercury in leg 2 is atmospheric. The pressure above the mercury in leg 1 is 64 cm Hg. At what distance below the mercury surface in leg 1 will the pressure be equal to atmospheric? The mercury level in leg 2 will be at this height. Can you see why?

mjc123 said:
Do you think the mercury in leg 2 hasn't moved? Why? What about your answer to part b?
Well it has moved, because the air pressure was higher than the trapped air.

At what distance below the mercury surface in leg 1 will the pressure be equal to atmospheric?
12cmHg

mjc123 said:
So it will be :
19cmHg - 12 cmHg = 7 cmHg

Waffle24 said:
So it will be :
19cmHg - 12 cmHg = 7 cmHg
Why do you say that? Can you draw a diagram of what you think the system looks like at this stage?

Ah, I think I've misunderstood the question "What is the difference in height of the mercury columns in legs 1 and 2?"
So I actually need to tell the difference of each of column right?

In leg 1 : 19cmHg - 16cmHg = 3 cmHg

In leg 2 : Eh, would you like to help me on this one? Since I don't really understand the following part "At what distance below the mercury surface in leg 1 will the pressure be equal to atmospheric? The mercury level in leg 2 will be at this height. Can you see why?"

Last edited:
I thought I was helping you. I don't see what you don't understand. Can you do what I suggested and draw a diagram?

mjc123 said:
I thought I was helping you. I don't see what you don't understand. Can you do what I suggested and draw a diagram?
W7gTwPY.jpg

On edit :
1rlhHGT.jpg

Ah I see it now, so the difference of leg 2 is 15cm Hg. Total = 3cmHg(leg 1) + 15cmHg(leg 2) = 18 cmHg has drained.

Now you can get the Volume :
V = 2 × 18
V = 36 cm^3

:smile:

Attachments

• W7gTwPY.jpg
    W7gTwPY.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 303
  • 1rlhHGT.jpg
    1rlhHGT.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
I agree with your answer. Do you see why they say "a picture is worth a thousand words"?

Likes Waffle24
mjc123 said:
I agree with your answer. Do you see why they say "a picture is worth a thousand words"?
Right, thank you so much for taking the time to help me. :smile:

1. What is a U-shaped tube and how is it used to study gases?

A U-shaped tube is a laboratory equipment used to study gases. It consists of a long glass tube bent into a U shape with one end of the tube closed and the other end connected to a gas source. The closed end is filled with a liquid, usually water or mercury, and the gas is introduced into the open end. The change in the level of the liquid in the two sides of the tube indicates the different pressures of the gas.

2. What is the principle behind the U-shaped tube experiment?

The U-shaped tube follows the principle of Pascal's Law, which states that the pressure exerted by a fluid is transmitted equally in all directions. In the U-shaped tube, the pressure of the gas on one side is transmitted to the liquid, causing it to move and create a difference in the levels of the liquid in the two sides of the tube.

3. How does the U-shaped tube help in measuring the properties of gases?

The U-shaped tube experiment allows for the measurement of gas properties such as pressure, volume, and temperature. By observing the change in the level of the liquid in the tube, the pressure of the gas can be calculated. By manipulating the gas volume and temperature, the relationship between these properties can also be studied.

4. What are some common applications of the U-shaped tube in scientific research?

The U-shaped tube is commonly used in experiments related to gas laws, such as Boyle's Law, Charles' Law, and Gay-Lussac's Law. It is also used to study the behavior of gases under different conditions and in various chemical reactions. Additionally, the U-shaped tube is used in the calibration of laboratory equipment that measures gas properties.

5. Are there any limitations to using a U-shaped tube in gas experiments?

One limitation of using a U-shaped tube is that it can only measure the pressure of gases that are compatible with the liquid used in the tube. For example, if water is used as the liquid, it cannot be used to measure the pressure of gases that are not soluble in water. Additionally, the U-shaped tube may not be suitable for experiments that require precise and accurate measurements, as the movement of the liquid can be affected by external factors such as air currents. In such cases, more advanced equipment may be needed.