Fluorescent lamp: who emits UV?

In summary, discussing the workings of fluorescent lamps, it was determined that the UV light is emitted due to the ionization of both noble gas and mercury. The specific role of argon is to assist in the vaporization of mercury. The dominant UV emission lines for these lamps are at 253 and 365 nm, with the former being used in germicidal bulbs for sterilization purposes.
giuliopascal
Hi everyone,

searching on the web about how the fluorescent lamps work, I cannot understand if the UV is emitted by the noble gas or the mercury.
For what I understand, both of them ionize, and the UV light is emitted after the collision of the electrons with the atoms, but I would like to know something more about this process and the specific role of argon and mercury.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are three emission mechanisms in play: atomic emission from spectral lines, thermal emission of matter at a given temperature, and emission from charged particles when they undergo acceleration.

Atomic emission from spectral lines can be traced to specific atomic species. Thermal emission can be traced if the sources have different temperatures, but the temperature of the gases in the tube are not high enough for UV. Emission from charged particles is harder to trace. A thermal or electrical plasma will simply emit radiation related to its charged particles acclerating and colliding. I don't think one can conclude that one charged particle plays a much larger role than the others.

Likes giuliopascal
giuliopascal said:
Hi everyone,

searching on the web about how the fluorescent lamps work, I cannot understand if the UV is emitted by the noble gas or the mercury.
For what I understand, both of them ionize, and the UV light is emitted after the collision of the electrons with the atoms, but I would like to know something more about this process and the specific role of argon and mercury.

Thank you very much!

Typical fluorescent bulbs are essentially low-pressure mercury arc lamps. There is a lot of heavy-duty physics involved, but basically the Hg is first vaporized and then ionized. When the Hg ion recombines with an electron, light is emitted. The argon is a 'buffer gas' and is only there to assist the initial vaporization of Hg.

http://www.lamptech.co.uk/Documents/M1 Introduction.htm

The dominant UV emission lines for these bulbs are at 253 and 365 nm:

http://physics.nist.gov/PhysRefData/Handbook/Tables/mercurytable3.htm#1849.499

Germicidal bulbs use the 253 nm line to sterilize.

Likes giuliopascal
Thank you very much. Now I understand a little more :oldsmile:

1. How does a fluorescent lamp emit UV light?

A fluorescent lamp emits UV light through a process called fluorescence. The lamp contains a gas mixture, usually mercury vapor, that is energized by an electric current. This causes the mercury atoms to release UV light, which then strikes a phosphor coating on the inside of the lamp. The phosphor absorbs the UV light and re-emits it as visible light.

2. Is the UV light emitted by a fluorescent lamp harmful?

The UV light emitted by a fluorescent lamp is mostly in the form of UVA, which is generally considered safe for human exposure. However, long-term exposure to high levels of UV light can cause eye and skin damage. It is important to follow safety precautions and limit exposure to UV light from fluorescent lamps.

3. Do all fluorescent lamps emit UV light?

Yes, all fluorescent lamps emit some level of UV light. However, some types of lamps have a special coating on the glass that filters out most of the UV light. These are often referred to as "full-spectrum" or "UV-free" lamps.

4. Can fluorescent lamps emit UV light without electricity?

No, a fluorescent lamp requires electricity to emit UV light. The gas mixture inside the lamp needs to be energized by an electric current in order to produce UV light. When the lamp is turned off, it no longer emits UV light.

5. Can the UV light emitted by a fluorescent lamp be used for other purposes?

Yes, the UV light emitted by a fluorescent lamp can be used for various applications, such as sterilization, insect attraction, and even counterfeit detection. However, it is important to note that not all fluorescent lamps emit the same level of UV light, so it is important to choose the right type of lamp for the intended purpose.