Flux Density, B, of a Cylindrical Magent

In summary, flux density, B, is a measure of the strength of a magnetic field within a cylindrical magnet. It is defined as the amount of magnetic flux per unit area perpendicular to the direction of the field. B is directly proportional to the number of magnetic field lines passing through a given area, making it a useful quantity for determining the strength and direction of a magnetic field. It is also affected by the size and shape of the magnet, as well as the type of material it is made of. Overall, flux density plays a crucial role in understanding and manipulating magnetic fields in various applications.
Bri1
Hi, I'm trying to calculate the flux density of a magnet, I can get all but one of the values needed to calculate it. Does anyone know how/where to get the z(distance from a pole face on the symmetrical axis) value?
Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 12.33.07 PM.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bri1 said:
Hi, I'm trying to calculate the flux density of a magnet, I can get all but one of the values needed to calculate it. Does anyone know how/where to get the z(distance from a pole face on the symmetrical axis) value?View attachment 113520
Welcome to the PF.

z is just a variable. It looks like you have an equation there which would work along the z axis for varying distances, no?

BTW, is this for schoolwork or a hobby project?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

z is just a variable. It looks like you have an equation there which would work along the z axis for varying distances, no?

BTW, is this for schoolwork or a hobby project?

Thanks for responding, It's for school but it feels more like a hobby, I was thinking of just assuming a value for z. I'm studying mechanical engineering so electrical isn't my strong point. But I believe it might be a set value, maybe a distance from the pole face to the height of the flux field? but then I don't know the height of the flux field anyway

My reason for thinking its a set value is because the flux density of the magnet shouldn't change with respect to z not so?

Bri1 said:
Thanks for responding, It's for school but it feels more like a hobby, I was thinking of just assuming a value for z. I'm studying mechanical engineering so electrical isn't my strong point. But I believe it might be a set value, maybe a distance from the pole face to the height of the flux field? but then I don't know the height of the flux field anyway

My reason for thinking its a set value is because the flux density of the magnet shouldn't change with respect to z not so?
No, it definitely changes with distance z. It looks like this:

http://www.4physics.com/phy_demo/NewtonsNightmare/ShortBarMagnetBField.gif
ShortBarMagnetBField.gif

So yes, just use the equation to calculate the flux density at some distance z away from the pole face.

Oh okay thanks!

but what if the distance I wanted to calculate B for is horizontally across from the magnet instead of vertically away from it? A different formula?

1. What is flux density, B, of a cylindrical magnet?

Flux density, B, of a cylindrical magnet is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field produced by the magnet. It is defined as the amount of magnetic field per unit area.

2. How is the flux density, B, of a cylindrical magnet calculated?

The flux density, B, of a cylindrical magnet can be calculated by dividing the magnetic flux, which is the total number of magnetic field lines passing through a given area, by the area itself.

3. What factors affect the flux density, B, of a cylindrical magnet?

The flux density, B, of a cylindrical magnet is affected by the strength of the magnet, the size and shape of the magnet, and the distance from the magnet's surface.

4. How is the flux density, B, of a cylindrical magnet measured?

The flux density, B, of a cylindrical magnet can be measured using a device called a gaussmeter, which detects and measures the strength of a magnetic field.

5. How does the flux density, B, of a cylindrical magnet relate to its magnetic field strength?

The flux density, B, of a cylindrical magnet is directly proportional to its magnetic field strength. This means that as the magnetic field strength increases, so does the flux density.