In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the fully quantum mechanical rate ($\kappa$) in the golden-rule approximation for two linear potential energy surfaces. The process involves using the flux-flux correlation function, which can be calculated using Feynman's path integral formalism. The conversation also mentions the use of two electronic states and the projection operator for the non-adiabatic case. The final answer for the rate involves integrating with respect to $x_a$, $x_b$, and $t$, but there is difficulty in convergence with the imaginary argument for $t$.
junt
This is a chemically inspired problem, but the path is fully quantum mechanics and a bunch of integrals.

How does one calculate fully quantum mechanical rate ($\kappa$) in the golden-rule approximation for two linear potential energy surfaces?

Attempt:

Miller (83) proposes $$\kappa=\int{Tr[\exp{(-\beta\hat{H})}\hat{F}\exp{(-i\hat{H}t/\hbar)}\hat{F}\exp{(i\hat{H}t/\hbar)}]}dt$$

Where integrand is simply the flux-flux correlation function: $C_{ff}(t)$. Which can be calculated under Feynman's path integral formalism. My attempt (which is in vain) at calculating $C_{ff}(t)$ is as follows:

$$C_{ff}(t)=Tr[\exp{(-\beta\hat{H})}\hat{F}\exp{(-i\hat{H}t/\hbar)}\hat{F}\exp{(i\hat{H}t/\hbar)}]$$

$$Tr[\exp{(-\beta\frac{\hat{H}}{2})}\hat{F}\exp{(-\beta\frac{\hat{H}}{2})}\exp{(-i\hat{H}t/\hbar)}\hat{F}\exp{(i\hat{H}t/\hbar)}]$$

By cyclicly permuting the operators we reach at:

$$Tr[\exp{(i\hat{H}t/\hbar)}\exp{(-\beta\frac{\hat{H}}{2})}\hat{F}\exp{(-\beta\frac{\hat{H}}{2})}\exp{(-i\hat{H}t/\hbar)}\hat{F}]$$

The Boltzmann operator and quantum mechanical propagator can be combined as follows:

$$Tr[\exp{\hat{H}(\frac{it}{\hbar}-\frac{\beta}{2})}\hat{F}\exp{\hat{H}(\frac{-it}{\hbar}-\frac{\beta}{2})}\hat{F}]$$

In the golden-rule (non-adiabatic) case, we have two electronic states 0 and 1. So F is simply a projection operator. Hence one can obtain:

$$Tr[\exp{\hat{H_0}(\frac{it}{\hbar}-\frac{\beta}{2})}\exp{\hat{H_1}(\frac{-it}{\hbar}-\frac{\beta}{2})}]$$

This basically is kernel corresponding to two potential energy surfaces $V_0$ and $V_1$. For trajectory starting at $x_a$ and ending at $x_b$, we have

$$C_{ff}(t)=\int{\int{K_0(x_a,x_b,\frac{it}{\hbar}-\frac{\beta}{2})K_1(x_b,x_a,\frac{-it}{\hbar}-\frac{\beta}{2})}}dx_adx_b$$

For a linear potential energy surfaces (PES), where my PES looks as follows:

$$V_0=k_0 x$$

$$V_1=k_1 x$$

My kernels are:

$$K_0=\sqrt{\frac{m}{2\pi t_0}}\exp{(-S_0)}$$

$$K_1=\sqrt{\frac{m}{2\pi t_1}}\exp{(-S_1)}$$

$S's$ correspond to action which is:

$$S_n(x_a,x_b,t_n)=\frac{m(x_a-x_b)^2}{2 t_n}-\frac{(x_a+x_b)k_nt_n}{2}-\frac{k_n^2t_n^3}{24m}$$

The problem is the integral for flux flux correlation function doesn't seem to be converging with the imaginary argument for $t$'s. I am trying to integrate w.r.t $x_a$, $x_b$ and $t$ from -Inf to +Inf. My final answer for rate should look something like this:

$$\exp{\frac{k_0^2k_1^2\hbar^2\beta^3}{24m(k_0-k_1)^2}}$$

Is it a gaussian integral with respect to $x_a$ and $x_b$? One has to be careful because there is also an imaginary parts in the exponent. How does one reach the final answer for rate with those integrals? Really confused! Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
So ##\hat{F}=\frac{1}{2} \{p,\delta(x)\}##?

DrDu said:
So ##\hat{F}=\frac{1}{2} \{p,\delta(x)\}##?

Nope! F is just flux operator from reactant to product ##(|0><1|-|1><0|)##. This is for my case (or non-adiabatic case). However, in adiabatic case it is ##(p \delta(x-s)+\delta(x-s) p)##. But I am mainly interested in non-adiabatic case, where there are two electronic states. Basically, in adiabatic case, there is one potential energy surface, and for non-adiabatic case there are two potential energy surfaces.

1. What is a flux-flux correlation function?

The flux-flux correlation function is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to describe the relationship between two different types of particles. It measures the correlation between the flux of one type of particle and the flux of another type of particle over a given period of time.

2. How is the flux-flux correlation function calculated?

The flux-flux correlation function is typically calculated using Feynman's path integral formulation. This involves summing over all possible paths that particles can take between two points in space and time, and then using mathematical techniques to determine the correlation between the fluxes of these particles.

3. What is the significance of the flux-flux correlation function in quantum field theory?

The flux-flux correlation function is an important tool in quantum field theory as it allows us to understand the interactions between different types of particles. It can provide insight into the behavior of particles in various physical systems and can be used to make predictions about their behavior.

4. How does Feynman's path integral approach differ from other methods of calculating the flux-flux correlation function?

Feynman's path integral approach differs from other methods of calculating the flux-flux correlation function, such as perturbation theory, in that it allows for the inclusion of all possible paths that particles can take. This makes it a more comprehensive and accurate approach, particularly for studying complex systems.

5. What are some applications of the flux-flux correlation function?

The flux-flux correlation function has many applications in various fields of physics, including condensed matter physics, quantum optics, and particle physics. It can be used to study the dynamics of materials, the behavior of particles in quantum systems, and the properties of different types of particles, among others.