Flux of a vector and parametric equation

In summary: The volume element in spherical coordinates must include the radius, so the correct volume element is ##\sin \theta \,d\theta \,d\phi \,dr##. Since the radius is constant, its contribution is 1 and can be omitted, but the volume element is not just ##dV## as you have it.In summary, the conversation discusses computing the flux of a vector field through a unit sphere using Gauss Law. The attempt at a solution involves converting the integral into a spherical one, but it is unnecessary as the integrand is asymmetric over a symmetric region, resulting in a zero answer. The participant also mentions that the radial part of the integral should not be neglected, but it does not affect the final answer.
Xsnac

Homework Statement

Compute the flux of a vector field ##\vec{v}## through the unit sphere, where

$$ \vec{v} = 3xy i + x z^2 j + y^3 k $$

Homework Equations

Gauss Law:
$$ \int (\nabla \cdot \vec{B}) dV = \int \vec{B} \cdot d\vec{a}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so after applying Gauss Law, one gets
$$ \int 3y dV $$
and after converting it into a spherical integral I get
$$3 \int_0^{ \pi} \sin^2 \theta d \theta \int_0^{2 \pi} \sin \phi d \phi = 0$$ since integral of sin over a full period is. Is this correct? or if not, where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks fine, but you do not need to actually do the spherical parametrisation. You could just use that the integrand is asymmetric over a symmetric region so the result must be zero.

Edit: Also, you are missing the radial part of the integral, but it will not matter.

Likes Xsnac and alejandromeira
Xsnac I've been making the transformation right now and seems me that your work is ok.

Likes Xsnac
Orodruin said:
It looks fine, but you do not need to actually do the spherical parametrisation. You could just use that the integrand is asymmetric over a symmetric region so the result must be zero.

Edit: Also, you are missing the radial part of the integral, but it will not matter.
Thanks. Regarding the radial part, it specified it's unit sphere therefore constant, and = 1 so I neglected it.

Orodruin said:

Yes, visualizing the field in the space there are a symetry in the plane XZ, then like the volume has also spherical symetry around the point (0,0,0) we don't need to calculate anything. So is more fun! :woot::woot:

Last edited:
Xsnac said:
Thanks. Regarding the radial part, it specified it's unit sphere therefore constant, and = 1 so I neglected it.
This is conceptually wrong, even if the result is the same. Your original surface of integration was the unit sphere. In using the divergence theorem, you rewrite the closed surface integral as a volume integral over the enclosed volume, in this case the unit ball.

1. What is the definition of flux of a vector?

The flux of a vector is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a surface. It represents the amount of a vector that passes through a given surface per unit time.

2. How is the flux of a vector calculated?

The flux of a vector is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector to the surface, and then integrating this product over the surface.

3. What is the significance of flux of a vector?

The flux of a vector is an important concept in physics and engineering, as it helps to understand the flow of fluids, magnetic fields, and other physical phenomena. It is also used in many mathematical applications, such as in solving differential equations.

4. What is the difference between flux of a vector and flux of a scalar?

The flux of a vector is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a surface, while the flux of a scalar is a measure of the flow of a scalar field through a surface. The flux of a vector has both magnitude and direction, while the flux of a scalar only has magnitude.

5. How are parametric equations related to the flux of a vector?

Parametric equations are often used to describe the motion of a particle or object in a vector field. The flux of the vector can be calculated using these parametric equations by finding the dot product of the velocity vector with the unit normal vector to the surface at each point in the parametric curve.