Focussing a Pentax K S2 with Live View for Moon Photography

In summary, Dave was struggling to get a good focus on the image of the Moon, but he found an workaround involving focussing on a bright star and then moving to the Moon. He found that the image is as sharp as his 80ED lens can produce, but he still needs to be able to focus "live".
sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have been struggling with focussing my Pentax K S2 using Live view. The image of the Moon (or the Sun, with filter) is too burned out to focus. The photos are OK so the camera takes care of that. Anyway, I have a tedious workaround which involves focussing on a bright star (with bhatinov mask), locking the focus and moving to the Moon. I think the image below is about as sharp as my 80ED will produce but I still need to be able to focus 'live' and I am fighting that one.
Nevertheless, that picture that I got last night is fascinating because there are no shadows. The normally impressive craters are only visible from the pale stuff on the walls which (I have been told) came from below the surface on impact. Also, the 'rays' are much more visible. It looks like some other object.
That picture reminded me of the original pictures of the far side, all of which must have been taken around New Moon, when the far side was all illuminated. I used to think there was something different about the geology (Selenology?) of the other side but it must have been about no shadows on full sun.
They must have taken great care to only take pictures with the Sun well out of the way in order to protect the camera film etc. (I believe it was a film / develop / scan /transmit system)
Full moon 94_edited-1.jpg

PS Any crits about that image. All comments gratefully received.

Likes davenn, fresh_42 and phinds
Astronomy news on Phys.org
sophiecentaur said:
PS Any crits about that image. All comments gratefully received.

flaming disgusting hahaha :-p:-p:-p:biggrin:

seriously, awesome image mate ... nice details considering a full moon :smile:
always difficult to get good details at that time

Dave

sophiecentaur said:
I have been struggling with focussing my Pentax K S2 using Live view. The image of the Moon (or the Sun, with filter) is too burned out to focus.

Nice photo! One (hopefully) helpful suggestion: on my camera, there's a way to toggle Live View between a display that "auto-brightnesses itself" and "how the actual photo looks". Check to see if the Pentax has that as well.

That's a great photo. But there is something different about the lunar far side, namely that there are no maria on the far side, as the attached NASA image shows
lunar_farside.jpg

Likes sophiecentaur
phyzguy said:
That's a great photo. But there is something different about the lunar far side, namely that there are no maria on the far side, as the attached NASA image showsView attachment 212435
That's yet another of those 'ridiculous' facts in Astronomy. That is crazy and there has to be an explanation. Any ideas?
Nice picture, btw. Take it yourself didja? :wink: Actually, it looks like a composite as there is a left/right split as the shadows are different on each side. Sneaky NASA, again.

Andy Resnick said:
Nice photo! One (hopefully) helpful suggestion: on my camera, there's a way to toggle Live View between a display that "auto-brightnesses itself" and "how the actual photo looks". Check to see if the Pentax has that as well.
I will try to find out. Thing is, having a lens with no aperture control / measure is unusual for a modern camera. I did consider using a filter but it would have to be over the front of the objective or it would upset the focussing once I remove it.
It's hard to spot stars on LV, even. I think the processor is too damned smart as it seems to treat random stars as noise until it decides they are actual stars, at which point it displays them. LV is fine with a normal scene and you can zoom in on the LV display and get great focus on one small selected portion. I must try Pentax Users Forum. There's a lot of know how there.

The suggestions were that I had my screen brightness turned up too high. Well, I had done just that. I will need an opportunity to see if it's ok now I have turned it down. I can't remember turning it up but it could have been on a bright sunny day. That's sort of thing is common with bells and whistles cameras. You have to remember to cancel Manual Focussing and Exposure settings whenever you put the camera back in its home or you will not be ready for the moment when the kids or animals do something interesting. :smile:

sophiecentaur said:
I have a tedious workaround which involves focussing on a bright star (with bhatinov mask), locking the focus and moving to the Moon
I don't know if it would help, but can you get a good focus on the edge of the moon where you get a good black/white sharp line?

The edge (was) burned out too !
I found the error. The LCD display had been cranked up. Silly me. All ok now.

Likes Andy Resnick
Here's one I took that same night:
DSC_2249%20copy_zpscdjdnk3l.jpg

sophiecentaur said:
Nevertheless, that picture that I got last night is fascinating because there are no shadows. The normally impressive craters are only visible from the pale stuff on the walls which (I have been told) came from below the surface on impact.

Agreed: here are close-up views of regions around Plato and Ptolemaeus showing the difference:

DSC_2249%20copy-2_zps2q1fgtkh.jpg

DSC_0337-2_zpsklathymq.jpg

DSC_2249%20copy-3_zpssg5l6rpp.jpg

DSC_0337-3_zpsjpq1bgc6.jpg

Likes sophiecentaur and russ_watters
Andy Resnick said:
Here's one I took that same night:
View attachment 212714
Agreed: here are close-up views of regions around Plato and Ptolemaeus showing the difference:
Haha. Not only can you take good pictures but your filing system also works.

1. How do I focus my Pentax K S2 for moon photography using live view?

To focus your Pentax K S2 for moon photography using live view, you will first need to switch your camera to manual focus mode. Then, use the magnification feature in live view to zoom in on the moon. You can then adjust the focus ring on your lens until the moon appears sharp and in focus.

2. Can I use autofocus for moon photography with the Pentax K S2?

While it is possible to use autofocus for moon photography with the Pentax K S2, it is not recommended. Autofocus can often struggle to accurately focus on distant objects like the moon, so it is best to use manual focus for this type of photography.

3. What is the best aperture setting for moon photography with the Pentax K S2?

The best aperture setting for moon photography will vary depending on your specific lens and the lighting conditions. Generally, a smaller aperture (higher f-stop number) will result in a sharper image of the moon. Experiment with different aperture settings to find the best one for your setup.

4. Do I need any special equipment for moon photography with the Pentax K S2?

While you don't necessarily need any special equipment for moon photography with the Pentax K S2, there are a few things that can make the process easier. A tripod is highly recommended to keep your camera steady and prevent camera shake. Additionally, a remote shutter release or timer can help minimize camera movement when taking the photo.

5. Is it better to use live view or the viewfinder for moon photography with the Pentax K S2?

This is a matter of personal preference and will depend on your shooting style. Using live view allows you to see the effects of your camera settings in real time, while using the viewfinder can provide a more stable and traditional shooting experience. Experiment with both to find which method works best for you.