Stepper Motor or Linear Actuator

In summary: No, it is not an engineering project. What other requirements would be best to include in this post?What other requirements would be best to include in this post?
mattm874
Hi,I am trying to design a simple autonomous braking system for a 4 wheel drive ATV. The system needs to be as cheap as possible. I have come up with two possible solutions. The use of a linear Actuator to activate the brake or a stepper motor attached in someway to the master cylinder. It needs to operate quickly and with enough force to completely depress the pedal.

I am having problems with both options due to budget, torque and speed requirements. The force needed to depress the brake pedal fully is 420 Newton’s acting 0.12m away from the pivot point. There are plenty of Linear Actuators that have enough force but I am struggling to find ones that operate fast enough (I understand that there is a trade off, the greater the force the slower the speed). I started to wonder if you could use a stepper motor, but when sourcing one, I again encounter this speed force trade off in the opposite way, steppers are fast enough but I cannot find one with enough torque.

Can anyone suggest another method I have not thought of or a possible solution using one of the two ideas I have proposed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just at a glance, my first thought would be to use a pneumatic ram triggered by a solenoid valve. Depending upon your proposed driving course, however, you might not be able to carry a large enough air tank. That is assuming that: A) you don't need proportional braking, because this would just slam them on, and B) on the plus side, if you are willing to put out a bit extra, you could use a smaller tank with an onboard 12VDC compressor.
More detail as to your requirements, please... and don't hold your breath waiting for me because I have to go to sleep now.

Thanks for your reply.

The brake needs to work proportionally, just as in human operation. Therefore slamming on the brake, although would bring it to a stop, would not be favourable as it would mean the buggy would not be ale to slow down gradually or slow to a small velocity and then release the break to carry on moving. What other requirements would be best to include in this post?

mattm874 said:
What other requirements would be best to include in this post?
The only one that comes to mind, which I hinted at but didn't actually ask, is how frequently, and how many total times, does it have to operate? My reason for asking that is that resources such as space and electrical power need to be considered. if you were to use a hydraulic ram rather than a pneumatic one, there are proportional solenoid valves available for them, and 12VDC "power packs" which include the motor, pump, and reservoir in one compact unit, are not all that expensive. They are, however, quite heavy. If you are looking for a high-speed machine, that might be counterproductive.

If steppers don't have enough power (speed*torque) have you considered a servo? They tend to be more powerful.

mattm874 said:
Hi,I am trying to design a simple autonomous braking system for a 4 wheel drive ATV. The system needs to be as cheap as possible. I have come up with two possible solutions. The use of a linear Actuator to activate the brake or a stepper motor attached in someway to the master cylinder. It needs to operate quickly and with enough force to completely depress the pedal.

I am having problems with both options due to budget, torque and speed requirements. The force needed to depress the brake pedal fully is 420 Newton’s acting 0.12m away from the pivot point. There are plenty of Linear Actuators that have enough force but I am struggling to find ones that operate fast enough (I understand that there is a trade off, the greater the force the slower the speed). I started to wonder if you could use a stepper motor, but when sourcing one, I again encounter this speed force trade off in the opposite way, steppers are fast enough but I cannot find one with enough torque.

Can anyone suggest another method I have not thought of or a possible solution using one of the two ideas I have proposed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

M

mattm874 said:
Thanks for your reply.

The brake needs to work proportionally, just as in human operation. Therefore slamming on the brake, although would bring it to a stop, would not be favourable as it would mean the buggy would not be ale to slow down gradually or slow to a small velocity and then release the break to carry on moving. What other requirements would be best to include in this post?

Welcome to the PF.

Can you say more about your project? Is it a school project in an ME course or something? Where exactly are you going to be running these autonomous ATVs? What safety interlocks are involved in the designs of the ATVs?

berkeman said:
What safety interlocks are involved in the designs of the ATVs?
Oh, jeez, Mike... of course. Safety is paramount. For some reason, I had just thought of this thing running around on a motocross track or something all by its lonesome. The possible interaction with other vehicles or people didn't occur to me. That brings a whole different set of parameters into play.
To start with, Matt, is this thing autonomous or under external radio control? (I know that you said autonomous braking in your original post, but didn't specify whether or not that applies to the whole vehicle. I mean, real road vehicles such as some Mercedes models have autonomous braking, but are still driven by a human.)

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a stepper motor and a linear actuator?

A stepper motor is a type of motor that converts electrical pulses into precise mechanical movements. It has a rotor with multiple teeth that align with an electromagnetic stator, causing the rotor to move in a step-like fashion. A linear actuator, on the other hand, is a device that converts rotational motion into linear motion. It typically consists of a lead screw or ball screw that translates the rotary motion of a motor into linear motion.

2. Which one is better for precise positioning: a stepper motor or a linear actuator?

Both stepper motors and linear actuators can provide precise positioning, but it depends on the specific application. Stepper motors are better suited for applications that require very precise and repeatable movements, while linear actuators are better for applications that require longer strokes and higher load capacities.

3. Can a stepper motor be used as a linear actuator?

Technically, yes. By connecting a lead screw or ball screw to the shaft of a stepper motor, it can act as a linear actuator. However, this setup may not be as efficient or precise as using a dedicated linear actuator, as stepper motors are designed for rotational motion and may experience backlash when used as a linear actuator.

4. What are the main applications of stepper motors and linear actuators?

Stepper motors are commonly used in 3D printing, CNC machines, robotics, and other applications that require precise and repeatable movements. Linear actuators are often used in industrial automation, medical equipment, and automotive systems for tasks such as lifting, pushing, and pulling.

5. How do I choose between a stepper motor and a linear actuator for my project?

When deciding between a stepper motor and a linear actuator, consider the specific requirements of your project, such as the required precision, speed, and load capacity. If your application requires precise and repeatable movements, a stepper motor may be the better choice. If your application requires longer strokes and higher load capacities, a linear actuator may be more suitable.