Food temperature question -- eating cold meals

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of eating cold meals daily on long-term health. It is mentioned that cooking can make some foods more nutritious, but it can also remove nutrients or destroy them. Eating very hot food can be damaging, but eating cold food does not have any serious consequences unless it is spoiled. It is advised to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold, and to check for spoilage after two days in the refrigerator. The conversation also briefly touches on the idea of a cold food diet.
Harini Krishna
Hi,
Can i know how having cold meals daily effects out health in long term?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Harini Krishna said:
It does not, unless they are raw meat.

Some foods are more easily digestible cooked than raw, so cooking can make them more nutritious. On the other hand, cooking food can remove nutrients (e.g., to the cooking water) or destroy some nutrient molecules.

A good article (with references to the published literature):
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/raw-food-vs-cooked-food

Harini Krishna said:
Hi,

Thank you
How is that credible?

and one should not confuse "cold" with "raw".
Also one should not confuse "cold" with "spoiled".

Likes russ_watters
Harini Krishna said:
Hi,

Thank you
Eating very hot food is not good for your oesophagus or stomach. Other than that the only thing I can think of is the speed of reactions and mixing of cold versus warm/hot food in your stomach. Enzyme action and the action of acid food mixing with gastric Juice to produce chyme.
Cold slow, just right and hot enough to damage epithelial cells.

pinball1970 said:
Eating very hot food is not good for your oesophagus or stomach. Other than that the only thing I can think of is the speed of reactions and mixing of cold versus warm/hot food in your stomach. Enzyme action and the action of acid food mixing with gastric Juice to produce chyme.
Cold slow, just right and hot enough to damage epithelial cells.

Reading this has put me off my cold curry leftovers for lunch!

Chyme is a word...
Learn something new every day...

Likes BillTre
PeroK said:
Not something to worry. Keep hot foods hot! Keep cold foods cold! Once something is cooked (through heating), keep it covered; when rested put into refrigerator (or freezer) promptly. Spoilage can become a real problem quickly. Two days refrigerated, and then check appearance and oder. If anything seems not right, discard! A possible cautious time limit on covered, refrigerated foods is 2 days. May last longer, but it's a risk. Still, check for oder and appearance...

PeroK said:
I was talking heat hot not spicy.
chilli is one of those things that makes one thinks there is a god out there somewhere.

Below some temperature you'd have a problem. But for room temperature or refrigerator temperature I can't imagine how it would hurt you. It might discourage you from eating though which could have consequences. Maybe it could be the new fad diet -- cold food only? Maybe not, I personally could eat a lot cold pizza washed down with cold beer. A lot!

Likes pinball1970 and Tom.G

1. Why is it important to eat meals at the correct temperature?

It is important to eat meals at the correct temperature because foodborne bacteria can grow rapidly at temperatures between 40°F and 140°F, increasing the risk of foodborne illness. Eating food at the correct temperature ensures that it is safe to consume and reduces the risk of food poisoning.

2. Can eating cold meals be harmful?

Eating cold meals can be harmful if the food is not properly stored or reheated. Cold temperatures can slow the growth of bacteria, but it does not kill them. If the food has been left out at room temperature for too long, it can become unsafe to eat due to bacterial growth.

3. How do you know if a meal is too cold to eat?

A meal may be too cold to eat if it has been sitting in the refrigerator for a long time and feels icy to the touch. It is important to follow food safety guidelines and properly reheat cold meals to ensure they are safe to eat.

4. Is it safe to reheat cold meals?

Yes, it is safe to reheat cold meals if done properly. It is important to reheat food to an internal temperature of at least 165°F to kill any harmful bacteria. It is also recommended to only reheat food once, as repeated reheating can increase the risk of foodborne illness.

5. Can I eat leftovers cold?

It is generally safe to eat leftovers cold, but it is important to make sure that the food has been properly stored and is not past its expiration date. It is recommended to reheat leftovers to reduce the risk of foodborne illness, but if you do choose to eat them cold, make sure they have been stored correctly and do not have any signs of spoilage.