For an informal presentation, would you use LaTeX to type this out?

In summary: Another way to align is with \phantom{...} . The ... is typeset (for h and v spacing) but not rendered.adjust sizes. The [ ] above should be bigger than the big (. Use \left [...\right ] or do it manually with \big \ Big \bbig \Bbig etc.
Eclair_de_XII
TL;DR Summary
Suppose I were doing an informal presentation on differential forms. I am strapped on presentation time, and need to pass out a long calculation. Can I use LaTeX to type it out, or is it more advisable to do it by hand, scan it, print copies, and distribute them to the class?
Is it possible to typehttps://drive.google.com/open?id=186OoXjmVjb3nhXjSBKEAq2u_6MF-UXlm into LaTeX, or should I just print out the thing as it is? If the former, I do not know how I would go about it; the matrices seem much too wide for me to fit onto a letter-size page. For the record, the typeset pdf looks something like:

Untitled.png

And that's just the first term of the first determinant expansion.

Also, this does not relate to my topic at all, but I'm using LaTeX for the first time, and now I am wondering what I was thinking when I chose to use Microsoft Word to type out all my lab reports and the like during my academic career. It seems faster and easier to type out equations than if I am using the office application. It also just looks much cleaner and nicer than my Word-processed reports. Now I feel a bit foolish and regretful.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a lot of repetition in your original. CHeck out the ##\LaTeX## tutorial, especially 'multiple lines' and 'matrices'.
Including learning how to do it, a few hours should suffice to typeset it.

BvU said:
There is a lot of repetition in your original.

Could you elaborate, please?

Instead of \cos\phi_1 etc you could define some abbreviations
Rich (BB code):
$$
\def\cp{\cos\phi}    \def\sp{\sin\phi}
\def\cpo {\cp_1}  \def\cptw {\cp_2}  \def\cpt {\cp_3}
\def\spo {\sp_1}  \def\sptw {\sp_2}  \def\spt {\sp_3}

\cp_1 \ \cp_2 \\
\sp_1 \ \sp_2 \\
\cpt \\ r\cpo\cptw\cpt \quad r\spo\sptw\spt
$$
gives

$$
\def\cp{\cos\phi} \def\sp{\sin\phi}
\def\cpo {\cp_1} \def\cptw {\cp_2} \def\cpt {\cp_3}
\def\spo {\sp_1} \def\sptw {\sp_2} \def\spt {\sp_3}

\\ \cp_1 \ \cp_2 \\ \sp_1 \ \sp_2 \\ \mathstrut\ \\ r\cpo\cptw\cpt \quad r\spo\sptw\spt $$ etc and onwards:

$$\def\rssc{r\spo\sptw\cpt} \def\rscc{r\spo\cptw\cpt} \rssc\quad \rscc$$
$$\def\rssc{r\spo\sptw\cpt} \def\rscc{r\spo\cptw\cpt} \rssc\quad \rscc$$

or even fancier, with arguments:
$$\def\ssc{\spo\sptw\cpt} \def\scc{\spo\cptw\cpt}
\def \r#1{r#1}

\r{\scc}$$

$$\def\ssc{\spo\sptw\cpt} \def\scc{\spo\cptw\cpt}
\def \r#1{r#1}

\r{\scc}$$

And with a little planning you can probably mix \sp, \cp and the subscripts as arguments.

Last edited:
Now I am worried that people will not have the sanity to check the work at the bottom of https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PUufFSfCdoDw42GeFIO2pUtAGNLvWUDk.

I should definitely do something for the terms I simplified using the identity ##(\sin^2 + \cos^2)(x)=1##, and I feel like I should color-code some of these terms, or something.

With the abbreviations or macros ,
you could also make another notational change.
Instead of (say) ##\sin\phi_2## and ##\cos\phi_3##,
you could write ##S_2## ##\quad## and ##C_3##,
which is probably easier on the eyes.

(It can be coded so that you can switch back if you wished.
You could have similar lines, with the one you don't want now commented-out.)

##\color{red}{Colors}## (as you say) or [in case it's printed in b/w] ##\mathbf{bold}## or ##\underline{underline}## or ##\textsf{font change}## or ##{\Large size\ } change## would help.
(Right-click each to see the ##\LaTeX##.)

Last edited:
Likes Eclair_de_XII and BvU
Don't know if my comments post was deleted, or that I simply messed up and didn't post. Your specimen sure looks different from the last time I saw it.

I had:

• kudos for the ##\TeX##ing ! Was it indeed a few hours, or much more ?
  • pity you don't post the ##\LaTeX## source, this makes referring to a specific place difficult for us. But I understand it if you worry about copying.
  • loose the brackets: ##\ \cos\phi_1 \ ## instead of ##\ \cos(\phi_1) \ ## is easier on the eyes
  • align, manually or with \begin {align*} etc. e.g. for this make the big ( line up vertically.
1582622247756.png

• another way to align is with \phantom{...} . The ... is typeset (for h and v spacing) but not rendered.
  • adjust sizes. The [ ] above should be bigger than the big (. Use \left [... \right ] or do it manually with \big \ Big \bbig \Bbig etc.

Eclair_de_XII said:
Now I am worried that people will not have the sanity to check the work
You can't force them. It's their problem, not yours.

BvU said:
Don't know if my comments post was deleted, or that I simply messed up and didn't post. Your specimen sure looks different from the last time I saw it.

I wanted to fix it some more, then kept on re-uploading my edited versions. I apologize for inconveniencing you and inadvertently wiping your comments. Uploading or sending work, realizing I could have done something better, and then re-sending multiple revisions is a bad habit of mine that I really should have quit by the end of my academic career.

BvU said:
Was it indeed a few hours, or much more ?

I'd say so. At most, this particular document took six hours, including the time I needed to learn some of the formatting I did not learn on here while typing out posts.

robphy said:
Instead of (say) ##\sin\phi_2## and ##\cos\phi_3##,
you could write ##S_2## ##\quad## and ##C_3##,
which is probably easier on the eyes.

(It can be coded so that you can switch back if you wished.
You could have similar lines, with the one you don't want now commented-out.)

##\color{red}{Colors}## (as you say) or [in case it's printed in b/w] ##\mathbf{bold}## or ##\underline{underline}## or ##\textsf{font change}## or ##{\Large size\ } change## would help.
(Right-click each to see the ##\LaTeX##.)

BvU said:
  • align, manually or with \begin {align*} etc. e.g. for this make the big ( line up vertically.
  • another way to align is with \phantom{...} . The ... is typeset (for h and v spacing) but not rendered.
  • adjust sizes. The [ ] above should be bigger than the big (. Use \left [... \right ] or do it manually with \big \ Big \bbig \Bbig etc.

Duly noted. Thanks for the tips.

Last edited:
Okay, through heavy revision, I think I have a https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1V8a0NFuTeh3PMXOckBPAOqbMas69q8MY?usp=sharing of the calculation.

Additionally, I have made notes in the TeX document asking for help on how to do so and so.

1. Can you use LaTeX for an informal presentation?

Yes, LaTeX can be used for both formal and informal presentations. It is a versatile typesetting program that can create professional-looking documents for various purposes.

2. Is LaTeX difficult to use for creating presentations?

LaTeX may have a bit of a learning curve for beginners, but it is not difficult to use once you get the hang of it. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help you learn the basics.

3. Does LaTeX have any advantages over other presentation software?

Yes, LaTeX has several advantages over other presentation software. It allows for precise formatting and control over the layout of the presentation, making it ideal for creating visually appealing slides. It also has a wide range of mathematical and scientific symbols and equations that can be easily integrated into the presentation.

4. Can you customize the design and layout of the presentation in LaTeX?

Yes, one of the main advantages of using LaTeX for presentations is the ability to fully customize the design and layout. With its powerful typesetting capabilities, you can create unique and professional-looking slides with ease.

5. Is LaTeX compatible with different operating systems?

Yes, LaTeX is a cross-platform program and is compatible with various operating systems such as Windows, Mac, and Linux. This makes it accessible to a wide range of users.