For any one who does dangerous sports/activities. Don't watch this

• Thread starter AtomicJoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    watch
In summary, the conversation is about a bungee jumping accident that occurred in Pucón, Chile. A tourist fell from a height of 20 meters and was seriously injured. The company responsible for the jump was found guilty and the owner was sentenced to 300 days in prison, but was given the benefit of remission. The prosecutor considers this to be a landmark ruling and cites evidence that the rope used was not up to industry standards. The victim has undergone multiple surgeries and his family has filed a lawsuit against the company. There is an appeal against the sentence, citing a double jeopardy situation. The case is compared to another similar case where the owner of a rafting company was acquitted of responsibility for a death.
AtomicJoe
For anyone who does dangerous sports/activities.Don't watch this is you are easily upset, you know what is going to happen.
It happens at the end so you can safely watch the start and bail out.If this is considered inappropriate please remove it mods, but a warning has been given.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ZMAlRMw-c&feature=ytn:mptnews

Goes without saying I would never do anything like that.

Physics news on Phys.org

The intertubes is rife with this stuff. Why this one?

I wonder if he lived. It looks like he was almost at a stop when it let go, and he was only a dozen feet up. It 's possible.

AtomicJoe said:
For anyone who does dangerous sports/activities.

Don't watch this is you are easily upset, you know what is going to happen.
It happens at the end so you can safely watch the start and bail out.

If this is considered inappropriate please remove it mods, but a warning has been given.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ZMAlRMw-c&feature=ytn:mptnews

Goes without saying I would never do anything like that.

Atomic,

Is this a photo shopped fake ? Could be...

Rhody...

Nothing horrible about that.

The guy was at the 'bottom' (or almost) when it happens, as Dave points out, nearly stopped and only a short distance up.

Unless he landed on his neck I'd be surprised if he died. I've seen a lot worse. In fact, I'd go as far to say this is pretty benign.

I expected him to hit the floor as the line was too long.

JaredJames said:

Thats what I expected too, I really think he would be just fine since he was essentially stopped when the rope broke.

JaredJames said:
Nothing horrible about that.

The guy was at the 'bottom' (or almost) when it happens, as Dave points out, nearly stopped and only a short distance up.

Unless he landed on his neck I'd be surprised if he died. I've seen a lot worse. In fact, I'd go as far to say this is pretty benign.

If it wasn't fake I would guess the damage from the stretched bungie smacking him (if it in fact did) would be worse than hitting the ground.

Rhody...

rhody said:
If it wasn't fake I would guess the damage from the stretched bungie smacking him (if it in fact did) would be worse than hitting the ground.

Well the footage looks authentic, whether it was a real accident is another thing.

There's nothing immediately jumping out at me to flag it as fake.

DaveC426913 said:
The intertubes is rife with this stuff. Why this one?

I wonder if he lived. It looks like he was almost at a stop when it let go, and he was only a dozen feet up. It 's possible.

He did live but was seriously injured.
They are prosecuting the people responsible and looks like someone is going to jail for a year.

The real lesson here is DON'T GO BUNGEE JUMPING IN MEXICO! Underdeveloped countries never have the same kinds of regulations as developed ones...

Also falling from that height isn't what can kill you, it's that rope snapping and striking you that could.

Here is a machine translated verdict from he courts.

SERGIO VALENZUELA
The court decided Pucón Assurance found guilty of serious injury tort tourism entrepreneur Heriberto Galleguillos the detriment of a tourist in January 2010 fell from a height of 20 meters after bungee jump.
The sentencing court found Galleguillos to be 300 days' imprisonment for his role in the events. The employer shall not be detained because he was given the benefit of remission of sentence. The sentence was announced yesterday at the end of simplified trial lasted three days.
The case took high connotation as Galleguilos was responsible for the high-stakes tests of the Farm VIP realities, Pathfinder Platoon and the End of the World.
HISTORICAL
The prosecutor Jorge Calderara agreed with the statement, indicating that this is a landmark ruling in the country.
"We are pleased because it is an unpublished decision. There is a similar process which has accepted the proposition that the employer is also responsible for the actions that make their employees."
According to the fiscal Calderara two tests that are key to clarify the serious episode that affected the tourist Antofagasta Juan Carlos Bouchard.
One of them is to have made a video that was recorded by their own families, which was shown during the first day of trial.
"The second test and we believe the most compelling was the mechanical skill by the PDI of Santiago, where they were categorical that the rope was handcrafted certification did not comply with any industry," said the prosecutor.
JUMP TO VACUUM
Antofagasta engineer Juan Carlos Bouchard suffered a serious fall on January 26, 2010 when he decided to bungee jump from a height of 50 meters.
For this purpose engaged the services of the Company Geoexpediciones which was installed in access to Pucón.
When Juan Carlos Bouchard was about 20 feet above the ground, the rope gave way and continued to fall to impact heavily on the floor.
The shocking scene was seen by his family, including young children of 14 and 11 years.
The serious injuries suffered after the fall caused his multiple fractures and consequences in your body for life.
Juan Carlos Bouchard has undergone at least 18 surgeries.
Following the ruling of the Court Pucón Guarantee, there remains a millionaire's family claim filed against the employer tourist Galleguillos.
INVALIDITY
Gaspar Calderón temuquense counsel was responsible for the defense of the employer Heriberto Galleguillos and indicated it would appeal the sentence.
"There is an error of law in determining the causal link must exist conduct and outcome of injury," he said.
The professional said that in this case is a situation of double jeopardy. This is because the sentence describes the responsibility yesterday for a fact that was already assigned to another culprit: the operator of the company in charge of guiding the jump.
DIFFERENT APPROACH
In the case of Heriberto Galleguillos, justice applied a very different to that used against businessman Manuel Mera.
In October 2010, condemning the justice determined Danilo González rafting guide for the death of a young woman in the waters of Trancura in 2009. The businessman Manuel Mera was formalized and was acquitted in the respective trial.

Related to For any one who does dangerous sports/activities. Don't watch this

1. How dangerous are these sports/activities?

The level of danger in these sports/activities can vary greatly depending on the specific activity and individual's skill level. Some may be considered more dangerous than others, but all have potential risks involved.

2. What are some examples of dangerous sports/activities?

Examples of dangerous sports/activities can include extreme sports such as base jumping, rock climbing, or white-water rafting, as well as activities like skydiving, bungee jumping, or even motor racing.

3. What precautions should be taken when participating in these sports/activities?

It is important to always follow safety guidelines and receive proper training before attempting any dangerous sport or activity. Wearing appropriate safety gear and understanding the risks involved can also help minimize potential dangers.

4. Can anyone participate in these sports/activities?

It is recommended that individuals who are considering participating in dangerous sports/activities be in good physical condition and have the necessary skills and training. Certain activities may also have age or weight restrictions.

5. Are there any benefits to participating in these sports/activities?

While there are certainly risks involved in dangerous sports/activities, they can also provide a sense of thrill and accomplishment. Some may also argue that these activities can help build physical and mental strength and resilience.