For the life of me I can't solve this integral sqrt(1-x^3)

In summary, a student in Calc II is struggling with solving a double integral with the square root of 1-x^3. They have attempted to use integration by parts and substitution, but have not been successful. Another student provides a hint that x^2 is the derivative of 1-x^3, and the original student is able to solve the integral and obtain a final answer of 2/9.
Alexstrasza

Homework Statement

Hi, I have a double integral with square root of 1-x^3 that I can't solve.

Here is the integral and attempt at the solution. I get stuck!

Homework Equations

I am in Calc II.

Mostly we used integration by parts, or substituting t=something for most "difficult" integrals.

The Attempt at a Solution

Above.

Hope someone can help or give me a hint how to solve this.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: x2 is the derivative of 1-x3 (up to a prefactor).

mfb said:
Hint: x2 is the derivative of 1-x3 (up to a prefactor).
Thank you!

I solved it and got 0 for an answer, is that possible?

##\sqrt{1-x^3}## is positive everywhere, can the result be 0?

Likes Chestermiller
Oops, when I solved for x=1 I got 0 and for some reason assumed solving for x=0 would also be 0.

I got 2/9 final answer.

Thank you for helping. :)

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of a quantity or the area under a curve. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to find the original function from its derivative.

Why is it difficult to solve the integral sqrt(1-x^3)?

The integral sqrt(1-x^3) is difficult to solve because it does not have a closed form solution. This means that it cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, exponentials, and trigonometric functions.

What are some possible methods for solving this integral?

Some possible methods for solving this integral include using substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitutions. However, these methods may not always lead to a solution and may require advanced techniques such as contour integration or series expansions.

Can this integral be solved using numerical methods?

Yes, this integral can be solved using numerical methods such as Simpson's rule, the trapezoidal rule, or Monte Carlo integration. These methods involve approximating the integral using a series of calculations and can provide a close approximation to the actual value.

What are some real-world applications of solving this integral?

The integral sqrt(1-x^3) may arise in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, and economics. It can be used to calculate the volume of certain shapes, the work done by a force, or the rate of change of a system. It is also used in the development of computer algorithms and in data analysis.