Force acting on steel rod (deformation)

In summary: For the rod to be in equilibrium, there must be a force applied by the wall at location A, which is (300 - 180) + 120 = 0N.
foo9008
in this problem , i could only understand that P3 = 120KN , i can't understand why P2= -60kN and why P1 = 240kN ? can someone explain ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• 2270003.jpg
    2270003.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 466
  • 2280007.jpg
    2280007.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 445
Physics news on Phys.org
In the same way that you can do a shear force diagram for lateral loads on a beam you can do a tension force diagram for axial loads on a shaft .

Basically plot a graph of axial tension against position along shaft . Have a try .

Nidum said:
In the same way that you can do a shear force diagram for lateral loads on a beam you can do a tension force diagram for axial loads on a shaft .

Basically plot a graph of axial tension against position along shaft . Have a try .
What do you mean? can you explain further?

If you do a force balance on the entire rod, what do you get for the reaction force on the left end?

Chestermiller said:
If you do a force balance on the entire rod, what do you get for the reaction force on the left end?
how to do it ? i know only the P3 ... which is 120kN , how to do for P1 and P2 ?

Attachments

• 229.png
    229.png
    937 bytes · Views: 423
foo9008 said:
how to do it ? i know only the P3 ... which is 120kN , how to do for P1 and P2 ?
You have 3 forces acting on the rod: 300 kN, 180 kN, and 120 kN. In order of the rod to be in static equilibrium, there must also be a force applied by the wall on the bar at location A. What does that force have to be?

Chestermiller said:
You have 3 forces acting on the rod: 300 kN, 180 kN, and 120 kN. In order of the rod to be in static equilibrium, there must also be a force applied by the wall on the bar at location A. What does that force have to be?
what i found is this ? how to find the force applied by the wall on the bar at location A. ??
btw , i am not sure which 1 is P3 and which one is P2

Attachments

• 230.jpg
    230.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 418
foo9008 said:
what i found is this ? how to find the force applied by the wall on the bar at location A. ??
btw , i am not sure which 1 is P3 and which one is P2
Forget about P1, P2, and P3 for now. Are you saying that you don't know how to do a 1 dimensional equilibrium force balance on a solid object?

Likes foo9008
Chestermiller said:
Forget about P1, P2, and P3 for now. Are you saying that you don't know how to do a 1 dimensional equilibrium force balance on a solid object?
yes

Rod.PNG

F = 300 -180 + 120

Likes foo9008

Related to Force acting on steel rod (deformation)

1. What is force acting on a steel rod?

The force acting on a steel rod is the external force applied to the rod, which causes it to deform or change shape.

2. How does the force affect the deformation of a steel rod?

The force applied to a steel rod can cause it to elongate, compress, or bend depending on the direction and magnitude of the force.

3. What factors influence the force acting on a steel rod?

The force acting on a steel rod is influenced by several factors including the material properties of the rod, the type and direction of force applied, and the temperature of the rod.

4. How is the force acting on a steel rod measured?

The force acting on a steel rod can be measured using a force gauge or load cell, which can accurately measure the amount of force applied to the rod.

5. What are the consequences of excessive force acting on a steel rod?

Excessive force acting on a steel rod can lead to permanent deformation, failure or breakage of the rod, and potential safety hazards if the rod is part of a larger structure.