Force and flow speed of a syringe

In summary: The nurse needs to apply a minimum of 2.2 Newtons of force to the syringe in order to inject the medicine. The flow speed of the medicine through the needle is 3.852 meters per second.
aligass2004

Homework Statement

A 1.8mL syringe has an inner diameter of 5.6mm, a needle inner diameter of .26mm, and a plunger pad diameter (where you place your finger) of 1.0 cm. A nurse uses the syringe to inject medicine into a patient whose blood pressure is 140/100.
a.) What in the minimum force the nurse needs to apply to the syringe?
b.) The nurse empties the syringe in 2.2s. What is the flow speed of the medicine through the needle?

Homework Equations

Q = delta V/ delta t
Q = vA

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start part a. For part b I tried the first equation to get a Q of 8.18X10-7. Then I used the second equation to get v = 3.852.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I don't understand the meaning of the symbols you are using. Would you elaborate a bit, and also the formulae you are using? Then perhaps I can help you.

Hi,
i think applied force is the function of frictional forces b-n piston and syrenge and frictional force due to flow.

if u follw this finally you will end up with darcy weisbach formula.

This kind of depends on what level you're in. If this is a physics problem, then it appears to be a simple "hydraulics" problem. You have a small area of the needle, which is in a fluid of given pressure. In order to flow the fluid, the pressure inside needs to be greater than the blood pressure. Basically, what force on the plunger needs to be exerted to create enough pressure.

Now, it appears as if this is the case. The previous post mentioned the Darcy-Weisbach formula, which you shouldn't need, for two reasons now that I think about it. First, in order to calculate pressure losses in a system like this, you would need the length of the needle, which you're not given. Also, head loss is a function of velocity squared. You can assume negligible velocity at which point there is essentially no pressure loss.

So, you're left with a simple problem that is analagous to "find the force the man needs to exert to lift the car"

I was supposed to have got a word in edgeways
if I Understand the symbols in this forum correctly
but my post has got deleted somehow.

Stop mucking me around.

I'm qualified and willing to help (MODS)

David

Last edited:
[tex]F=PA[/tex]

[tex]F_{2}= \frac{A_{2}}{A_{1}}F_{1}[/tex]

[tex]v_{1}A_{1}=v_{2}A_{2}[/tex]

These are all you need to know to help you solve the problem

I have this same problem. just different numbers, i just don't know where do start...

Related to Force and flow speed of a syringe

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can be thought of as a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change its direction or shape. In the context of a syringe, force is the pressure applied to the plunger that pushes the liquid out of the syringe.

2. How is force related to the flow speed of a syringe?

The force applied to the plunger of a syringe directly affects the flow speed of the liquid inside. The greater the force, the faster the flow speed will be. This is because the force overcomes the resistance of the liquid and pushes it out of the syringe with more speed.

3. What factors affect the force and flow speed of a syringe?

The force and flow speed of a syringe can be influenced by various factors, such as the viscosity of the liquid, the size and material of the needle, and the amount of pressure applied to the plunger. The size of the syringe and the length of the needle also play a role in determining the force and flow speed.

4. How can I increase the force and flow speed of a syringe?

To increase the force and flow speed of a syringe, you can apply more pressure to the plunger or use a syringe with a larger size and a shorter needle. Additionally, using a thinner and less viscous liquid can also result in a faster flow speed.

5. Why is it important to consider the force and flow speed of a syringe?

The force and flow speed of a syringe are important to consider because they can affect the accuracy and precision of the liquid being dispensed. It is crucial to understand these factors when using a syringe for scientific experiments or medical procedures to ensure safe and accurate results.