Force and Potential Energy Coordinates

In summary: And ##x## to ##rsin\theta cos\phi## and ##y## to ##rsin\theta sin\phi##.In summary, The force corresponding to the potential energy function ##V(r) = \frac{cz}{r^3}## is equal to ##F=\frac{c}{r^3}\hat{k}##. To find the force in spherical coordinates, one must differentiate the potential function with respect to all three coordinates, x, y, and z, and then replace the variables with their equivalent expressions in spherical coordinates.
teme92

Homework Statement

Evaluate the force corresponding to the potential energy function ##V (r) = \frac{cz}{r^3}##, where ##c## is a constant. Write your answer in vector notation, and also in spherical polars, and verify that it satisfies ##∇∧F = 0##.

Homework Equations

##F(x)=-\frac{dU}{dx}##

Spherical Coordinates:
##r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
So I'm confused a bit here. I think the vector notation will only have a ##z## component. So differentiate to get ##F## and then as ##r## is a polar coordinate I just change ##r^3## to ##\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}^3##. This doesn't look right though. I have a list of relations from cartesian to spherical coordinates but I don't understand how to answer the question with the ##\frac{1}{r^3}##. I know how to do the last bit which is the curl. Thanks in advance for any help in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your relevant equation is not true for three dimension. So what is the relation between the force and the potential energy function?

Ok is it:

##F(x,y,z)=-\Big(\frac{dU}{dx}+\frac{dU}{dy}+\frac{dU}{dz}\Big)##?

teme92 said:
Ok is it:

##F(x,y,z)=-\Big(\frac{dU}{dx}+\frac{dU}{dy}+\frac{dU}{dz}\Big)##?
No. The force is a vector. You wrote a scalar.

##F(x,y,z)=-\Big(\frac{dU}{dx}\hat{i}+\frac{dU}{dy}\hat{j}+\frac{dU}{dz}\hat{k}\Big)##?

teme92 said:
##F(x,y,z)=-\Big(\frac{dU}{dx}\hat{i}+\frac{dU}{dy}\hat{j}+\frac{dU}{dz}\hat{k}\Big)##?
Yes.
Now you can determine the force from the potential function.

So ##F=\frac{c}{r^3}\hat{k}##?

teme92 said:
So ##F=\frac{c}{r^3}\hat{k}##?
How did you get it?
You have to differentiate the potential energy function with respect to all coordinates, x, y, z.

Well there is no x or y component so its only the differentiating with respect to z that matters no?

teme92 said:
Well there is no x or y component so its only the differentiating with respect to z that matters no?
The potential energy is a scalar, it does not have "components". But it depends on all the three coordinates through r ##r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}##
What are the partial derivatives?

So is ##r^3 = x^3+y^3+z^3##?

teme92 said:
So is ##r^3 = x^3+y^3+z^3##?
NO!
##r^3=(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}##

I know that's the obvious answer but I thought it was to do with what the power was. So I have to differentiate:

##\frac{cz}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}##

With respect to x,y and z?

Yes. You need all partial derivatives, ## \partial U / \partial x ##, ## \partial U / \partial y ##, ## \partial U / \partial z ##.

teme92 said:
I know that's the obvious answer but I thought it was to do with what the power was. So I have to differentiate:

##\frac{cz}{(x^2+y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}##

With respect to x,y and z?
Yes.

So I have a long mess of an answer that I won't put up cos it seems pointless. I'm fairly sure it was all differentiated correctly though. For the spherical part do I just start again and change ##z## to ##rcos\theta##?

teme92 said:
For the spherical part do I just start again and change ##z## to ##rcos\theta##?
Yes.

What is force and potential energy?

Force and potential energy are two fundamental concepts in physics that describe the interactions between objects. Force is a measure of the push or pull exerted on an object, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or configuration.

How are force and potential energy related?

Force and potential energy are related through the concept of work. Work is done when a force is applied to an object and causes it to move. This work changes the object's potential energy, either increasing or decreasing it depending on the direction of the force.

What are the units of force and potential energy?

The SI unit of force is the Newton (N), which is equivalent to 1 kg*m/s^2. The SI unit of potential energy is the Joule (J), which is equivalent to 1 kg*m^2/s^2.

What is the difference between conservative and non-conservative forces?

Conservative forces are those that do not dissipate energy and can be described by a potential energy function. Examples include gravitational and elastic forces. Non-conservative forces, on the other hand, do dissipate energy and cannot be described by a potential energy function. Examples include friction and air resistance.

How are force and potential energy used in practical applications?

Force and potential energy are used in a variety of practical applications, including designing structures and machines, understanding the motion of objects, and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They also play a crucial role in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry.