Is There a Relationship Between Dipole and Wire Interaction Energy?

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving the calculation of dipole and interaction energy. In part a, the speaker was able to solve for the dipole moment using the given equation. However, they encountered difficulty in part b, where they were unsure of the potential energy relationship between a dipole and a wire. The suggestion was made to use the approximation r>>R and the formula U = -m.B, with further readings recommended for clarification.
Diracobama2181
Homework Statement
A sphere of radius R carries a charge q that is distributed uniformly over the
surface of the sphere. The sphere spins at constant angular velocity ω.
(a) Calculate the magnetic moment m of this sphere and determine the leading
term of the multipole expansion of the vector potential A at large distances
r : i.e., r >> R.
(b) Calculate the interaction energy between this sphere and an infinite straight
wire carrying a steady current I. The angle between the direction of the
current and the angular velocity vector ω is θ while the distance ρ between the wire and the sphere is much greater than the sphere radius: i.e.,
ρ >>R. Consider the case when ω is perpendicular to ˆe_ρ.
Relevant Equations
$$m=\int I da$$
$$A_{dip}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{msin\theta}{r^2}$$ (from Griffiths)
Part a was not much of a problem. I got that $$m=QR\omega \hat{z}$$. From that, I get $$A_{dip}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\frac{QR\omega}{r^2}\hat{\phi}$$ (using $$\theta=\frac{pi}{2}$$.
My problem occurs in part b. I know there is a potential energy relation for two dipoles, but what would I use for a dipole and a wire? More specifically, is there a relationship between A and the interaction energy? Any suggestions or further readings on this subject would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using approximation r>>R. The magnetic field is approximately constant over the surface. Or you can be more exact if you Taylor expand the magnetic field due to wire at large distance. After that use:

## U= -m.B##

Likes Diracobama2181

What is magnetic interaction energy?

Magnetic interaction energy is the potential energy that exists between two magnetic objects due to their magnetic fields. It is a type of potential energy that can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the orientation of the magnetic poles.

What are the factors that affect magnetic interaction energy?

The factors that affect magnetic interaction energy include the distance between the objects, the strength of the magnetic fields, and the orientation of the magnetic poles. The greater the distance between the objects, the weaker the interaction energy. Stronger magnetic fields and aligned poles result in a higher interaction energy.

How is magnetic interaction energy calculated?

Magnetic interaction energy can be calculated using the equation E = -μ1μ2/4πr^3, where μ1 and μ2 are the magnetic dipole moments of the two objects and r is the distance between them.

What are some real-life applications of magnetic interaction energy?

Magnetic interaction energy plays a crucial role in many technological applications, such as generators, motors, and magnetic levitation systems. It is also essential in medical imaging techniques like MRI, where magnetic fields are used to create images of the body's tissues.

How does temperature affect magnetic interaction energy?

Temperature does not significantly affect magnetic interaction energy unless it reaches extreme temperatures. At extremely high temperatures, the particles in a material vibrate more, causing the magnetic dipoles to align randomly, weakening the interaction energy. However, at room temperature, the effect of temperature on magnetic interaction energy is negligible.