Force between electric dipoles

In summary, the force between two electric dipoles arranged with dipole moments qd nose to tail at a distance r (r >> d) along a line including their axis varies as r4. This can be shown by using Coulomb's law and the approximation that r >> d, or d/r << 1. By solving for the dipole moment equation and plugging it into Coulomb's law, it can be seen that the force falls off at r4 due to the difference between r and d.
inverTap

Homework Statement

Arrange two electric dipoles with dipole moments qd nose to tail at a distance r (r >> d) along a line including their axis. Use Coulomb's law to show that the force between them varies as r4.

Homework Equations

UaFqU.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

So in my first attempt, all I did was solve the dipole moment eqn for q, (q1=p1/d, q2=-p2/d) and plug that into Coulomb's law so that you get F= -(p1p2/d2)/(4(pi)(eps0)r2)

Now the part where I am confused is the difference between r and d. If they are just different ways of describing the same thing, then I would get r4 in the denominator which I think then proves that the force falls off at r4.
Is this assumption correct? What is the difference between r and d?

Physics news on Phys.org
r and d are different .. notice you have (r >> d) in the problem statement.

remember that a dipole consists of two charges separated a small distance.
so the layout looks something like

-q1 ... q1 {space here == distance = r} -q2 ... q2

or as a dipole interaction
--> (d1) {space here == distance = r} --> (d2)
[where d1 = q1*d and d2 = q2*d ]

where the distance d is the distance between -q1 and q1 and
-q2 and q2 and the distance r>>d is the distance between the dipoles.
(might as well consider it the distance from center to center.)

so you'll need to use coulomb's law and some approximation [Taylor's series]
such that r>>d (or d/r << 1).

Ah ok, that makes perfect sense. My textbook author doesn't always break things down that much, but I understand now. Thanks very much for your help!

Related to Force between electric dipoles

1. What is the force between electric dipoles?

The force between electric dipoles is the attractive or repulsive force that exists between two electric dipoles due to the interaction of their electric fields. It is a type of electrostatic force.

2. How is the force between electric dipoles calculated?

The force between electric dipoles can be calculated using the following formula: F = (1/4πε0) * (p1 * p2) * (2/r4 - 1/r3), where F is the force, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, p1 and p2 are the magnitudes of the dipoles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the force between electric dipoles?

The force between electric dipoles is affected by the magnitude of the dipoles, the distance between them, and the angle between the dipoles. It also depends on the dielectric constant of the medium in which the dipoles are placed.

4. Can the force between electric dipoles be repulsive?

Yes, the force between electric dipoles can be either attractive or repulsive. It depends on the orientation of the dipoles relative to each other. If their orientations are parallel, the force will be attractive, and if they are anti-parallel, the force will be repulsive.

5. How does the force between electric dipoles change with distance?

The force between electric dipoles follows an inverse cubic relationship with distance. This means that as the distance between the dipoles increases, the force between them decreases rapidly. However, the force also depends on the inverse square of the distance due to the dipole-dipole interaction of their electric fields.