Force between two superconducting wires

In summary, when considering two parallel superconducting wires with the same current and direction, they may experience a magnetic force attracting them together. However, due to the expulsion of magnetic fields in superconductors, the force may not be as strong. Additionally, the principle of Newton's third law still applies. Amperes force law may also apply to superconductors.
Danyon
Consider two parallel superconducting wires. Both the wires carry the same current and the current is going in the same direction. do they experience a magnetic force attracting them together? Or do their magnetic fields behave differently?

Physics news on Phys.org
So does amperes force law apply to superconductors?

At the foot of this page ⇣⇣⇣ you'll see an earlier article on Lorentz force.

What is the concept of force between two superconducting wires?

The force between two superconducting wires is an electromagnetic force that exists when two superconducting wires are placed in close proximity to each other. This force is due to the interaction of the magnetic fields generated by the superconducting wires.

How is the force between two superconducting wires calculated?

The force between two superconducting wires can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0/2π) * (I1 * I2)/d, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

What factors affect the force between two superconducting wires?

The force between two superconducting wires is affected by the currents in the wires, the distance between the wires, and the permeability of free space. Additionally, the force may be influenced by the presence of any external magnetic fields.

Can the force between two superconducting wires be attractive or repulsive?

The force between two superconducting wires can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the direction of the currents in the wires. If the currents are in the same direction, the force will be attractive, and if the currents are in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

What is the practical application of the force between two superconducting wires?

The force between two superconducting wires has potential applications in various fields such as transportation, levitation, and energy storage. The force can be used to propel high-speed trains, create frictionless bearings, and store energy in superconducting coils. It also has potential uses in medical imaging and particle accelerators.