Force magnitude from acceleration vs. mass graph?

In summary, the magnitude of the force is the amount of force required to cause an object to accelerate at a given rate.
lawsonj
I am a new university physics student doing some homework, but i cannot find the method for this problem.

How do I find the magnitude of a force from an acceleration vs. mass graph?

I know mass is the inverse of the slope of an acceleration vs. force graph, but I'm not sure how to do this the other way around.

Any help?
Thank you !

Physics news on Phys.org
lawsonj said:
I am a new university physics student doing some homework, but i cannot find the method for this problem.

I know mass is the inverse of the slope of an acceleration vs. force graph, but I'm not sure how to do this the other way around.

Any help?
Thank you !

Your question makes no sense. If you are plotting acceleration vs. mass, you must be plotting the response of numerous different objects (having different masses) and being subject to some forces, leading to some accelerations, possibly different for each of the different objects.

lawsonj said:

I would replot acceleration vs 1/mass.

Ray Vickson said:
Your question makes no sense. If you are plotting acceleration vs. mass, you must be plotting the response of numerous different objects (having different masses) and being subject to some forces, leading to some accelerations, possibly different for each of the different objects.

yes. it may be multiple objects, but there is only 1 force acting on them. I'm assigned to find the magnitude of that force.

"The following figure shows the acceleration of objects of different mass that experience the same force."
"What is the magnitude of the force? "

CWatters said:
I would replot acceleration vs 1/mass.

how would that let me find the magnitude of the force?

We just started this chapter and I guess the book assumes you know how to find the magnitude from the graph. I don't know how to do that.

lawsonj said:
how would that let me find the magnitude of the force?

We just started this chapter and I guess the book assumes you know how to find the magnitude from the graph. I don't know how to do that.

Use Newton's Second Law.

Related to Force magnitude from acceleration vs. mass graph?

1. What is a force magnitude from acceleration vs. mass graph?

A force magnitude from acceleration vs. mass graph is a visual representation of the relationship between an object's mass, acceleration, and the force acting on it. It shows how the two variables, mass and acceleration, affect the force applied to an object.

2. How is the force magnitude calculated from an acceleration vs. mass graph?

The force magnitude can be calculated by using the formula F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. By plotting the values of mass and acceleration on the graph and using this formula, the force magnitude can be determined for any given point on the graph.

3. What does the slope of a force magnitude from acceleration vs. mass graph represent?

The slope of a force magnitude from acceleration vs. mass graph represents the constant force applied to an object. This is because the slope is equal to the force divided by the mass, or F/m. Therefore, the steeper the slope, the greater the force acting on the object.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the force magnitude on an acceleration vs. mass graph?

The mass of an object directly affects the force magnitude on an acceleration vs. mass graph. As the mass increases, the force magnitude also increases, assuming the acceleration remains constant. This is because the force acting on an object is directly proportional to its mass, as shown in the formula F = m x a.

5. What is the significance of the acceleration on a force magnitude from acceleration vs. mass graph?

The acceleration on a force magnitude from acceleration vs. mass graph is significant because it shows how much the speed of an object changes over time. If the acceleration is constant, the graph will show a straight line. However, if the acceleration is changing, the graph will have a curved line. The magnitude of the acceleration also affects the slope of the graph, which in turn affects the force magnitude.