Force need to break a magnetic lock

In summary, the person is looking for a way to break a lock on a gate. They are unsure of the holding force of the lock and are looking for help from someone else.
AAnephite
Force need to break a magnetic lock NOT SOLVED

So rest assured I'm not planning a prison break. I work in a secure treatment center for adolescents and the other night we had an escape. Many of the staff are amazed at the ease they busted the lock. I looked at it and there is a lot of play on the top and bottom. Having just completed half of a physics for scientist and engineers I thought I can figure how easy it is and maybe come up with better lock placement. So here is the raw data.

I looked up and found a similar lock system they have on some of the other doors here it is.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/p-27-1571v-1200lbs-12-to-24-volt-magnetic-lock.aspx?affiliateid=10050&wm_ctID=359&wm_kwID=21942114&wm_mtID=1&wm_DefaultURL=http%3a%2f%2fwww.homesecuritystore.com%2f&source=pla&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

So it's 1200 lbs force but the gate but all doors and gates have one lock what is the formula or how do I calculate the ratio of movement required to break the lock.

This gate the lock sits in the middle of a chain link fence that's about 9 feet high if I pushed the bottom have far or with what force is required to break the bond.

I'm thinking a if only one lock has to be used placing the lock towards the ground more would leave it more secure given the higher up due to height limitations of humans would be better.

Hey I'd love some help sucking up t.o my bosses so please help me learn what I need to figure this stuff out.

Ps I got another question ill ask later about another work related question.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a lot of play on the top and bottom of what?
You mean if you push the top of a door or gate, the door will bend a lot around the lock?

I don't see any "raw data".

Though it take 1200lbs to force the lock open, under rated operating conditions, someone could apply more than that by using some sort of lever. It is also possible that the locks are not being used under rated conditions.

Your right lacking the raw and I'm going to guesstimate and make a few broad assumptions. The lock let's say has a set holding force of 1200 lbs here is another lock with a higher force

http://www.sdcsecurity.com/1510-Series-Electromagnetic-Door-Lock.htm

I'm unsure what is meant by holding force if it can be viewed like a static friction or not.

The lock is like 8" by 2" and on the 9' gate roughly in the middle this gate is a chain link fence with the standard galvanized steel tubing so yes the further away from the lock the easier it is to move the outer portion of the gate which would inturn cause more pressure or stress on the lock plate due to the. Static position of the lock plate the motion would be in an arc. So if the length of the portion of the fence is 4.5' the radius of the arc would be that.

I have no idea and just guessing I would imagine that I would be looking at the exact point of distance from initial position it takes to greater then or equal to the holding power. I wold think the equation would be something like the

ΔS=Ar/μholding force

But I don't know if this is how it would look or if this is totally wrong. Let's see if I provided enough info this time and Ty for getting me to provide more info

1. How much force is needed to break a magnetic lock?

The amount of force needed to break a magnetic lock depends on various factors, such as the strength of the magnet, the type of lock, and the materials used. Generally, a strong force is required to break a magnetic lock, as the magnets are designed to be difficult to separate.

2. Can any type of force break a magnetic lock?

No, not all types of force can break a magnetic lock. The force must be strong enough to overcome the magnetic attraction between the lock and the magnet. Additionally, the force must be applied in the correct direction and at the right angle to successfully break the lock.

3. How does the strength of the magnet affect the force needed to break a magnetic lock?

The strength of the magnet is a crucial factor in determining the force needed to break a magnetic lock. A stronger magnet will require more force to break the lock, as the magnetic attraction will be greater. However, a weak magnet may not be able to hold the lock securely, making it easier to break.

4. Can heat or cold affect the force needed to break a magnetic lock?

Yes, extreme temperatures can affect the force needed to break a magnetic lock. Extremely high temperatures can weaken the magnet's strength, making it easier to break the lock. On the other hand, extremely low temperatures can cause the lock and magnet to become brittle, making them more susceptible to breaking under force.

5. Are there any tools or techniques that can make it easier to break a magnetic lock?

Yes, there are tools and techniques that can make it easier to break a magnetic lock. For example, a strong hammer or pry bar may be used to apply a forceful impact to the lock, making it easier to break. Additionally, certain techniques, such as applying pressure to the lock at its weakest point, can also make it easier to break the lock.