Force needed to support Suspension of a Vehicle

In summary, the suspension of a vehicle is modeled with a spring of stiffness 178 N/mm and an unstretched length of 347 mm. The value of P and the force supported by member AB are to be determined for the suspension to be in equilibrium with AB horizontal. Using the equations ΣF=0, ΣFxi+ΣFyj=0, ΣFx=0, and ΣFy=0, and the spring law Fs=kδ=k(L-L0), the force of the spring is found to be negative, indicating the direction in which it is working. However, the problem statement does not specify this direction.
Alison A.

Homework Statement

A model for the suspension of a vehicle is shown where the spring has stiffness k = 178 N/mm and an unstreched length of 347 mm.

http://imgur.com/1dTVs12

Determine the value P and the force supported by member AB so that the suspension has the equilibrium position shown where member AB is horizontal.

Homework Equations

ΣF=0
ΣFxi+ΣFyj=0,
ΣFx=0, and ΣFy=0.
Spring Law: Fs=kδ=k(L-L0)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by trying to find the force of the spring
Fs= 178 N/mm (RCA-347mm)

Finding RCA I took the pythagorean theorem (141)2+(229)2=RCA, RCA=268

However when I put that number back into the equation it's a negative number... I don't understand why or what I'm doing wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I saw this in another thread too ? Anyway, the force the spring exercises being negative says something about the direction it is working in. That's perfectly fine. Your problem statement says nothing about it, but I suppose the picture has AB horizontal and the car in a steady state equilibrium. Then your equations come in useful.

1. What is the force needed to support the suspension of a vehicle?

The force needed to support the suspension of a vehicle is dependent on several factors, including the weight of the vehicle, the type of suspension system, and the type of terrain the vehicle will be driven on. In general, the force needed is equal to the weight of the vehicle plus any additional force caused by bumps or uneven surfaces.

2. How does the type of suspension system affect the force needed to support a vehicle?

The type of suspension system plays a significant role in determining the force needed to support a vehicle. A softer suspension system will require less force to support the vehicle, as it can absorb more of the impact from bumps and uneven surfaces. On the other hand, a stiffer suspension system will require more force to support the vehicle, as it transfers more of the impact to the vehicle's frame.

3. What is the relationship between vehicle weight and the force needed to support its suspension?

There is a direct relationship between vehicle weight and the force needed to support its suspension. As the weight of the vehicle increases, so does the force needed to support it. This is because more weight puts more strain on the suspension system, and the force needed to support it must increase to compensate.

4. How can the terrain affect the force needed to support a vehicle's suspension?

The terrain a vehicle is driven on can greatly impact the force needed to support its suspension. Rougher terrains, such as off-road trails or pothole-ridden roads, will require more force to support the vehicle's suspension due to the increased impact and strain on the system. In contrast, smooth terrains, such as highways, will require less force as the impact and strain on the suspension system are minimal.

5. Can the force needed to support a vehicle's suspension be changed?

Yes, the force needed to support a vehicle's suspension can be changed by adjusting the suspension system. For example, stiffening the suspension will increase the force needed to support the vehicle, while softening it will decrease the force needed. Additionally, adding or removing weight from the vehicle can also impact the force needed to support its suspension.