Force of a bar to stop a rotating cylinder

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving a rotating cylinder being braked by a bar with a brake shoe. The cylinder's mass, radius, and frictional coefficient are given, as well as the time and rotational speed at which it needs to be stopped. The conversation discusses taking moments about different points, the effect of the curved surface of the brake shoe, and the sum of torques on the cylinder and bar. The correct equation for solving the problem is determined to be F_1 = F_2(x + μb)/(x + a), with the final answer being approximately 4.1N.
whatdoido
Hi, I'm having conceptual problems for solving this one.

1. Homework Statement

I drew a picture of this problem, which should show up below. Lengths x,a and b were given in the original picture.

A rotating closed cylinder is braked with a bar. Its brake shoe is pressed in respect of point B without friction. The bar AB presses the cylinder. Force [itex]F_1[/itex] is used in point A.

Calculate the needed force when cylinder stops from a rotational speed of 1200 RPM clockwise in 12 seconds. Cylinder's mass is 14 kg, radius 6,5 cm and frictional coefficient 0,33.

cylinder.png

[itex]r=6,5 cm= 0,065m[/itex]
[itex]\mu=0,33[/itex]
[itex]x=7,0 cm=0,07m[/itex]
[itex]a=19 cm=0,19m[/itex]
[itex]b=1,2 cm=0,012m[/itex]
[itex]m=14kg[/itex]
[itex]\Delta t=12s[/itex]
[itex]n=1200 RPM=20r/s[/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex]M=J\alpha[/itex]
[itex]M=Fr[/itex]
[itex]J=\frac{1}{2}mr^2[/itex]
[itex]\sum M=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I know how to calculate the force needed to stop the rotating cylinder

[itex]M=J\alpha\hspace{30mm}M=\mu Nr[/itex]
[itex]J\alpha=\mu Nr[/itex]
[itex]N=\frac{mr2\pi n}{t \mu}[/itex]
[itex]=28,877... N[/itex]

[itex]F_1[/itex] can be calculated with torques I'm pretty sure, but this is the spot where I am stuck at. Something like [itex]F_2 x=F_1 (x+a)[/itex] won't do. I should somehow take in the consideration the clockwise movement of cylinder (in part b of this problem it is supposed to calculate [itex]F_1[/itex] in counter-clockwise movement). Cylinder has a torque [itex]F_3[/itex], right? So I thought that is what I am supposed to use, but I'm not sure how to proceed.. I tried using some angles and make it work, but I cannot think something that would make me think "oh of course! That's how I can solve it" and give me the correct answer, eventually.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can the sum of the torques be zero if rotatational motion is being slowed to a stop?

whatdoido said:
##F_2 x=F_1 (x+a)## won't do.
Quite so. What point are you taking moments about? What other force acting on the bar has a moment about that point?

(There is something not quite right in the question, though. A brake shoe has a curved surface. The 'normal' acts in different directions around the curve. While the net force is F2, the frictional torque depends on the integral of the frictional force around the curve, so will be greater than ##\mu F_2##. To answer the question fully you would need to know the angle the shoe subtends at the cylinder's centre.)

haruspex said:
Quite so. What point are you taking moments about? What other force acting on the bar has a moment about that point?

Okay, then the best point would be probably between A and B. Let's call it C.

cylinder2.png

There is a moment [itex]F_1 a[/itex] at least. Then I think the other moment is cylinder's moment, which is [itex]M=J \alpha=0,309...Nm[/itex], right? The moment [itex]F_2 x[/itex] should make the cylinder stop rotating. [itex]F_2 x[/itex] creates a moment [itex]F_3 b[/itex] and ##M## resists that moment. So the moments acting in point C are [itex]F_1 a[/itex], [itex]F_3 b[/itex] and ##M##. Or is this how it is?

Yeah, the curve made me think. But since it has no special dimensions, I ignored it.

whatdoido said:
Okay, then the best point would be probably between A and B. Let's call it C.
That would leave you with an unknown force at the fulcrum, B. What point does that suggest?

haruspex said:
That would leave you with an unknown force at the fulcrum, B. What point does that suggest?
Yes, you are right.. So B then, right? But I need to change the equation ##F_2 x=F_1 (x+a)## somehow. Dr. Courtney mentioned that the sum of torques should not be zero.

whatdoido said:
Yes, you are right.. So B then, right? But I need to change the equation ##F_2 x=F_1 (x+a)## somehow. Dr. Courtney mentioned that the sum of torques should not be zero.
The sum of torques acting on the cylinder cannot be zero, but the bar does not rotate, so the sum of torques on that will be zero.

haruspex said:
The sum of torques acting on the cylinder cannot be zero, but the bar does not rotate, so the sum of torques on that will be zero.
Okay, I got a bit confused earlier. But is the sum of the torques on cylinder [itex]\mu xF_2[/itex]?

Then I could calculate the needed moment by [itex]\mu xF_2=J\alpha+F_3b[/itex]

I tried that, but still the answer is wrong a little bit

whatdoido said:
Okay, I got a bit confused earlier. But is the sum of the torques on cylinder [itex]\mu xF_2[/itex]?
The force tangential to the cylinder is clearly ##F_3=\mu F_2##. But I don't see how you bring x into it to get the torque. How far is the frictional force from the cylinder's centre?

haruspex said:
How far is the frictional force from the cylinder's centre?
##6,5 cm (=r)## I would think

whatdoido said:
##6,5 cm (=r)## I would think
Right, so what torque does it apply to the cylinder?

haruspex said:
Right, so what torque does it apply to the cylinder?
[itex]F_3 r[/itex], right?

By the way, can I write a torque ##F_3b## in relation to ##B##? Like ##F_2x+F_3b-F_1(x+a)=0## and since ##F_3=\mu F_2##, it would make ##F_2x+\mu F_2b=F_1(x+a)##

Last edited:
whatdoido said:
[itex]F_3 r[/itex], right?

By the way, can I write a torque ##F_3b## in relation to ##B##? Like ##F_2x+F_3b-F_1(x+a)=0## and since ##F_3=\mu F_2##, it would make ##F_2x+\mu F_2b=F_1(x+a)##
Yes to both.

haruspex said:
Yes to both.
And [itex]J\alpha=\mu F_2r[/itex]
[itex]F_2=\frac{mr\pi n}{t \mu}[/itex]
So I get
##F_1=\frac{F_2(x+\mu b)}{x+a}=\frac{\frac{mr\pi n}{t \mu}(x+\mu b)}{x+a}=4,107..N##
##≈4,1N##
That is the correct answer according to my book.

In part b the movement of cylinder is counter-clockwise, thus I figured that I just subtract the frictional moment of cylinder because less torque is needed

##F_2x+\mu F_2b-\mu M-F_1(x+a)=0##
where ##M=J \alpha##

This gives me ##F_1≈3,7N## which it should be

Did I get it correctly?

whatdoido said:
In part b the movement of cylinder is counter-clockwise, thus I figured that I just subtract the frictional moment of cylinder because less torque is needed

##F_2x+\mu F_2b-\mu M-F_1(x+a)=0##
where ##M=J \alpha##

This gives me ##F_1≈3,7N## which it should be

Did I get it correctly?
You don't seem to have used the same method that was successful in part a.
By what logic do you subtract ##\mu M##?
Think about which way F3 acts. Is it the same as before? Will its contribution to the moments about B be the same?

haruspex said:
You don't seem to have used the same method that was successful in part a.
By what logic do you subtract ##\mu M##?
Think about which way F3 acts. Is it the same as before? Will its contribution to the moments about B be the same?
I see! ##F_3## decreases the moment in relation to B.

That would give:
##F_2x-\mu F_2b=F_1(x+a)##

Now that I think about it, subtracting ##\mu M## does not make so much sense.. My logic was that cylinder's moment decreases B's moments. But ##F_3r## is cylinder's moment, so I should have thought about it more. I just saw a convenient answer.. :oops:

whatdoido said:
I see! ##F_3## decreases the moment in relation to B.

That would give:
##F_2x-\mu F_2b=F_1(x+a)##

Now that I think about it, subtracting ##\mu M## does not make so much sense.. My logic was that cylinder's moment decreases B's moments. But ##F_3r## is cylinder's moment, so I should have thought about it more. I just saw a convenient answer.. :oops:
OK!

haruspex said:
OK!
Alright, thanks for help

1. What is the force of a bar to stop a rotating cylinder?

The force required to stop a rotating cylinder depends on several factors such as the mass and velocity of the cylinder, the material and length of the bar, and the friction between the bar and the cylinder. A higher mass and velocity will require a greater force to stop the cylinder.

2. How is the force of a bar to stop a rotating cylinder calculated?

The force can be calculated using the formula F = (mv^2)/r, where m is the mass of the cylinder, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the cylinder. This formula is based on the principle of rotational motion, which states that the torque required to stop a rotating object is equal to the product of its moment of inertia and angular acceleration.

3. Does the length of the bar affect the force required to stop the rotating cylinder?

Yes, the length of the bar can affect the force required to stop a rotating cylinder. A longer bar will have a greater lever arm, which will increase the torque and therefore the force needed to stop the cylinder. A shorter bar will require less force to stop the cylinder.

4. What role does friction play in calculating the force of a bar to stop a rotating cylinder?

Friction plays a crucial role in calculating the force required to stop a rotating cylinder. The friction between the bar and the cylinder will create a torque that will resist the rotation of the cylinder. Therefore, a higher coefficient of friction between the two surfaces will require a greater force to stop the cylinder.

5. How does the speed of the rotating cylinder affect the force of the bar to stop it?

The speed of the rotating cylinder is directly proportional to the force required to stop it. This means that a higher speed will require a greater force to stop the cylinder, while a lower speed will require less force. This is because the kinetic energy of the cylinder increases with its speed, and more force is needed to dissipate this energy and stop the rotation.