Force of air on parachutist

• Thread starter JonnyG
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air Force
In summary: Therefore, the force exerted by the air must be equal in magnitude to the force of gravity, which is 490 N. In summary, the air exerts a force of 490 N on the 50-kg parachutist descending at a steady 40 km/h.
JonnyG

Homework Statement

A 50-kg parachutist descends at a steady 40 km/h. What force does air exert on the parachute?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I know that F_net = ma, where F_net is the net sum of all the forces acting on the parachutist. The two forces acting on him are gravity (acting downward) and the air resistance (acting upward). These forces are in opposite directions.

I know that if I denote the force caused by gravity (did I word that correctly?) by F_g, then we have F_g = 50(-9.8) = -490. Now I will have F_net = F_g + F_a, where F_a is the force of the air. I imagine that I have to use the fact that he is traveling at 40 km/h downward to figure out the his net force must be, and then solve for F_a. But, the way I see it, if he is traveling at a STEADY speed of 40 km/h, then his velocity is constant. So his acceleration is 0. But then I should get a net force of 0. This doesn't seem correct to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
JonnyG said:

Homework Statement

A 50-kg parachutist descends at a steady 40 km/h. What force does air exert on the parachute?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I know that F_net = ma, where F_net is the net sum of all the forces acting on the parachutist. The two forces acting on him are gravity (acting downward) and the air resistance (acting upward). These forces are in opposite directions.

I know that if I denote the force caused by gravity (did I word that correctly?) by F_g, then we have F_g = 50(-9.8) = -490. Now I will have F_net = F_g + F_a, where F_a is the force of the air. I imagine that I have to use the fact that he is traveling at 40 km/h downward to figure out the his net force must be, and then solve for F_a. But, the way I see it, if he is traveling at a STEADY speed of 40 km/h, then his velocity is constant. So his acceleration is 0. But then I should get a net force of 0.
Correct! :smile:
This doesn't seem correct to me.
Step back and let it sink in. :wink:

By the way, now that you have the net force, what is the force exerted by the air?

Likes JonnyG
collinsmark said:
Correct! :smile:

Step back and let it sink in. :wink:

By the way, now that you have the net force, what is the force exerted by the air?

Okay, I think it makes sense now! Since 0 = F_net = F_a + F_g = -490 N, then F_a = 490 N. It makes sense that the magnitude of the air force and the magnitude of the gravity force are equal, for they balance out to make his velocity constant.

Likes collinsmark
A net force of zero accounts for his net acceleration being zero.

Likes JonnyG

What is air resistance?

Air resistance is the force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. It is caused by the collision of air molecules with the surface of the object.

Why is air resistance important for a parachutist?

Air resistance is important for a parachutist because it is the force that slows down their descent and allows them to land safely. Without air resistance, the parachutist would fall to the ground at a much faster speed and could potentially get injured.

How does the size and shape of a parachute affect air resistance?

The size and shape of a parachute greatly affect air resistance. A larger parachute will create more air resistance, slowing down the descent of the parachutist. A more streamlined shape will also decrease air resistance compared to a bulkier shape.

What other factors can affect the force of air on a parachutist?

Other factors that can affect the force of air on a parachutist include the air density, the speed and direction of the wind, and the weight and surface area of the parachutist. These factors can impact the amount of air resistance experienced by the parachutist.

How is the force of air on a parachutist calculated?

The force of air on a parachutist can be calculated using the equation F = 1/2 * p * v^2 * A * Cd, where F is the force, p is the air density, v is the velocity of the object, A is the surface area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient. This equation takes into account the factors that affect air resistance and can be used to determine the force of air on a parachutist in different situations.