Finding Force of Air Resistance on Parachutist Falling at 55km/h

In summary, the parachutist experiences a deceleration of 12 m/s when her parachute opens. This results in a net force of 3.29 m/s.
SCA
1. A parachutist of mass 62 kg is falling at 55 km/h when her parachute open. She then falls 24 m in the next 2.0 seconds. Find the force of air resistance acting on the parachute during those 2.0 seconds.2. Could I just find the force of friction?3. I found out what the force would be if not including air resistance 607.6N but I do not know how to find the force of air resistance

Physics news on Phys.org
If someone falls 24m in 2 secs, what is the most obvious thing you can calculate from that?

Speed is 12m per second

Is that a constant speed?

Yes

Are you sure about that?

Nope, I have no idea where to even start but I did try using:
Fnet=ma
which is Fnet=3410
and I subtracted the free fall acceleration of 607.6 and I ended up with 2802.4
Is that anything like what I need to do?

I don't know where you got that first number. Anyway, first you have to work out what happens when the parachute opens. Hint: Have you converted the initial speed into m/s?

I got it by doing mass times gravity, The initial speed is 15.29 m/s

SCA said:
I got it by doing mass times gravity, The initial speed is 15.29 m/s
That's the right speed, although mass times gravity has nothing to do with it.

That means the parachutist slows down when the chute opens.

Can you see how to work out what the deceleration is?

Yeah sorry I was answering your question about how I got the first number. Not really, is the deceleration the force of air resistance?

SCA said:
Yeah sorry I was answering your question about how I got the first number. Not really, is the deceleration the force of air resistance?
You need to calculate the deceleration first.

Once you have that you calculate the nett force.

So you need to think carefully about the motion after the chute is opened and about what the 12 m/s represents.

Thank you for all your help!

So the Deceleration would be 12 m/s and then the net force would be 3.29 m/s?

No never mind 3.29 would be the acceleration you use to calculate the net force?

SCA said:
No never mind 3.29 would be the acceleration you use to calculate the net force?
You got the right answer but I'm not sure you know exactly why. You can go ahead and calculate the forces now. But you ought to justify that deceleration value.

is the end answer 404.86?

SCA said:
is the end answer 404.86?
No. That's less than the force due to gravity. Draw a diagram of the forces and you should see what is happening.

1. How does air resistance affect the speed of a parachutist falling at 55km/h?

Air resistance, also known as drag, is a force that opposes the motion of an object through the air. As the parachutist falls at 55km/h, they will experience an increasing amount of air resistance due to their increasing velocity. This means that the force of air resistance will slow down the parachutist, reducing their speed.

2. What factors can influence the force of air resistance on a parachutist?

The force of air resistance on a parachutist can be influenced by several factors, including the surface area of the parachutist, the shape and design of the parachute, the density of the air, and the speed at which the parachutist is falling.

3. How can the force of air resistance be calculated for a parachutist falling at 55km/h?

The force of air resistance can be calculated using the formula F = 0.5 * ρ * v^2 * A * Cd, where F is the force of air resistance, ρ is the density of the air, v is the velocity of the parachutist, A is the surface area of the parachutist, and Cd is the drag coefficient, which is determined by the shape and design of the parachute.

4. Is the force of air resistance constant for a parachutist falling at 55km/h?

No, the force of air resistance is not constant for a parachutist falling at 55km/h. As the parachutist falls, their velocity and the force of air resistance will change. Initially, the force of air resistance will be low, but as the parachutist gains speed, the force of air resistance will increase, eventually reaching a point of equilibrium where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity, resulting in a constant falling speed known as terminal velocity.

5. How can the force of air resistance be minimized for a parachutist falling at 55km/h?

The force of air resistance can be minimized for a parachutist falling at 55km/h by using a parachute with a smaller surface area and a more aerodynamic design. This will reduce the drag coefficient and decrease the force of air resistance. Additionally, the parachutist can maneuver their body to reduce their surface area and decrease the force of air resistance.