Force of an Expanding Ingot

In summary, the force of an expanding ingot refers to the pressure or energy exerted by an ingot as it expands due to changes in temperature or pressure. This force is affected by factors such as material properties, temperature gradient, and rate of expansion, and can be calculated using the formula F = kAΔT. It is important to study because it can impact the structural integrity and performance of materials, and can be controlled through methods such as using materials with lower thermal expansion coefficients and implementing structural supports.
AutumnBeds

Homework Statement

(c) A standard aluminium ingot is 746 mm in length at 20°C. When the ingots reach a temperature of 500°C. Calculate:(ii) the induced force in an ingot assuming it has become jammed in the furnace and is NOT free to expand
y = Modulus of elasticity for aluminium: 69 GPa
A=0.019m^2
Change in length= 7.95mm
Original Length=740mm

Homework Equations

F=Ay(change in length / original length)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
F=0.019*69x10^9(7.95/740)
F=14084391 Newtons

I've been to solve the above and have been told my original answer was incorrect. I've relooked at my work and come up with the above.

Any helps as to whether this looks correct would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
AutumnBeds said:

Homework Statement

(c) A standard aluminium ingot is 746 mm in length at 20°C. When the ingots reach a temperature of 500°C. Calculate:(ii) the induced force in an ingot assuming it has become jammed in the furnace and is NOT free to expand
A=0.019m^2
Change in length= 7.95mm
Original Length=740mm

Homework Equations

[/B]
F=14084391 Newtons

I've been to solve the above and have been told my original answer was incorrect. I've relooked at my work and come up with the above.

Thanks
I assume you correctly calculated the increase in length due to temperature and got 7.95mm.
How did 746mm turn into 740mm? Is that a typo?
You quote too many significant figures for the given data.
Other than that, your work looks right.

haruspex said:
I assume you correctly calculated the increase in length due to temperature and got 7.95mm.
How did 746mm turn into 740mm? Is that a typo?
You quote too many significant figures for the given data.
Other than that, your work looks right.

Yeah that looks like a typo. The increase in length has been confirmed correct as part of another question.

Thanks for the confirmation.

AutumnBeds said:

Homework Statement

A=0.019m^2
Change in length= 7.95mm
Original Length=740mm

Homework Equations

[/B]
F=14084391 Newtons

Thanks

AutumnBeds said:

Homework Statement

A=0.019m^2
Change in length= 7.95mm
Original Length=740mm

Homework Equations

[/B]
F=14084391 Newtons

Thanks
Hi Autumn beds,

I'm stuck on the same question about the induced force on the ingot and was wondering where have you got the 10^9 from in your equation
F=14084391 Newtons
I've looked through my notes and can't find anything else in the given information in relation to this, I know this was over a year ago for you.

Regards Greg.

Gregs6799 said:
where have you got the 10^9 from in your equation
Converting GPa to Pa.

What is the force of an expanding ingot?

The force of an expanding ingot refers to the amount of pressure or energy exerted on the surrounding environment as a result of the ingot expanding due to changes in temperature or pressure.

What factors affect the force of an expanding ingot?

The force of an expanding ingot is affected by several factors including the material properties of the ingot, the temperature gradient, and the rate of expansion.

How is the force of an expanding ingot calculated?

The force of an expanding ingot can be calculated using the formula F = kAΔT, where F is the force, k is the thermal expansion coefficient, A is the cross-sectional area of the ingot, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

Why is the force of an expanding ingot important to study?

The force of an expanding ingot is important to study because it can have significant impacts on the structural integrity and performance of materials in various industries, such as construction and manufacturing.

How can the force of an expanding ingot be controlled?

The force of an expanding ingot can be controlled through a number of methods, such as using materials with lower thermal expansion coefficients, designing for minimal temperature gradients, and implementing structural supports to counteract the force.