Square copper wire loop within a magnetic field

In summary, a copper wire has been bent into a square loop and arc welded at the seam. The resulting square loop has a resistance and a mass. When the loop is released, it begins to fall under the influence of gravity. The wire loop generates a current when it has nonzero speed and a magnetic force when it has nonzero speed.
cookiemnstr510510

Homework Statement

In the figures below, a copper wire of circular cross section, A, has been bent into a square loop of side length, c, and arc welded at the seam for electrical continuity. Assume that the resulting square loop has a resistance, R, and a mass, M. The loop is originally held between the poles of a large magnet such that the entire loop is within the B-field except for the very bottom wore segment (Magfield2.jpg) When the loop is released, it begins to fall under the influence of gravity.

a) what is the magnitude and orientation of the current generated in the wire loop when it has non zero speed, V?

b) What is the magnitude and direction of the resulting magnetic force on the wire loop when it has non-zero speed, v?

c) use Newtons second law to describe the resulting acceleration of the wire loop

d) use your prior answers to describe the terminal speed in terms of the given quantities.

Homework Equations

ε=vlB
I=ε/R

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I=##\frac{ε}{R}##=##\frac{vlB}{R}##=##\frac{vcB}{R}##
I see that the magnetic flux is decreasing, but not sure how to figure out the direction.
B)So when it has nonzero speed this means it is dropping. Less and less of the wire loop is within the magnetic field.
Without knowing the direction of the current I cannot calculate the direction of force, however let's put that aside for a second.
I can still say:
F=ILxB=ILBsin(90)=ILB=##\frac{vcB}{R}##(cB)=##\frac{B^2vc^2}{R}##
The RHR will prescribe the direction of force once I know which direction the current is flowing
C)F=ma→a=##\frac{F}{m}##=##\frac{B^2vc^2}{Rm}##
D)Just solve the above for v?

Attachments

• Magfield1.jpg
    Magfield1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 330
  • Magfield2.jpg
    Magfield2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 317
Physics news on Phys.org
Check out Lenz's law, Faraday's Law.

gneill said:
Check out Lenz's law, Faraday's Law.
Ahh okay, I haven't got there yet. Ill check it out

cookiemnstr510510 said:
F=ILxB=ILBsin(90)=ILB=##\frac{vcB}{R}##(cB)=##\frac{B^2vc^2}{R}##
So far, so good. (Of course you need to find the direction of current).
The RHR will prescribe the direction of force once I know which direction the current is flowing
C)F=ma→a=##\frac{F}{m}##=##\frac{B^2vc^2}{Rm}##
D)Just solve the above for v?
Well, what is F? Do you see forces balancing so there even IS a terminal velocity?

1. What is a square copper wire loop within a magnetic field?

A square copper wire loop within a magnetic field is a scientific setup used to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetic induction. It consists of a square-shaped copper wire loop placed within a magnetic field, with the ends of the wire connected to a circuit.

2. How does a square copper wire loop within a magnetic field work?

When the loop is placed within a magnetic field, the magnetic field lines will cut through the loop, inducing a current within the wire. This current can then be measured using a circuit connected to the wire, demonstrating the principle of electromagnetic induction.

3. What factors affect the induced current in a square copper wire loop within a magnetic field?

The strength of the magnetic field, the orientation of the loop within the field, and the speed at which the loop moves through the field can all affect the induced current. Additionally, the resistance of the wire and the number of turns in the loop can also impact the induced current.

4. What applications does a square copper wire loop within a magnetic field have?

This setup is commonly used in physics demonstrations and experiments to show the principles of electromagnetic induction. It also has practical applications in devices such as generators, where a rotating loop within a magnetic field can generate electricity.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with a square copper wire loop within a magnetic field?

As with any scientific experiment, it is important to follow proper safety procedures when working with a square copper wire loop within a magnetic field. This may include wearing protective gear, ensuring the equipment is properly set up, and being aware of any potential electrical hazards.