Force of spring equation problems

In summary, the mass is 6.00kg, the spring constant is 145N/m, and the acceleration is 1.80m/s. The force of the spring is equal to the negative of the spring constant times the displacement, which in this case is equal to -0.0745m. The spring displacement is a vector, but in this problem, we are being asked for the magnitude of the displacement, which is a positive number. Therefore, the correct answer is -x.
Elementard
Homework Statement
A light spring having a force constant of 145 N/m is used to pull a 6.00 kg sled on a horizontal frictionless ice rink. The sled has an acceleration of 1.80 m/s2.

By how much does the spring stretch if it pulls on the sled horizontally?
Relevant Equations
Fs= -kx
Fp= ma
m=6.00Kg
K=145N/m
a=1.80m/s

Fp=Fs
ma=-kx
(6)(1.8)=-(145)x
x=-0.0745m

I’m just wondering why I see some people make Fs=kx instead of -kx? isn’t the force of a spring a vector?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a vector. Say the sled is being pulled by the spring to the right. The spring stretches to the left which means that the displacement of the end of the spring is negative. One can formally write it as a one-dimensional vector in the negative direction using unit vector notation ##\mathbf{x}=-|\mathbf{x}|~\mathbf{\hat x}##. Then one can write a vector equation for the force, $$\mathbf{F}=-k\mathbf{x}=-k(-|\mathbf{x}|~\mathbf{\hat x})=+k|\mathbf{x}|~\mathbf{\hat x}.$$ The negative sign in the one-dimensional vector equation, ##F=-kx## indicates the direction of ##F## relative to ##x##. In this example with the spring to the right of the sled, if vector ##x## is to the left (spring extension) , vector ##F## is to the right; if vector ##x## is to the right (spring compression), vector ##F## is to the left.

Last edited:
Likes Elementard, topsquark and TSny
Thank you so much! This actually makes sense. :bow:👍

Likes kuruman
I just noticed that your answer is a negative number. You have solved for the displacement of the end of the spring which is a vector. This is incorrect. The problem is asking you by how much the spring stretches. This is a distance, i.e. the magnitude of the displacement, and a positive number.

Likes Elementard and topsquark
kuruman said:
I just noticed that your answer is a negative number. You have solved for the displacement of the end of the spring which is a vector. This is incorrect. The problem is asking you by how much the spring stretches. This is a distance, i.e. the magnitude of the displacement, and a positive number.
I would put it a little differently. "Extension" could be thought of as a distance or as a displacement.

Fs=-kx assumes the force being exerted by the spring at end A and the displacement of end A are being measured with positive in the same direction.
In this case, we are being asked for the extension, which is in the opposite direction to the force. Therefore the required answer is -x.

Likes Elementard and topsquark

What is the Force of Spring Equation?

The Force of Spring Equation is a mathematical formula that describes the relationship between the force exerted by a spring and the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. It is given by F = -kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement.

How do I calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant, denoted by k, can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the displacement of the spring. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x. The unit for spring constant is Newtons per meter (N/m).

What is the difference between a spring in series and a spring in parallel?

A spring in series is when two or more springs are connected end to end, so that the force is applied to each spring in succession. A spring in parallel is when two or more springs are connected side by side, so that the force is distributed evenly between them. The spring constant for springs in series is equal to the sum of the individual spring constants, while the spring constant for springs in parallel is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of the individual spring constants.

How does the mass of an object affect the force of a spring?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the force of a spring. However, the displacement of the spring will be greater for a heavier object, thus resulting in a greater force being exerted by the spring. This can be seen in the equation F = -kx, where x is the displacement of the spring.

What are some real-life applications of the Force of Spring Equation?

The Force of Spring Equation has various applications in engineering, physics, and everyday life. Some examples include: calculating the force needed to compress or stretch a spring in a mechanical system, designing suspension systems for vehicles, and understanding the behavior of elastic materials such as rubber bands and bungee cords.