Spring Force vs Height on a Trampoline

In summary, the conversation discusses a trampoline and a graph of the spring force versus height. The group talks about the decreasing rate of the spring force with respect to height above the trampoline and the reasoning behind it. They also address a discrepancy in the solution and the correct form of the graph, which should show two cubic curves meeting at the origin with a hysteresis loop. The conversation also touches on the interpretation of the graph in relation to the given problem in an Olympiad paper.
aspodkfpo
Poster has been reminded to post the Problem Statement and especially the Relevant Equations in schoolwork-type thread starts
Homework Statement
n/a
Relevant Equations
n/a
There is a trampoline drawn here and a graph of the spring force vs height.
I don't see why the spring force is decreasing at a decreasing rate with respect to height above trampoline.
F= kx = k * h/sin(theta), letting theta be between the horizontal and the spring.
1597818515325.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
aspodkfpo said:
spring force is decreasing at an increasing rate with respect to height above trampoline.
Is it? Looks to me like the force is zero at all heights above the trampoline rest position and decreases at a decreasing rate as the trampoline rises from its lowest position to its rest position.

haruspex said:
Is it? Looks to me like the force is zero at all heights above the trampoline rest position and decreases at a decreasing rate as the trampoline rises from its lowest position to its rest position.

Decreasing rate oops. How would you reason for a decreasing rate?

I think they meant for the spring force to be the symmetrical about the y-axis, hence the (both directions) bracket.

aspodkfpo said:
How would you reason for a decreasing rate?
Write the force as a function of h and the constant width of the trampoline, not referring to theta.
aspodkfpo said:
I think they meant for the spring force to be the symmetrical about the y-axis, hence the (both directions) bracket.
No, they mean that the graph to the left of the y-axis does not depend on whether the trampoline is going up or down, i.e. no hysteresis.

Following your questions on other problems in the Olympiad paper, I looked through some more of it and discovered that your question in this thread also comes from there, as question 13. This sheds a different light on the sketched curve.

The illustration under Marker's Comments does seem to show hysteresis. It ought to have arrows on the curves to make it clearer, but it seems to show different paths for ascent and descent. The force would be weaker as the springs contract, so the upper part (shown as a straight line) is descent.
This interpretation is supported by the comments in d ii), but I am rather confused. First, you were asked to sketch the curve, and the given solution has no hysteresis, then d ii) reads as though you are given the graph with the hysteresis in the answer booklet.

Anyway, this is not right. As I posted, we need to write the force as a function of h and constants. If the width of the trampoline is 2w then the extension of the springs is ##\sqrt{h^2+w^2}-w##, giving a vertical force component of ##kh(1-(1+\frac{h^2}{w^2})^{-\frac 12})## per spring.
For small h this approximates a total force of magnitude ##k\frac{h^3}{w^2}##. This is what explains the curve under "solution".
So the straight line portion in the diagram under Marker's Comments is spurious, whatever it was intended to illustrate. The correct picture would be two curves, each roughly cubic, but forming a hysteresis loop.

Edit:
Having looked at the answer booklet it is a little clearer - I was reading two consecutive questions as one.
Also, I see that the first graph was of force in the springs, which would be quadratic approaching the origin, whereas the second graph is force on the jumper, which is cubic as I wrote above.
The correct form of the second graph would be two cubics meeting at the origin. At the other end, they would be joined by a more-or-less straight vertical line.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Following your questions on other problems in the Olympiad paper, I looked through some more of it and discovered that your question in this thread also comes from there, as question 13. This sheds a different light on the sketched curve.

The illustration under Marker's Comments does seem to show hysteresis. It ought to have arrows on the curves to make it clearer, but it seems to show different paths for ascent and descent. The force would be weaker as the springs contract, so the upper part (shown as a straight line) is descent.
This interpretation is supported by the comments in d ii), but I am rather confused. First, you were asked to sketch the curve, and the given solution has no hysteresis, then d ii) reads as though you are given the graph with the hysteresis in the answer booklet.

Anyway, this is not right. As I posted, we need to write the force as a function of h and constants. If the width of the trampoline is 2w then the extension of the springs is ##\sqrt{h^2+w^2}-1##, giving a vertical force component of ##kh(1-(1+\frac{h^2}{w^2})^{-\frac 12})## per spring.
For small h this approximates a total force of magnitude ##k\frac{h^3}{w^2}##. This is what explains the curve under "solution".
So the straight line portion in the diagram under Marker's Comments is spurious, whatever it was intended to illustrate. The correct picture would be two curves, each roughly cubic, but forming a hysteresis loop.

Can you clarify what this means, "Looks to me like the force is zero at all heights above the trampoline rest position"?

aspodkfpo said:
Can you clarify what this means, "Looks to me like the force is zero at all heights above the trampoline rest position"?
The y-axis is the trampoline rest position, i.e. the trampoline is flat and the jumper somewhere in the air above.
For the force on the jumper, second graph, it is obviously zero to the right of the y axis.
For the force in the springs, first graph, in a real trampoline the springs would still be exerting a force. They are never relaxed.

Likes aspodkfpo
haruspex said:
The y-axis is the trampoline rest position, i.e. the trampoline is flat and the jumper somewhere in the air above.
For the force on the jumper, second graph, it is obviously zero to the right of the y axis.
For the force in the springs, first graph, in a real trampoline the springs would still be exerting a force. They are never relaxed.
Why is there hysteresis?

aspodkfpo said:
Why is there hysteresis?
Because there are always losses in springs. The energy you get out is less than the energy you put in. If you push on a spring to some point, reaching a force F, as you release it the force it exerts back on you drops below F immmediately.

Likes aspodkfpo
haruspex said:

Anyway, this is not right. As I posted, we need to write the force as a function of h and constants. If the width of the trampoline is 2w then the extension of the springs is ##\sqrt{h^2+w^2}-1##, giving a vertical force component of ##kh(1-(1+\frac{h^2}{w^2})^{-\frac 12})## per spring.

Edit:
Having looked at the answer booklet it is a little clearer - I was reading two consecutive questions as one.
Also, I see that the first graph was of force in the springs, which would be quadratic approaching the origin, whereas the second graph is force on the jumper, which is cubic as I wrote above.
The correct form of the second graph would be two cubics meeting at the origin. At the other end, they would be joined by a more-or-less straight vertical line.

How did you get through this algebra?
"
##\sqrt{h^2+w^2}-1##, giving a vertical force component of ##kh(1-(1+\frac{h^2}{w^2})^{-\frac 12})## per spring.
For small h this approximates a total force of magnitude ##k\frac{h^3}{w^2}##. "

aspodkfpo said:
How did you get through this algebra?
"
##\sqrt{h^2+w^2}-1##, giving a vertical force component of ##kh(1-(1+\frac{h^2}{w^2})^{-\frac 12})## per spring.
For small h this approximates a total force of magnitude ##k\frac{h^3}{w^2}##. "
When the centre of the trampoline is h below the unstretched position, each half forms a right angled triangle. The hypotenuse is ##\sqrt{w^2+h^2}##, so the extension is ##\sqrt{w^2+h^2}-w=w(\sqrt{1+\frac{h^2}{w^2}}-1)## (had a typo previously), the force in each half is ##kw(\sqrt{1+\frac{h^2}{w^2}}-1)## and the vertical component of each is ##kw\frac{h}{\sqrt{w^2+h^2}}(\sqrt{1+\frac{h^2}{w^2}}-1)=kh(1-(1+\frac{h^2}{w^2})^{-\frac 12})##.
For small h/w we can use the binomial expansion ##(1+\frac{h^2}{w^2})^{-\frac 12}=1-\frac 12\frac{h^2}{w^2}+\frac 38 \frac{h^2}{w^2}...## which I will truncate at ##1-\frac 12\frac{h^2}{w^2}##.
That gives the total vertical force as ##\frac{kh^3}{w^2}##.

1. What is the relationship between spring force and height on a trampoline?

The spring force on a trampoline is directly proportional to the height at which an object bounces. This means that as the height increases, the spring force also increases.

2. What factors affect the spring force on a trampoline?

The spring force on a trampoline is affected by the stiffness of the springs, the weight of the object bouncing, and the height at which the object is dropped onto the trampoline.

3. How does the spring force change as the trampoline mat wears out?

As the trampoline mat wears out, the spring force decreases because the springs are no longer able to stretch and compress as effectively. This can result in a less bouncy and less safe trampoline.

4. Is there a limit to the spring force on a trampoline?

Yes, there is a limit to the spring force on a trampoline. The maximum spring force is determined by the stiffness of the springs and the weight of the object bouncing. If the spring force exceeds this limit, the springs may break or the trampoline may become unstable.

5. How does air resistance affect the spring force on a trampoline?

Air resistance can decrease the spring force on a trampoline by slowing down the object's descent and reducing the force with which it hits the trampoline. This can result in a lower bounce height and a decrease in the overall spring force.