Force on a massless classical particle

In summary, Dickfore's equation states that a massless classical particle experiences a nonzero Newton's second law force. However, this force is not always covariant, and the path taken must be lightlike in order to not take covariant derivatives by proper time.
atyy
Science Advisor
Can a massless classical particle experience a nonzero Newton's second law force?

Dickfore produced a very interesting formula in https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3333233&postcount=52 .

Is this generally accepted? Are there other expressions that work? Or are all acceptable expressions equivalent?

Physics news on Phys.org
After posting doubts about how this would work in that other thread, I realized I thought it might work, but didn't have time to work out details. This post by Dickfore is very interesting. I was thinking that the key thing to work around, given preference to us 4 vectors is the following:

- we have a well defined 4-momentum for a massless particle (happens to have null norm)
- a null path can definitely change direction and not be geodesic (I was simply confused
for not realizing this).

but you need a consistent approach for not being able to take covariant derivatives by proper time along a path. 4-force is normally covariant derivative by proper time. What definition do you use for a lightlike path? I would hope there is something more elegant than Dickfore's post. So, for me, the key to making all this work is substituting something for covariant derivative by tau in the 4-vector formulation of relativistic kinematics.

Dickfore's equation says the force sees the energy of the particle, which reminds one a bit of gravity (as a field in flat spacetime). How about http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0405030, Eq 12? Can it hold for null 4-velocities?

Another useful reference for particle equations of motion in gravity is http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0611100.

I would also like to know if Gralla and Wald's http://arxiv.org/abs/0905.2391 derivation of the electromagnetic self-force of point charge as a certain limit applies to massless classical point charges.

Last edited:
PAllen said:
but you need a consistent approach for not being able to take covariant derivatives by proper time along a path. 4-force is normally covariant derivative by proper time. What definition do you use for a lightlike path? I would hope there is something more elegant than Dickfore's post. So, for me, the key to making all this work is substituting something for covariant derivative by tau in the 4-vector formulation of relativistic kinematics.

I don't think it's absolutely necessary to start off by defining the four-force as [itex]dp/d\tau[/itex]. For a massless particle, a finite three-force acting on it becomes an infinite four-force, so the three-force is well defined but the four-force isn't.

But if we don't use [itex]dp/d\tau[/itex] as our definition of force in relativity, and use the three-force instead, then we have to deal with the question of what is the fundamental definition of the three-force in relativity. I think the history is that very early on (maybe ca. 1920), Einstein decided that force was not a useful concept in relativity, and stopped referring to it. Newton's laws aren't valid, so it's not necessarily easy to define what is meant by the three-force, if we don't start with the four-force.

A related issue that has always bugged me, and about which I've never been able to get a satisfactory answer, is that a lot of treatments of SR derive the equation for relativistic kinetic energy by using the work-kinetic energy theorem with three-vectors, but I've never seen any justification for the assumption that the work-KE theorem should hold.

bcrowell said:
A related issue that has always bugged me, and about which I've never been able to get a satisfactory answer, is that a lot of treatments of SR derive the equation for relativistic kinetic energy by using the work-kinetic energy theorem with three-vectors, but I've never seen any justification for the assumption that the work-KE theorem should hold.

At least for massive particles, I've always been satisfied with the approach that takes 4-momentum as a definition; energy is its timelike component; rest energy its norm; and kinetic energy simply total energy - rest energy.

PAllen said:
At least for massive particles, I've always been satisfied with the approach that takes 4-momentum as a definition; energy is its timelike component; rest energy its norm; and kinetic energy simply total energy - rest energy.

I don't have any objection to any of those statements. What bothers me is the link to the 3-force, and the approach in which the work-KE theorem is used as a fundamental assumption in order to derive the relativistic relations involving energy and momentum.

After reviewing my books and finding nothing of use on this question, I searched again online and found the following:

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9508081

The first part of this paper covers exactly this topic! (A consistent approach to the dynamics of massless particles in SR).

Thank you! Looks very interesting.

PAllen said:
After reviewing my books and finding nothing of use on this question, I searched again online and found the following:

http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/9508081

The first part of this paper covers exactly this topic! (A consistent approach to the dynamics of massless particles in SR).

I got lost at this point:
Let us also introduce a space-like four-vector fk which fulfils:
fk tk = 0, (1.7)
and represents the physical three-force, exerted on the particle under consideration, as
”measured” by an observer following the world-line of the inertial frame[...]
What does it mean for a certain four-vector to "represent" a certain three-vector?

This also bugged me:
Earlier, exploring the idea of instantaneous relativistic action at a distance3[...] Instantaneous refers to the rest frame defined by the total time-like four-momentum of the rigid rotator the two massless and spinning particles happen to define.
I don't see how you can have instantaneous action at a distance in relativity. He says it's only instantaneous in the rest frame of a certain object...so it's not instantaneous in the rest frames of other objects...?? This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If object A acts on object B, then how do you decide whose frame it's instantaneous in?

Hmm, I just skimmed the claimed results. Hopefully, this weekend I can spend some time reading it.

Dickfore said:
In the same thread where I present Newton's law, I also derive the equation for the trajectory of a charged massless particle in a uniform electric field, when the particle is incident perpendicularly to the field:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3336065&postcount=68

Very interesting! If you Lorentz transform, do you use cXB for the magnetic force, and do you get the same trajectory?

Related to Force on a massless classical particle

What is a massless classical particle?

A massless classical particle is a theoretical concept in physics that describes a particle with zero mass and follows classical mechanics, meaning it does not exhibit wave-like behaviors such as interference or diffraction.

How is force defined for a massless classical particle?

Force is defined as the rate of change of momentum for a massless classical particle. This means that the force acting on the particle is equal to the product of its mass (which is zero) and its acceleration.

Can a massless classical particle experience acceleration?

Yes, a massless classical particle can experience acceleration. This is because acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity, and a massless particle can have a non-zero velocity. However, the acceleration will always be infinite since the mass of the particle is zero.

How do forces affect the motion of a massless classical particle?

Forces can cause a massless classical particle to change its velocity and direction of motion. However, the particle will always travel at the speed of light and will not experience any change in kinetic energy due to its massless nature.

What are some real-world examples of massless classical particles?

Examples of massless classical particles include photons, which are particles of light, and gluons, which are particles that mediate the strong nuclear force.