Does direct interparticle action imply advanced inertial forces?

In summary, Richard Feynman discusses the concept of varying the Schwarzschild-Tetrode-Fokker direct interparticle action in his Nobel lecture. He and John Wheeler also showed a Lorentz covariant generalization of Newton's principle of action and reaction in their paper "Classical Electrodynamics in Terms of Direct Interparticle Action." However, the idea of an advanced force is not present in standard Maxwell electrodynamics, so it cannot be used to predict observable consequences. To assess the direct interparticle action theory's prediction of a change in inertia due to advanced forces, one must use the math of that theory.
jcap
In his Nobel lecture (https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/physics/1965/feynman/lecture/) Richard Feynman states that by varying the Schwarzschild-Tetrode-Fokker direct interparticle action
$$A=-\sum_i m_i\int\big(\mathbf{\dot X_i}\cdot\mathbf{\dot X_i}\big)^{1/2}d\alpha_i+\frac{1}{2}\sum_{i\ne j}e_ie_j\iint\delta(I_{ij}^2)\ \mathbf{\dot X_i}\cdot\mathbf{\dot X_j}\ d\alpha_i\ d\alpha_j\tag{1}$$
where
$$I_{ij}^2=\big[\mathbf{X_i}(\alpha_i)-\mathbf{X_j}(\alpha_j)\big]\cdot\big[\mathbf{X_i}(\alpha_i)-\mathbf{X_j}(\alpha_j)\big]$$
one can reproduce classical electrodynamics without using the concept of the electromagnetic field.

In their paper Classical Electrodynamics in Terms of Direct Interparticle Action (https://cds.cern.ch/record/1062647/files/RevModPhys.21.425.pdf) John Wheeler and Richard Feynman showed in the section Action and Reaction on pages 429-430 that the energy-momentum transferred by retarded forces from particle ##i## to particle ##j## along a null worldline connecting them is equal and opposite to the energy-momentum transferred by advanced forces from particle ##j## back to particle ##i## along the same null worldline. Therefore they had discovered a Lorentz covariant generalization of Newton's principle of action and reaction.

Following the Feynman Lectures vol.1 ch. 28 section 28-2 (https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/I_28.html) I imagine two stationary particles with charges ##e_1## and ##e_2## separated by a large distance ##r## so that only the radiative electromagnetic forces, which decay as ##1/r##, are relevant.

Let us suppose that I apply a contact force to particle ##1## at time ##t## that gives it an acceleration ##\mathbf{a}(t)## perpendicular to the line joining the two particles.

The retarded electromagnetic force received by particle ##2## at time ##t+r/c##, having been emitted by particle ##1## at time ##t##, is given by

$$\mathbf{F^{21}}(t+r/c)=\frac{-e_1 e_2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 c^2r}\mathbf{a}(t)\tag{2}$$

For simplicity let us suppose that the mass of particle ##2## is very large so that it hardly accelerates at all and therefore does not produce a retarded force back on particle ##1##.

However if the direct interparticle action ##(1)## is a correct description of Nature then there should be an advanced reaction force back on particle ##1## at time ##t##, emitted by particle ##2## at time ##t+r/c##, given by

$$\mathbf{F^{12}}(t)=\frac{e_1 e_2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 c^2r}\mathbf{a}(t)\tag{2}$$

As this back reaction force is proportional to the acceleration then it will manifest itself as an apparent change in the inertia of particle ##1##, ##\Delta m_1##, given by

$$\Delta m_1=\frac{e_1 e_2}{4\pi\epsilon_0 c^2r}\tag{3}$$

This apparent change in inertia of particle ##1## should be detectable. Has any such effect been measured?

Physics news on Phys.org
You appear to be mixing up two different theories: standard Maxwell electrodynamics (presented in the Feynman lectures) and the "direct interparticle action" theory (presented in the Wheeler-Feynman paper). That isn't valid.

The "retarded force" formula you give is from standard Maxwell electrodynamics. There is no "advanced force" in Maxwell electrodynamics. So you can't use formulas from Maxwell electrodynamics to predict any observable consequences from an "advanced force".

If you want to assess whether the "direct interparticle action" theory predicts a change in the inertia of a charged particle due to advanced forces, you need to use the math of that theory.

What is direct interparticle action?

Direct interparticle action refers to the interaction between particles without the involvement of any intermediary forces. In other words, the particles directly interact with each other.

What are advanced inertial forces?

Advanced inertial forces are hypothetical forces that are proposed to explain the observed behavior of particles in certain situations, such as the apparent attraction between two stationary particles. These forces are not yet fully understood and are still a subject of scientific debate.

Does direct interparticle action always imply advanced inertial forces?

No, direct interparticle action does not always imply advanced inertial forces. There are other known forces, such as electromagnetic and gravitational forces, that can also cause particles to interact directly with each other.

Why is the concept of advanced inertial forces important?

The concept of advanced inertial forces is important because it helps scientists to better understand the behavior of particles and their interactions. It also provides a framework for further research and development in the field of particle physics.

What are some potential applications of understanding direct interparticle action and advanced inertial forces?

Understanding direct interparticle action and advanced inertial forces has the potential to impact various fields, such as materials science, engineering, and technology. It can also help in the development of new technologies, such as advanced propulsion systems and energy sources.