Force on a superconducting cube

In summary: Your Name]In summary, Ian is seeking help with his calculations for a three dimensional magnetic field. He has correctly set up the equations and performed the integration steps, but is struggling with getting accurate plots in Mathematica. Suggestions for double checking values and units and seeking assistance from a colleague or professor are offered.
IanBerkman
Hi everyone,

I need some help to look if I did these calculations right.Let us assume a three dimensional magnetic field:

##\vec{B}(x,y,z) = B_x(x,y,z)\hat{x} + B_y(x,y,z)\hat{y} + B_z(x,y,z)\hat{z}##

The equation for the force on a superconducting particle in a magnetic field is given by:

##\vec{F} = -\frac{2}{\mu_0}\oint[\vec{n}||\vec{B}||^2-\vec{B}(\vec{n}\cdot\vec{B})]\,\mathrm{d}S##

Where the integration takes place over the surface of the superconducting particle.

Let us assume a cube with edges of a length ##2l## and its center at ##(x',y',z')##
For the front face of the cube (at ##x = x'+l## and parallel to the yz-plane) the normal vector is just ##\hat{x}##

The force on this face becomes:
##F_{x1} = -\frac{2}{\mu_0}\oint[\hat{x}(B_x^2+B_y^2+B_z^2)-B_x(\hat{x}\cdot B_x\hat{x})]\,\mathrm{d}S =\\
-\frac{2}{\mu_0}\hat{x}\oint B_x^2+B_y^2+B_z^2- B_x^2\,\mathrm{d}S =\\
-\frac{2}{\mu_0}\hat{x}\oint B_y^2+B_z^2\,\mathrm{d}S##

Switching to a double integral:
##F_{x1} =-\frac{2}{\mu_0}\hat{x}\int_{y'-l}^{y'+l}\int_{z'-l}^{z'+l}B_y(x'+l,y,z)^2+B_z(x'+l,y,z)^2\,\mathrm{d}z\mathrm{d}y##

For the back face (at x = x'-l) I just replaced the normal vector with ##-\hat{x}## and end up with:
##F_{x2} = \frac{2}{\mu_0}\hat{x}\int_{y'-l}^{y'+l}\int_{z'-l}^{z'+l}B_y(x'-l,y,z)^2+B_z(x'-l,y,z)^2\,\mathrm{d}z\mathrm{d}y##

And the resulting force in the x direction is then ##F_{x1}+F_{x2}##
Same story with the forces on the y and z faces.

Did I do this right? Because I want to run these equations through Mathematica but I keep ending up getting wrong plots.

Thanks in advance, Ian

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Ian,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your calculations. From a quick glance, it looks like you have set up the equations correctly and your integration steps are also correct. However, it is difficult to determine if you have made any errors without seeing the specific plots or values you are getting in Mathematica.

One suggestion I have is to double check your values for the magnetic field components at each point on the surface of the cube. Make sure they are consistent and match the direction of the normal vector at that point. Additionally, check that your units are consistent throughout the calculations.

If you are still having trouble with your plots, I would recommend reaching out to a colleague or professor for assistance. It can be helpful to have a second set of eyes review your work and offer suggestions for improvement. I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations.

What is a superconducting cube?

A superconducting cube is a cube-shaped material that has the ability to conduct electricity with zero resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, known as the critical temperature.

What is the force on a superconducting cube?

The force on a superconducting cube is the force exerted on the cube by an external magnetic field. This force is also known as the Lorentz force and is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the superconducting current flowing through the cube.

How is the force on a superconducting cube calculated?

The force on a superconducting cube can be calculated using the formula F = IL x B, where F is the force, I is the current flowing through the cube, L is the length of the cube in the direction of the magnetic field, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

What factors affect the force on a superconducting cube?

The force on a superconducting cube is affected by the strength and direction of the external magnetic field, the critical temperature of the superconducting material, and the size and shape of the cube.

What are the practical applications of studying the force on a superconducting cube?

Studying the force on a superconducting cube can help in understanding the behavior of superconducting materials and can be applied in technologies such as maglev trains, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. It can also aid in the development of more efficient and powerful superconductors for various applications.